What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel Nine & Adelaide

Frustrated Fan

Juniors
How is interest in the game supposed to develop in Adelaide when the free to air broadcaster charged with promoting the game are actually hindering its promotion. On Thursday night Channel Nines "The Footyv Show" had the gall to ridicule the Adelaide people for not staying up to 3am in the morning to watch Rugby League….. Why would they?
The Footy Show panelists seem to act as though they are the gods of Rugby League. They took it upon themselves to declare that the game has no hope in Adelaide and there is no point trying.
I am not suggesting an NRL expansion there any time soon but I would like to point out that there is approximately one million people living in Adelaide. What about grass roots development?
Channel Nine has NEVER promoted the game there so why would anyone there be interested in it. Channel Seven promoted the 2003 Rugby Union world cup in Adelaide and the result was a full house at the Adelaide Oval for the Australia/Namibia match.
The comments from The Footy Show panelist tonight surely must amount breach of contract with the NRL. Clearly, the NRL needs to look elsewhere for a broadcasting vehicle if they want to get the most out of their product.

El Diablo

Post Whore
yup

9 are a disgrace. they spend most of their time promoting AFL

AFL shows on all night on 9HD

Beesting head is critical of everything but he has never once said a bad word about 9

they are enemies of the game

MsStorm

Bench
yup

9 are a disgrace. they spend most of their time promoting AFL

AFL shows on all night on 9HD

Beesting head is critical of everything but he has never once said a bad word about 9

they are enemies of the game

Well said El.D.

I think we should start up a petition and send it off to Ch.9. and a copy to the NRL.
People might say it won't do any good, but at least if we could get enough signatures, at least they will know we are really angry with them.

And make it a Sticky.

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
It was complete amateur hour.

How are we supposed to gain support in Adelaide when we have the panellists on the Footy Show not just talking down the game to be played there but also bagging the sh*t out of their city? :crazy:

MsStorm

Bench
It was complete amateur hour.

How are we supposed to gain support in Adelaide when we have the panellists on the Footy Show not just talking down the game to be played there but also bagging the sh*t out of their city? :crazy:

That's the problem we have unfortunately, idiots on that panel and those that run the game , that can't think outside the square.
Very unprofessional.

i couldnt believe it. just hijacking any chance adelaide has of catching on. i love vossy, but that was a big f**kwit moment from him.

KHunt

Juniors
Voss last night was a downright disgrace

No sh*t Adelaide is a pissant city but FMD he doesn't have to carry on about it for three minutes.

Scarves

Juniors
Bemused by Vossy and Matty Johns response, they ended their dithering with "the sharks fans have been dudded". Basically the Sharks need the cash, the local fans aren't turning up in large enough numbers to guarantee survival, The city of Adelaide is willing to pay deluxe, this all sounds like investment to me. The NRL and partners should encourage and pump this type of game up, I know the AFL would, and there lies the difference.

cronker

Juniors
I agree. It was offensive to those of us here in Adelaide who are constantly trying to encourage our friends and families to become interested in the game.

I don't follow either Cronulla or the Cowboys, but I have already bought my tickets and am taking a group of friends for their first encounter with league.

Didgi

I agree. It was offensive to those of us here in Adelaide who are constantly trying to encourage our friends and families to become interested in the game.

I don't follow either Cronulla or the Cowboys, but I have already bought my tickets and am taking a group of friends for their first encounter with league.

But who will you be cheering for? C'mon you bastard, c'mon you bastard...

Pierced Soul

First Grade

i didnt know SA had access to tv or connection to the internet :oops:

:lol:

i was actually shocked by how much crap voss was going on about in regards to adelaide. I think for league to truly grow in australia we need teams in adelaide and perth.

it's incredibly shortsighted to just bash the idea when the rams only had 2 years. think of the swans, they were in sydney for god knows how many years before getting support, used to be you woudlnt see anything about the swans but after years (decades?) they've carved their own niche in sydney (as much as i wish they'd f**k off)

both perth and adelaide could be succesful if given the time and run by competant people, but ti wont happen whilst commentators are death riding it ebcause they want to stick another team on the CC

IanG

Coach
ARe their enough ex-pats there? When I was involved with a lady from Adeliade she kept calling it Rugby but for the sake of harmony between us I kept my mouth shut.

Eastern Panther

Juniors
No one in Adelaide cares, and rugby league won't take off there. There are plenty of problems in the game that need to be dealt with first before wasting millions on putting a team in SA. Thus I have no problem with what Vossy said. Time to move on really.

No one in Adelaide cares, and rugby league won't take off there. There are plenty of problems in the game that need to be dealt with first before wasting millions on putting a team in SA. Thus I have no problem with what Vossy said. Time to move on really.

Actually I know plenty of people in Adelaide who care.

It's this kind of attitude that will see rugby league wither and die

rabbitohs

Juniors
Voss last night was a downright disgrace

No sh*t Adelaide is a pissant city but FMD he doesn't have to carry on about it for three minutes.

A lot of people I have been trying to persuade to come to the game are EXTREMELY pissed off by the comments. Those who didn't watch them last night (the NRL footy show was straight after the AFL footy show) have heard about it and are basically telling league to go f**k itself if that's what they think.

A lot of people here like to watch league (not that they get much chance with Nines stupidly late coverage) and would have gone to the game. What a stupid stupid thing to do!

As for who to support. It has to be the Sharks as they are the ones who will be playing here for the next 3 years!

So instead of taking the expected 20 AFL fans to the game (I have been working on them for months) that number is down to 10 now. Adelaidians are just as proud of their city as Sydneysiders and this pissed them off.
A

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
A lot of people I have been trying to persuade to come to the game are EXTREMELY pissed off by the comments. Those who didn't watch them last night (the NRL footy show was straight after the AFL footy show) have heard about it and are basically telling league to go f**k itself if that's what they think.

A lot of people here like to watch league (not that they get much chance with Nines stupidly late coverage) and would have gone to the game. What a stupid stupid thing to do!

As for who to support. It has to be the Sharks as they are the ones who will be playing here for the next 3 years!

So instead of taking the expected 20 AFL fans to the game (I have been working on them for months) that number is down to 10 now. Adelaidians are just as proud of their city as Sydneysiders and this pissed them off.
A

I hope you'll pass that on to Voss.

El Diablo

Post Whore
News Ltd are just as bad http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25346510-12428,00.html

NRL action comes to Adelaide

April 17, 2009 01:00pm

IF the NRL is looking to sell the game in South Australia then they've chosen a poor advertisement.

Both these sides are travelling terribly at present and whoever loses this will probably sit alone at the bottom of the table.

Cronulla's attack showed some signs of life last week but not even a hat-trick to David Simmons could get them a win over Canberra.

North Queensland have yet to put 80 minutes of football together and star halfback Johnathan Thurston is struggling under Neil Henry's new playing style.

Cowboys enforcer Carl Webb will miss this game after being stood down for arriving 25 minutes late to a recovery session. Key: Johnathan Thurston. He's not in the best form but if he finds touch then the Cowboys should get home.

Sunday's main game kicks off at 1.30pm, with a curtain raiser between SA North and SA South starting at 11.30am. Visit www.venuetix.com.au or call 8225 8888 for tickets.

Nuke

Staff member
As someone in a 'developing' state, I was disappointed with the comments -particularly those of Vossy- of The Footy Show last night. Yes, some of what they said was amusing, but it was disheartening as well. I actually had two ways of looking at it last night while watching the show. The first being -as others here have said- that this is no way to promote the NRL there. But the other way of thought was that at least they're spending 3-5mins of talking about the game being played in Adelaide. Yes, they bagged the crap out of the city and it's League audience, but it may stir up a few more people there to attend to spite Vossy and co.

That being said, I would've been mighty pissed off had they bagged League in WA the way they bagged SA.

Latest posts