What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel nein commentators

Packy

Bench
He talks too much and a bit quick. Richie Benaud says that if you can't add anything to the picture then don't say anything. With a radio background Ray is scared of silence and I think he forgets that the viewers can see everything.

Rabbits can call a piece of play that lasts about 5-10 seconds - "Ben Hannant is met by the defence and tackled 20m out......plays the ball...... it goes to Wallace...cut out finds Thaiday but the defence reads it well and he's brought down 10m out on the last".

Ray says - "Brisbane running right to left on your screen as Ben Hannant hits the ball up for the 12th time tonight and makes 11m before being hit hard in a ball and all tackle by two South Sydney defenders in David Taylor over the top and Sam Burgess below and together they bring him down 21m out from the attacking line and 15m in from touch in the south eastern corner of the ground in front of this capacity crowd as Hannant plays the ball to Beale at acting half who finds Wallace at first receiver who throws a pass which cuts out Teo and finds Thaiday steaming on to the ball he almost goes through a half gap and is caught around the bootlaces by John Sutton 11m out from the South Sydney line as referee Shane Hayne calls held on tackle 5 with 14 minutes gone with Brisbane enjoying a wealth of early possession in this round 4 clash here at Suncorp Stadium for nine's friday night football.........".

if only his radio calling was as precise.

I find one of the main issues with hadley is that he calls it late.. like radio.. you well and truely can see before he says anything about it.

bonestorm

Juniors
I dunno if anyone else mentioned this but last night Tim Gilbert asked Hoffman if he was ready for an Origin callup or something. Josh had to remind him that he plays for NZ.

Then tonight I'm pretty sure Mark Gasnier called DCE "Mitch". Pretty quality if true.

Yes this was disgraceful by Gilbert. He's a full time sports journalist isn't he? And had no clue that Hoffman declared himself for NZ last year. Hoffman was clearly embarrassed that he had to reiterate the fact in front of thousands of Qld viewers who were watching.

undertaker

Coach
What's the name of the commentator who calls NZ Warriors games? Just watched highlights of last night's match...."MAAAAAAAANUU!!!!!!!............MAAAAAAAAAAAAAANUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!":lol::lol::lol:Seriously, with all this talk about players doing mid-season transfers, Ch9 should just pay Sky Sports NZ to do a mid-season transfer between that caller and Ray Hadley. That caller craps all over Hadley. Get him in the box alongside Freddy!

Brutus

Referee
That caller was great last night.

Plenty of BOOM and BASS in his voice.

Unlike Hadley's tinny, AM radio, pip-squeak sounding voice on TV.

undertaker

Coach
I'm a bit of a sports media nerd and if memory serves correctly, it was against the Cowboys in 2002 when the Roosters won 58-12.

Could you imagine another sport where the official commercial broadcaster stops calling a game before the conclusion (barring breaking news). Only in Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaay's world........

If one of the callers from the multitude of radio stations that broadcast AFL in Melbourne did what Hadley did that night, Vlad would make sure that person would be taken to the abattoir immediately. On the other hand though, we have a CEO who gladly lets the holders of "the exclusive rights" go along and do whatever they want to without saying a word or batting an eyelid.

If the ARLC want to prove they have the balls, they're going to have to stand up and break the "exclusivity" component in the next rights deal

undertaker

Coach
Unlike Hadley's tinny, AM radio, pip-squeak sounding voice on TV.

:lol::lol:

...and here I thought Vossy had a high pitched treble voice, especially back in the '90s. I even though Sterlo had a relatively low bass voice

I've noticed that as well (referring to the part in bold). Why is that? Does he suck in a helium balloon before he commences the call? Sounds like someone on the switchboard has turned up the treble to 10 and the bass down to 1

That caller was great last night.

Plenty of BOOM and BASS in his voice.

I remember when Jason Costigan was calling Warriors games, he occasionally did the odd game for Fox Sports when either Smith, Braybrook or Raymond - the 3 main callers at the time (Braybrook has since been replaced by Matt Russell) - was unavailable. The most memorable game I remember Costigan calling was the Tigers/Sea Eagles Sunday arvo game at Leichhardt in 2006 (to think that as recently as 2006, we sometimes had 4 Sunday arvo games...ah, those were the days)

Last edited:
I was thinking it was unfair to have the Broncos every Friday night - now I feel sorry for them having to have RAAAAAAAYYYY calling each of thier game. He is such a turnoff.

Brutus

Referee
If anyone can find a snippet of the time one of the NZ commentators described Iafeta Palea'aesina as "having a rocket up his rectum" during a kick return it would be much appreciated.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Yes this was disgraceful by Gilbert. He's a full time sports journalist isn't he? And had no clue that Hoffman declared himself for NZ last year. Hoffman was clearly embarrassed that he had to reiterate the fact in front of thousands of Qld viewers who were watching.

Hoffman has always committed to New Zealand since he debuted, but another thing that annoys me is that a player that comes through the ranks is automatically in Origin selection, like Jason Taumalolo. Whats to say he wants to play for New Zealand, but these media people have stated he'd be good for Origin. Leave him alone and let him make his own decision.

Brutus

Referee
Nice work by Hindy, asking Cronk about his contract negotiations during the man-of-the-match interview on Fox Sports.

Cronky didn't expect that one.

Definitely a future for Hindy in the media.

Latest posts