What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 wants to kill of a sydney club

STORM.99/07

Bench
How about the media report on more positive stories about the NRL instead of running it down all the time. NRL players do alot of charity work but how many times do we hear about it. listening to media reports it all doom and gloom.
With all the reporting of Storm and their tactics was absolutely disgusting even though it was proven that all teams have wrestling coaches and Storm weren`t the first team to get one.
I have been a member of Storm since 99 and I just wondered why the media were killing rugby league.
i was at a game last year wearing my Storm jersey and i was spat on and called Storm scum.I was horrified but I told the guy I was a Proud Storm member

macavity

Referee
If the NRL commission isn’t there to grow - i.e. expand - the game... what the hell are they doing?

This talk of shutting down teams is nuts. Two new teams - Perth and Brisbane.

An extra game.

And 9 can pay for it, not dictate terms.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
How's our track record at this stuff...
What you’ve described here is very similar to what was promised from super rugby.

I think it’s fair to say that super rugby has not been a success.

Mergers have worked awesomely..

Stgeorge took over Steelers
West's now own balmain,, so much balmain it's even a fc anymore
North's are in reserve grade..

hutch

First Grade
If the NRL commission isn’t there to grow - i.e. expand - the game... what the hell are they doing?

An extra game.

This. End of discussion!

Reactions: Vee

PARRA_FAN

Coach

An extra game.

Thank you.

Two new teams cant hurt the broadcast deal especially the ones mentioned

Why should Ch 9 dictate how many teams there should be?

Ridiculous

sempmrh

Juniors
How about the media report on more positive stories about the NRL instead of running it down all the time. NRL players do alot of charity work but how many times do we hear about it. listening to media reports it all doom and gloom.
With all the reporting of Storm and their tactics was absolutely disgusting even though it was proven that all teams have wrestling coaches and Storm weren`t the first team to get one.
I have been a member of Storm since 99 and I just wondered why the media were killing rugby league.
i was at a game last year wearing my Storm jersey and i was spat on and called Storm scum.I was horrified but I told the guy I was a Proud Storm member
Rugby league is built on negativity and that negativity is fueled by the rugby league media.

Dark Corner

Juniors
How's our track record at this stuff...

Mergers have worked awesomely..

Stgeorge took over Steelers
West's now own balmain,, so much balmain it's even a fc anymore
North's are in reserve grade..
One ground mergers might work in the long run alongside freeing up spaces for new teams to enter the NRL.
Merge Parramatta/Penrith with all games at Bankwest and add Perth.
Merge West Tigers and Canterbury with all games at ANZ and add 2nd Brisbane team.
Merge Souths and Roosters with all games at new sis and add Central Coast.
St.George to become the Illawarra Dragons at stay in the Gong.

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
One ground mergers might work in the long run alongside freeing up spaces for new teams to enter the NRL.
Merge West Tigers and Canterbury with all games at ANZ and add 2nd Brisbane team.

Been there done that .. got the t shirt .

If u kill one Sydney team I think you kill RL

BadnMean

Juniors

Well, Sydney won't like it.

I for one welcome a new history vs the Peels, the Woggies (not racist, Wests + Dogs ship-name), the Roufies & the Steelers (Steelers were good. At least Wishart & Darren Frtiz n Girdler put in.)

BadnMean

Juniors
Been there done that .. got the t shirt .

If u kill one Sydney team I think you kill RL

Said Sydney & no one else.

Newtown, the Bears & the Rabbitoes (& all the faded mergies) all say hi.

The Rabbitoes came back but the league carried on merrily with our giving a stuff while they were gone. The sky stayed up.

There's not a professional sports league in the world which doesn't cycle through clubs (well, the crap ones) in one way or another over time.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
This really re-enforces the fact that the NRL needs to get the f**k away from Channel 9 as soon as possible.

The way they think that they own the sport and can dictate terms is shocking. They used to pull the same shit with cricket, thankfully CA had the guts to roll the dice with a new broadcaster - and last summers test coverage was a breath of fresh air.

Tom Malone was quoted in the Herald today saying he was disappointed that "emotion" was injected into his proposal (specifically in response to Scott Morrison's comments about potentially axing the Sharks). I mean, really?! WTF is this guy on? If people didn't feel emotionally invested, they would not follow a team, nor the game, hence they would never watch it in the first place. This guy comes across as a complete moron.

Said Sydney & no one else.

Newtown, the Bears & the Rabbitoes (& all the faded mergies) all say hi.

The Rabbitoes came back but the league carried on merrily with our giving a stuff while they were gone. The sky stayed up.

There's not a professional sports league in the world which doesn't cycle through clubs (well, the crap ones) in one way or another over time.

If life went on without Souffs, the NRL wouldn’t have bothered with the expense of bringing them back in - especially after an exhaustive court case win. They obviously felt they were better off with them than without them.

I live in the inner west and can tell you most of the old Newtown fans are now Swans members. Henson has AFL sticks which it didn’t before.

I only know four ex Bears fans. One gave the game away completely and they others have Swans memberships. The NRL would be wise to conduct a survey (if it’s possible) of fans of clubs that got kicked out. It seems to me that the only thing you achieve is you deliver fans to a rival code.

Generalzod

Immortal
Tom Malone was quoted in the Herald today saying he was disappointed that "emotion" was injected into his proposal (specifically in response to Scott Morrison's comments about potentially axing the Sharks). I mean, really?! WTF is this guy on? If people didn't feel emotionally invested, they would not follow a team, nor the game, hence they would never watch it in the first place. This guy comes across as a complete moron.
Yep I have emotionally invested nearly 40 years of my life following the Sharks the good and the bad I was at the ground when we won our first premiership The tears was flowing....

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
What you’ve described here is very similar to what was promised from super rugby.

I think it’s fair to say that super rugby has not been a success.

Promising and delivering are two very different things.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If life went on without Souffs, the NRL wouldn’t have bothered with the expense of bringing them back in - especially after an exhaustive court case win. They obviously felt they were better off with them than without them.

I live in the inner west and can tell you most of the old Newtown fans are now Swans members. Henson has AFL sticks which it didn’t before.

I only know four ex Bears fans. One gave the game away completely and they others have Swans memberships. The NRL would be wise to conduct a survey (if it’s possible) of fans of clubs that got kicked out. It seems to me that the only thing you achieve is you deliver fans to a rival code.

It’s amazing how afl has managed to take over these RL fans with just two clubs for the whole city yet the argument seems to be nrl needs nine to hold them? They must be doing something the nrl isn’t?

adamkungl

Immortal
It’s amazing how afl has managed to take over these RL fans with just two clubs for the whole city yet the argument seems to be nrl needs nine to hold them? They must be doing something the nrl isn’t?

If the NRL doesnt have a club in my suburb im gonna follow the AFL which only has a club in one suburb

They must have been huuuge RL and Bears fans to follow a completely different sport instead of continuing to follow their club that still exists in second grade.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the NRL doesnt have a club in my suburb im gonna follow the AFL which only has a club in one suburb

They must have been huuuge RL and Bears fans to follow a completely different sport instead of continuing to follow their club that still exists in second grade.

Maybe all Sydney RL fans are just closet afl fans waiting for an excuse to jump ship?

T-Boon

Coach
I think this threat that gets thrown out there that if a Sydney club gets dumped its fans will jump ship to AFL is a very good reason to increase representative RL and decrease NRL. Give these fans other levels of the game they can get hooked on. The NRL comp should be shortened in part to accommodate more representative RL.