What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel nein commentators

undertaker

Coach
I could not think of a more overpaid person in NSW than Ray Hadley

Lesson to learn: compromise your core beliefs (e.g. Hadley was strongly resistant to CC Bears expansion until Singo got the Bears bid rolling and suddenly Hadley towed the company line and wanted Melbourne out of the comp), be a brownoser and suck up to the ppl at the top (even better, build a statue to Rabs) and you too could be in with a chance of pocketing a $2 million/year paycheck.:lol:

If that doesn't work, you could always start off driving cabs:lol:

Last edited:

Yoda

Juniors
Lesson to learn: compromise your core beliefs (e.g. Hadley was strongly resistant to CC Bears expansion until Singo got the Bears bid rolling and suddenly Hadley towed the company line and wanted Melbourne out of the comp), be a brownoser and suck up to the ppl at the top (even better, build a statue to Rabs) and you too could be in with a chance of pocketing a $2 million/year paycheck.:lol:

He spent many years bagging the footy show, now he's accepting $$$ from them too. It seems like he's had a blew with everyone at some stage of his life. Maybe his wife makes him work 7 days per week to get him out of the house??

RABK

Referee
So much better without Gould. They should get Fittler up in the box with Johns though. Johns is insightful, but he is a bit reserved with Warren. When the penrith winger fell over celebrating that try Joey and Freddy surely would have said soem funny one liners and giggled for 5 minutes.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I think Johns is very insightful as you'd expect from a great halfback. Unfortunately he's as articulate as drunken squid chewing a mouthful of clams.

Send him to Switzerland for 6 months of finishing school and he might be the next Sterlo.

Brutus

Referee
Also, many on here have made the point about how the CCT program on Saturday (12-5pm) talks about everything and anything but RL, yet it is the flagship "LEAGUE" show on radio (more like the radio version of The Footy Show) on the station that has the 'exclusive' radio rights (I won't get started on this point, as that has been mentioned in detail in another thread). CCT obtains good ratings not because it's good, but because it draws in a large demographic of people from Hadley's weekday program who are non-RL supporters. At much as a lot of ppl love to take the piss out of 2SM (for obvious reasons), they're the only radio station that talks about league on Saturdays - even during the off-season.

I'm pretty sure the George and Paul show on 2UE outrates the CCT in Sydney and the CCT always gets beaten by ABC Rugby League Grandstand in Brisbane.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Caught the second half of Panthers vs Eels & have these two comments

1: LOL@Parra
2: How much better was the commentary without Phil Gould? It was actually bearable. Rabs & Sterlo had a great chemistry going.

JamesBrandy

Juniors
Couldnt care less how hard he works. Hes a horrible commentator.

+1

I vote we sack everybody except Sterlo and get Billy Birmingham to do it.

For the games he can't do, get Freddy and Joey to do it, and make sure there's a bottle Jagermeister in the box.

Darren Lockyer is AWFUL as a backing commentator. As much as I love him, he shouldn't be anywhere near a microphone. (not just because of his voice)

Hooch

Juniors
He is still complete shite. It will take years for him to become a decent tv caller, if he is indeed capable of it. Frankly he will never last that long.

Look at the way Rabs calls general play; just the players names, if he can remember them. Otherwise silence.

undertaker

Coach
He spent many years bagging the footy show, now he's accepting $$$ from them too. It seems like he's had a blew with everyone at some stage of his life.

The part in bold is what annoys me. A couple of weeks ago on the "5 in the Bin" segment, he said "....the legendary Fatty Vautin". Yeah....Fatty was so legendary to Hadley to the point where he wouldn't let the Big Marn appear on TFS until as recently as 2010. As much as I think Fatty is past his use-by date and it sounds like him and Hadley have kissed and made up sometime over the past couple of years, it must be a bitter pill for him to swallow after all the years of bagging and abuse he and Sterlo had to endure from many in the media, but moreso especially from Hadley and his friend DUI, who both put the sword into them at every opportunity.

However, the most hypocritical moment was during 2000/01 when 2GB had the rights whilst he was still at 2UE. He tried to get 2GB barred from calling games off the monitor in the studio rather than at the ground, which he successfully did. Then, when he's at 2GB, he himself started calling Sat 5:30pm games off the tv monitor in the studio, as well as interstate Sunday arvo matches.

Hadley: The King of backflips

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Caught the second half of Panthers vs Eels & have these two comments

1: LOL@Parra
2: How much better was the commentary without Phil Gould? It was actually bearable. Rabs & Sterlo had a great chemistry going.

Gus taking on the role as the duke of Penrith is a blessing in disguise: more time devoted to Penrith; less time in the commentary box.

hellteam

First Grade
Hadley has the "skill" of making television sound like am radio. I swear his voice has no bass. It's so strange when sterlo speaks and then Hadley does and it sounds like someone has changed the frequency

Brutus

Referee
Hadley has the "skill" of making television sound like am radio. I swear his voice has no bass. It's so strange when sterlo speaks and then Hadley does and it sounds like someone has changed the frequency

I know exactly what you mean here.

I said that to my missus whilst watching the game last night. His voice sounds tinny on TV and lacks bass big time.

Every other 9 caller comes through loud and clear - even the higher-voiced ones like Voss.

nqboy

First Grade
I've never had the pleasure of listening to Ray before. Either that or I've never had to put up with him before and I've read with interest the comments about him switching to Nein and elbowing Vossy out.

Waited a few weeks to form an opinion and have decided I can just about put up with the rest of his work but he gets way too excitedd and goes OTT whenever someone goes close to scoring.

gUt

Coach
I dunno if anyone else mentioned this but last night Tim Gilbert asked Hoffman if he was ready for an Origin callup or something. Josh had to remind him that he plays for NZ.

Then tonight I'm pretty sure Mark Gasnier called DCE "Mitch". Pretty quality if true.