What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 commentary

Big Pete

Referee
Keep Freddy away from teams like Penrith and Sydney and he'll go alright.

Isn't afraid to wear his heart on his sleeve with those teams which is a huge turn off.

I found Gussy boy funny tonight.

Almost like he sensed he was too bias last game completely shitting on the Blues without offering the Maroons any credit so every now and then he'd say 'I don't know' on a decision that was pretty obvious.

Then in the last ten minutes, after being a good little boy he couldn't help himself and just started yelling cattledog and praising David Klemmer.

Onya Gussy.

Big Pete

Referee
Do Queensland commentators even get a word in edge-wise outside of the half-time presentation?

Wally doesn't commentate, he just spectates. This is evident with the odd 'OHHHH' that pops up every now and then.

Sadly, it's the best 9 can manage. The days of Billy J Smith and Mick Veivers are well and truly over.

Ojlovednicole

Juniors
If ch 9 were fair dinkum (which they arent) the ch 9 team would look like;

Ray Warren (short term)
Peter Sterling
Andrew Voss
Dan Ginnane
Gus Gould
Paul Vautin
Sideline eye: Fittler (for laughs)

Hadley is made for radio, Tim Gilbert is atrocious and Lockyer, Lewis and Johns shouldnt get the job just because they were great stars of the game.

insert.pause

First Grade
you have to listen to gould in the context of a clear agenda against how the game is being run, whether you agree with him or not, it's the same endless snide remarks & rants that he would have while whinging about gallop, the commentary box has become a pulpit for his incessant dummyspit and no one else has the balls to tell him to shutup & put him in his place on his rubbish. I am a Qlder, inglis was no try every day of the week. Blues no try was off forward pass, but last pass wasn't as bad as previous one, but again right outcome. Qld were well on top going into last quarter & I thought NSW looked gone, much like in game 1, but qld just fell away and better team won.

Vic Mackey

Referee
If ch 9 were fair dinkum (which they arent) the ch 9 team would look like;

Ray Warren (short term)
Peter Sterling
Andrew Voss
Dan Ginnane
Gus Gould
Paul Vautin
Sideline eye: Fittler (for laughs)

Hadley is made for radio, Tim Gilbert is atrocious and Lockyer, Lewis and Johns shouldnt get the job just because they were great stars of the game.

i like ginnane as a commentator and he hosts his sports shows well. Don't know how he'd go as a TV commentator though. Plus I know someone who works with him at triple m and she said no one likes him. Said hes the most arrogant guy at the network.

some11

Referee
Gould is the worst though. Absolutely death rides NSW all game.... but if they manage to get up he is suddenly going on about how dominant they were! Pisses me off to no end

He knows exactly what he's doing too, he's respected enough not to get called out on it.

Sterlo is a saint, bless his heart. Always gives credit to something you may have missed.

redvscotty

First Grade
i like ginnane as a commentator and he hosts his sports shows well. Don't know how he'd go as a TV commentator though. Plus I know someone who works with him at triple m and she said no one likes him. Said hes the most arrogant guy at the network.

So what? Ginnane is the best on radio and i would suggest would do well on TV.

Ojlovednicole

Juniors
Not only do i think Ginnane could work well on TV, I believe he is the man to fill Rabs' shoes in 3 or 4 years as the dominant commentator of the game.

I am dead serious.

nrlnrl

First Grade
We've been putting up with Wally Lewis yelling 'GO YOU GOOD THING!!' For years everytime qld make a break

Yep, the biased comments are ok, but if you want to act like fan & yell out things like 'go you good thing', please sit in the crowd with other fans.

mozza91

Coach
Sterling is great and Rabs isn't too bad. Gould is atrocious and is more anti NSW than any of the Queenslanders and he genuinly seems to hate the game itself. The rest are pretty average. The continual Thurston circle jerk is getting extremly tiresome too. Every footballer is competitive FFS.

Dragon

Coach
Phil Gould is an absolute blight on the game. One could argue that he has done more damage to the game as a whole through his negative and thoughtless commentary over the past few years. The agenda he has against the NRL is palpable through his commentary and seriously detracts from the whole viewing experience

Here f**king here.

In fact the same could be said about that dickhead warren smith. Pretty much single handedly responsible for the 2 ref system yet shits on refs every week. They never stop whingeing, nothing will ever be good enough.

These guys are hypocrites of the highest order

Canard

Immortal
With NSW pressing the line in the 2nd half, about 15m out Jennings drops the ball cold whilst being tackled.

Everyone at the ground saw it, everyone on TV saw it.

The commentators say nothing, not a thing. It shows they don't even watch

POPEYE

Coach
Foxtel once had a button on the remote that cancelled the commentary but left the crowd noise, I try to replicate that to some extent by putting the game on surround sound and turning the volume down to hear the crowd just enough for atmosphere

Pity all games aren't broadcasted with such a choice, some people need/want what is happening to be explained and some are happy to research player names and know everything about the game itself that is needed to know

saint.nick

Coach

I get that impression about Ginnane too. I love his radio commentary, but when he hosts the talk shows he always comes off as really cocky and self-righteous. But who knows, he could still be a good bloke.

I do think that he should be Rabs' successor. He may be a radio commentator, but I don't think the transition from radio to TV should be that hard. TV commentary is a lot more about letting the game in front of the viewer commentate itself, and the commentator then fills gaps of silence with discussion related to the game. Dan Ginnane knows to generate discussion, and I'm confident that he can tweak his style to suit TV.

Last edited:

God-King Dean

Immortal
Foxtel once had a button on the remote that cancelled the commentary but left the crowd noise, I try to replicate that to some extent by putting the game on surround sound and turning the volume down to hear the crowd just enough for atmosphere

Pity all games aren't broadcasted with such a choice, some people need/want what is happening to be explained and some are happy to research player names and know everything about the game itself that is needed to know

I put headphones in and listen to music lol

Latest posts