What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 disgrace

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What difference does it make to NRL games being shown in Adelaide.
It doesn't cost them anymore and surely reruns of Customs and Heartbreak Ridge don't bring in more advertising dollars.

They must bring in more advertising dollars. The networks will show whatever draws the most viewers. This allows them to charge advertisers the most for flogging their shit in the breaks.

At least I could watch the Sixers win the basketball while watching the NRL on my iPad.

I reckon this on-demand model is the future, at least for live sport.

guruminga

Juniors
I heard a few years back that SANFL were paying or pressuring TV broadcasters in Adelaide not to show live NRL games. They didn't want people to get interested in League which could draw numbers away from grassroots Aussie Rules.

It might even have been Haynzy that told me.

G

Haynzy

First Grade
They must bring in more advertising dollars. The networks will show whatever draws the most viewers. This allows them to charge advertisers the most for flogging their shit in the breaks.

I'm not convinced. Seriously, the crap they have been showing instead is laughable.

Haynzy

First Grade
I heard a few years back that SANFL were paying or pressuring TV broadcasters in Adelaide not to show live NRL games. They didn't want people to get interested in League which could draw numbers away from grassroots Aussie Rules.

It might even have been Haynzy that told me.

G

Wasn't me mate but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

spiderdan

Bench
If no merkin pays, the shows don't get made at all.

The creation of these shows are funded by investors. If there's insufficient return on their investment why would they stump up the cash in the first place?
i agree, except their expected returns are based around what goes on in their primary market, that being North America for most of the shows we watch here. Most of those shows are made available to stream on the North American tv network websites almost as soon as they have aired. Whatever returns the networks get from selling to secondary markets is just a bonus. The networks here could actually make some decent dough (or better than what they currently do) by genuinely fast tracking airing of shows, but not making them run 30 mins over their scheduled time because they want to play a few extra ads. They basically push away their own audiences through their own actions.
Two examples- arrow on ch 9 - they play the show 6 months after it airs. 6 months after all the spoilers are put on line. Given the global community has got smaller the last ten years through the Internet and people that get into these shows want to discuss them with others online (similar to people discussing footy on forums - how did we deviate???) they don't want to be talking about stuff that was talked about six months ago. Next example ill use is agents of shield. The show is meant to run parallel to the marvel cinematic universe movies as events cross over. Seven started playing the show one day after it aired in the USA. Good move. Until they started playing the "reality" show that aired immediately before for an extra 20 mins. So instead of airing in its advertised 830 slot it started playing at 850, with extra ads, with a huge ad break added in before they play the last minute of the show. It irked the viewers and made them tune out and/or download the show, making their audience drop as well as the premiums they could charge on their ads.

Poorly run fta networks are what make people d/l plain and simple. It's the same reason why nine's nrl ratings stink so bad for their delayed games and why the ratings aren't anywhere near as good on the live Friday night game.

Sorry for the essay.

strider

Post Whore
What difference does it make to NRL games being shown in Adelaide.
It doesn't cost them anymore and surely reruns of Customs and Heartbreak Ridge don't bring in more advertising dollars.

Maybe the AFL is paying them extra to not show it here.

At least I could watch the Sixers win the basketball while watching the NRL on my iPad.

wouldn't surprise me at all .... and don't discount politics and personalities - maybe someone with say at 9 in SA is very pro-AFL/anti-NRL and they push their own agenda .... i know for a fact there is politics and deals being done for how prominant different sports are on media sites

spiderdan

Bench
david gyngell maybe needs to look at how the afl ratings and fox nrl ratings have fared over the last few years before blaming the fixed schedule for his networks crap ratings.

here's a novel thought: ask your consumers why they aren't tuning in to watch your crappy delivery of a great product. considering the crap we have got on ch9 regularly for many years it doesn't surprise me that a high placed network exec is so out of touch with their market.

david gyngell maybe needs to look at how the afl ratings and fox nrl ratings have fared over the last few years before blaming the fixed schedule for his networks crap ratings.

here's a novel thought: ask your consumers why they aren't tuning in to watch your crappy delivery of a great product. considering the crap we have got on ch9 regularly for many years it doesn't surprise me that a high placed network exec is so out of touch with their market.

Yeh, on top of the presentation, the fact that the audio is f**kwitathon etc, I really love the way they shoot the game using HD cameras, then show it in SD, resulting in much worse picture quality than 'normal' SD.

Sheep dog

Juniors
I am so fired up that I am going to write a letter.

I wrote a letter and got this back in regard to Adelaide coverage.

Hi Sheep

Thanks for your email.

We accept your frustration and appreciate your feedback. We have raised the issue with Channel Nine and we are waiting on a response.

In the meantime, I have ensured your comments are registered and passed on.

Thanks for your support of Rugby League, and again for your feedback.

Kind regards
#####

Supporter Liaison

spiderdan

Bench
Weren't they supposed to switch to HD this season?
they said that the station overcame a technical glitch that prevented them from broadcasting in HD. I took that to mean they could and would now broadcast on their hd channel, gem, in hd.

Apparently before this year the southern states got nrl on gem, so given we are still watching Lego people on nine, I think it means they can show the game in HD to those states, but won't do it for the states where nrl is actually watched and followed by large chunks of the population.

Gyngel also doesn't seem to get that no one gives a f**k about the delayed Friday night game and plenty of people that have fox will wait a little longer to watch nine's delayed Sunday game on fox in HD.

The Atari 2600 I had when I was a kid had better resolution than nine have on large screen displays.

Gronk

Staff member
Weren't they supposed to switch to HD this season?

They do telecast in HD on GEM. Just not in Sydney or Brisbane. :crazy:

This is from GEM Melbourne.

Attachments

• gem.jpg
    gem.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Latest posts