What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2021

getsmarty

Immortal
birdjack-team-photo-1gp_3234_2021213105510.jpg

DRAGONS

Disposition strong as Bird seeks position of clarity
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 26 Feb 2021, 05:41 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Share on social media
Even when he played alongside Dragons teammate Adam Clune in the Berkeley under 13 team, Jack Bird was never sure what position he was best suited to.

"As a kid I played fullback, five-eighth, lock, centre, second-row," Bird said. "My mindset was just to go out there and play good footy, and try my best."

That attitude earned Bird a premiership ring with Cronulla in 2016, five NSW State of Origin jerseys and a big-money contract with Brisbane, before returning home to St George Illawarra this season.

Despite all that, no-one is still sure where the 25-year-old should play.

"I have pretty much made myself out that I can play every position on the field, and that’s a good thing but it’s also a bad thing," Bird told NRL.com.

birdj.jpg

Dragons utility Jack Bird.
"I think it is a good thing because I can add value to any team and it is a bad thing because no one knows what the best position is for me to play.

"I don’t even know what my best position is, to be honest."

After injuries limited him to just 17 matches in three years at the Broncos, Bird is just happy to back playing again and he is looking forward to his first Charity Shield against South Sydney in Mudgee on Saturday night.

remote.axd

Hunt surprised by captaincy

Hunt surprised by captaincy

He didn’t play at all last season and made his return with a brief stint at left centre against Parramatta last week after the late decision to switch from the forwards, where Dragons coach Anthony Griffin had him training for most of the pre-season in Wollongong.

Bird revealed during a video shoot for Chemist Warehouse that the move to the centres had been his idea and he was now aiming to form a partnership on St George Illawarra’s left edge with winger Jordan Pereira, second-rower Tariq Sims and five-eighth Corey Norman.

"I think the idea for 'Hook' [Griffin] was to play me as an edge back-rower or in the middle for my knee but I am feeling pretty confident in my knee and I feel more comfortable out in the centres," Bird said.

“If I am going to get back to playing good footy I need to be confident and I think me being in the centres is going to help me."

Berkeley to the big time
Bird grew up in Berkeley, south of Wollongong, and was part of junior Illawarra representative teams from a young age but he has not worn the Red V in a premiership match after being recruited by Cronulla in 2014 from the Under 20s team coached by Dean Young and Ben Hornby.

Other members of the team, which made the finals, were fullback Matt Dufty, centre Euan Aitken, prop Addin Fonua-Blake and Clune.

I don’t even know what my best position is, to be honest

Dragons utility Jack Bird
"Being a local junior I am loving being back at the club and living at home with my family and near all my friends," Bird said. "It feels like I never really left, to be honest.

"Trent Merrin is still here, and I know most of the players. Adam Clune played in my Berkeley under 13s team and I went to school with him at Illawarra Sports High. He is a legend of a bloke and he is a great player.

"Cluney is very smart and he has got his head screwed on. I love playing with him but we haven’t played much together since under 13s so hopefully we get to play a few more games together this year."

clune_rc1_2940.jpg

Dragons playmaker Adam Clune. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
Days as a positional nomad
Of Bird’s 84 NRL games for Cronulla and Brisbane, he has played 53 at centre, 24 at five-eighth, three at fullback, three at halfback and one from the interchange bench.

"I feel comfortable at centre because I think that is what’s the best for the team at the moment but I can play any position and no matter what position I play I am going to try my hardest," he said.

"There are not many people who can play a lot of positions. In saying that I have always wanted to have one position down pat, but I still don’t even know what that is. I am trying to figure that out myself."

For now, Bird’s most likely position appears to be left centre at the Dragons as Dufty is expected to start the season at fullback while Norman, Clune, Ben Hunt and rookie sensation Jayden Sullivan are vying for the playmaking roles.

He usually plays right centre but Zac Lomax has a hold on that spot.

While the modern-day centre has been described as a "second-rower with footwork", Bird insists there is a significant difference between the positions.

"Middle and edge back-rower are completely different to centre so you have got to change your role a little bit and defend differently," he said.

"It is pretty hard to defend in the centres so you need to know what you are doing. I am playing left centre at the moment and I am used to playing on the right but I am happy with that."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/26/disposition-strong-as-bird-seeks-position-of-clarity/

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Time to get serious, Charity Shield is a game of football we want to win. Not just get through without injuries, not just see a few blokes blow out cobwebs but WIN.
No excuses, play this game to win.
We need a good start to the season.
I want a win for two reasons.

1. It’s time.
2. I hate souffs

Heading off soon to Mudgee to meet a few Saints fans.

Looks like we have a spare ticket in the grandstand.

Anyone interested, send me a PM.
Nice one Willow - grandstand.
And looks like it may rain during game.
Lucky you!

We are at Mudgee as well.
Maybe 4 will be at game.
Young grandkids may stay at house.
Weather is not looking promising.
Sitting on hill. Area B.
I’m the old bloke in the vintage V jumper - if anyone else is in Area B.

We didn’t arrive till around 1830 and our house is 30km out of Mudgee. But we were lucky to get that one. Another story.

Cheers to all Dragons (SGI) fans.

I am 100% expecting a loss today.

The rabbits have been running effective systems and shapes for a few years, they will slot into their rhythm pretty easily. In contrast, we have been running ineffective plays for 7 years and now are presumably getting used to new strategies.

I would be happy to see these areas improved:

* The halves manage the game and communicate their plays.
* In defence we need to stop and flip over much more effectively than we have been.

If those happen I will be satisfied that improvement is happening.

blacksafake

First Grade
I am 100% expecting a loss today.

The rabbits have been running effective systems and shapes for a few years, they will slot into their rhythm pretty easily. In contrast, we have been running ineffective plays for 7 years and now are presumably getting used to new strategies.

I would be happy to see these areas improved:

* The halves manage the game and communicate their plays.
* In defence we need to stop and flip over much more effectively than we have been.

If those happen I will be satisfied that improvement is happening.
Agree :thumbsup:

goldiesaintz

Juniors
I think we are in for a tough game and we must be seen as the underdogs.
If McGregor was still coaching, he wouldn't give two hoots about winning and the team would naturally lose without thinking twice.

Hopefully, Hook & Co will instill a must win attitude, so as long as we put in a genuine effort for 80 minutes, l'd be happy. If we win and have no injuries, that's a bonus.

C'om you Saints! V

TruSaint

Referee
Time to get serious, Charity Shield is a game of football we want to win. Not just get through without injuries, not just see a few blokes blow out cobwebs but WIN.

Thats the spirit...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Nice one Willow - grandstand.
And looks like it may rain during game.
Lucky you!

We are at Mudgee as well.
Maybe 4 will be at game.
Young grandkids may stay at house.
Weather is not looking promising.
Sitting on hill. Area B.
I’m the old bloke in the vintage V jumper - if anyone else is in Area B.

We didn’t arrive till around 1830 and our house is 30km out of Mudgee. But we were lucky to get that one. Another story.

Cheers to all Dragons (SGI) fans.
Yes, with the grandstand you have to be quick. It sells out fast. We booked it all including accomodation last November.

The pub near the bridge has good atmosphere. But the whole place gets packed out for this weekend.

Weather seems pretty clear at the moment, had a lot of rain this morning.

Long drive from Qld so sitting down and enjoying a refresher before everyone else rolls in from Sydney, those lucky bastards live just down the road.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Watching the replays of Charity Shield on Fox they were full on TV games nowhere to hide. The game where Souths were reinstated 2002 was exceptional we had the stars they had the will. They were booted out in 1999 but we're the last winners so retained it after the 2002 match was drawn 20-20.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I disagree somewhat but I definitely hope we win without a doubt. It really all depends on if hook has them primed to go this week or if this week is the last of a heavy training load so they can use this game to build peak match fitness and they taper off to get fresh for round 1. If he has some plan up his sleeve I am cool with that but don't get me wrong I'm very keen to see us get our first win under the Hook regime. Souths are stacked though and Bennett is a wily old dog.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I am curious to see how many 6 again calls they get against them after the Eels trial. Hopefully they learnt something in regards to the new rules from the 2 trials and put them in a good position to be better disciplined than most sides when the big games count as the new rules will make quite an impact.

No matter about the result, If they play good footy with plenty of discipline then it will be win for the red V going into round 1.

Gareth67

First Grade
I am sure that Griffin is not expecting the team to do anything spectacular tomorrow , but - as others have said - to show plenty of spirit against a strong and very experienced Rabbitohs outfit .

No injuries , but most importantly to have the team gel as a cohesive unit . Shall be most interested in how their fitness is compared to last season . Last thing I want to see are the boys looking lost and leaderless , but to show plenty of fight and the will to win - that will be worth a cold beer in itself .

Latest posts