What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel nein commentators

adamkungl

Immortal
Didn't see him tonight, but last week was an improvement on his earlier work. Will be ok if he can adjust to TV rather than radio

IanG

Coach
However, the most hypocritical moment was during 2000/01 when 2GB had the rights whilst he was still at 2UE. He tried to get 2GB barred from calling games off the monitor in the studio rather than at the ground, which he successfully did. Then, when he's at 2GB, he himself started calling Sat 5:30pm games off the tv monitor in the studio, as well as interstate Sunday arvo matches.

Hadley: The King of backflips

To be fair how do you know that was his doing? How do you know it wasn't 2GB management's doing as a bid to save money? Not exactly a cheap exercise to send them up to Brisbane or Townsville or over to Auckland etc

IanG

Coach
Old habbits die hard. When you'd been doing things a certain way for 25 years then it's hard to make an adjustment

undertaker

Coach
I remember hearing this several years ago, but wasn't there a Roosters match where he stopped calling it towards the end of it because it was apparently boring, and the CCT spent the remainder of the show either taking calls or talking about other random things WHILST THE GAME WAS STILL ON?

eozsmiles

Bench
He talks too much and a bit quick. Richie Benaud says that if you can't add anything to the picture then don't say anything. With a radio background Ray is scared of silence and I think he forgets that the viewers can see everything.

Rabbits can call a piece of play that lasts about 5-10 seconds - "Ben Hannant is met by the defence and tackled 20m out......plays the ball...... it goes to Wallace...cut out finds Thaiday but the defence reads it well and he's brought down 10m out on the last".

Ray says - "Brisbane running right to left on your screen as Ben Hannant hits the ball up for the 12th time tonight and makes 11m before being hit hard in a ball and all tackle by two South Sydney defenders in David Taylor over the top and Sam Burgess below and together they bring him down 21m out from the attacking line and 15m in from touch in the south eastern corner of the ground in front of this capacity crowd as Hannant plays the ball to Beale at acting half who finds Wallace at first receiver who throws a pass which cuts out Teo and finds Thaiday steaming on to the ball he almost goes through a half gap and is caught around the bootlaces by John Sutton 11m out from the South Sydney line as referee Shane Hayne calls held on tackle 5 with 14 minutes gone with Brisbane enjoying a wealth of early possession in this round 4 clash here at Suncorp Stadium for nine's friday night football.........".

undertaker

Coach
To be fair how do you know that was his doing? How do you know it wasn't 2GB management's doing as a bid to save money? Not exactly a cheap exercise to send them up to Brisbane or Townsville or over to Auckland etc

By that logic Ian, do you think he was FORCED to call SL matches in 1997 after taking a strong, public anti-SL stance he did at the time (so much so to the point where he sat out of the Footy Show for 1 1/2 yrs)? No one forces you to do anything if you don't want to. He clearly compromised on his beliefs/bowed down to his imperial masters, so to speak, in order to jump the pecking order and this was evident with the CC Bears expansion bid where he vehemently opposed it until his boss at 2GB started to back the bid and all of a sudden we start hearing about how the Bears should be in the NRL and that the Storm should be out (whether you agree or disagree with his opinion on the CC Bears expansion bid is irrelevant).

Last edited:

wibble

Bench
I still can't stand him as a person, but I think he improved again on Friday. Or maybe I'm getting used to his droning. Now he is just mediocre.

Miller Lite

Juniors
His style doesn't work on TV. He's a radio broadcaster and that's wat it feels like watching the games he calls.

As my 2 year old says...."I don't like it"

undertaker

Coach
and why does he get to commentate on his own, its just him gabbing on

That Broncos/Cowboys game, where he was still commentating in radio style, must've been the easiest paycheck Wally Lewis, Fatty and Darren Lockyer have ever made. They barely said a word in that match.

undertaker

Coach
Old habbits die hard. When you'd been doing things a certain way for 25 years then it's hard to make an adjustment

It was interesting watching that RWC semi-final last year. Although I'm not a Union supporter (I only watched it due to the "event" status), it was such a boring match to watch with so many stoppages (the myriad of entertaining passages of play in the RL test match earlier that day left the so-called "biggest match in the Wallabies' history" for dead), yet Hadley kept speaking at the speed of light whilst his co-commentators, Slackey and George Gregan, were in shock at hearing Union commentary like that. From their commentary, it sounded like they themselves were thinking "Wow! I didn't think Union was actually this interesting":lol:

Hadley's call that night was a big kick in the gut for ppl like Gordon Bray who actually have called Union for many years and know 1000x more about the game than him.

Last edited:
I remember hearing this several years ago, but wasn't there a Roosters match where he stopped calling it towards the end of it because it was apparently boring, and the CCT spent the remainder of the show either taking calls or talking about other random things WHILST THE GAME WAS STILL ON?

I'm a bit of a sports media nerd and if memory serves correctly, it was against the Cowboys in 2002 when the Roosters won 58-12.

Could you imagine another sport where the official commercial broadcaster stops calling a game before the conclusion (barring breaking news). Only in Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaay's world........

Latest posts