What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheering in defence

On a world scale I was right there I suppose.
Something just occurred to me. There used to be a car yard on the corner of Pennant Hills Road and Church St called "The Colonels". There was a WW2 Willies Jeep there (not for sale) with a white star on the bonnet. I wonder if our Colonel had anything to do with that or if his name was inspired by it? hmmnnmmmm?

Avenger

Immortal
Something just occurred to me. There used to be a car yard on the corner of Pennant Hills Road and Church St called "The Colonels". There was a WW2 Willies Jeep there (not for sale) with a white star on the bonnet. I wonder if our Colonel had anything to do with that or if his name was inspired by it? hmmnnmmmm?
I think he owned the first KFC franchise in Parramatta ended up getting high cholesterol, sold it and moved to the country.

Now he looks like The Rock.

Parra

Referee

Before Dennys and/or The Keg?

T-Boon

Coach
How can we take a leaf from NFL fans playbook. NFL crowds make the most noise when their team is defending. D-Fence signs and all. How can we get the crowd to be deafening when our side is defending. It will lift the team and drowns out the play calling for the opposition.

Aussie fans are almost silent when the side is defending. Rising to cheer a big hit or a try saver after the event.

Yeah, maybe the cheer girls could use those GET LOUD signs that you see in the US.

Maybe they could suggest some noise that we can make. Probably the most regular noise at a rugby league game is the predictable get em on side "boooo". Maybe as eels fans we could do some sort of "hiss" when in defence. Do eels hiss or is that just snakes.

TheParraboy

Staff member
We were pretty quiet just before the tigers scored their only try

should have kept them to nil if the crowd got their shit in order, could have cost us........

Yeah, maybe the cheer girls could use those GET LOUD signs that you see in the US.

Maybe they could suggest some noise that we can make. Probably the most regular noise at a rugby league game is the predictable get em on side "boooo". Maybe as eels fans we could do some sort of "hiss" when in defence. Do eels hiss or is that just snakes.
Maybe you like tv shows with fake laughter? I prefer spontaneity that reflects the true mood of the crowd. If that means little noise or silence in patches then I'm fine with that. Give me a true atmosphere over a manufactured one any day thanks.

T-Boon

Coach
Maybe you like tv shows with fake laughter? I prefer spontaneity that reflects the true mood of the crowd. If that means little noise or silence in patches then I'm fine with that. Give me a true atmosphere over a manufactured one any day thanks.

I totally get this point of view.
But the OP raised a good point about trying to shift the tendency to make noise when on offence to when in defence because that could disrupt the oppositions communication. I doubt the question has been raised before about how you could change the crowds tendencies in this regard (if indeed his point is correct which I think it well could be but I don't know for sure).

Noise

Coach
I totally get this point of view.
But the OP raised a good point about trying to shift the tendency to make noise when on offence to when in defence because that could disrupt the oppositions communication.
Does this mean we should be quiet when Parra is on offence so as not to disrupt our own teams communication?

Parra

Referee
Does this mean we should be quiet when Parra is on offence so as not to disrupt our own teams communication?

You cheer in offence the same as now - which is not constant, but reaches a crescendo when a break is made or a try is scored. Change nothing in this regard.

Shout the other side off the park when they have the ball.

Home ground advantage.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Did you do a prediction? You fence sitting sheepish merkin?

Edit: you did but every tough choice was made with predictable fence sitting with deliberate smartarse diversion.

Will Arthur be retained: who knows ? BHAHAHAHAHA.

That’s why you are a sheep. You actually care if you are ever proven wrong on a pissy footy forum. Make a decision you knob jockey!!

#safebet
#noballs
#noleader
So leadership is saying a bunch of horseshit and then flip flip mcflip flip flip flopping your way to the complete opposite position a week later?

I’m not sure you understand leadership at all.

T-Boon

Coach

No. But like the OP said, when in attack the noise is only really loud when on a line break or whatever. They ad-lib at that point.

Avenger

Immortal
So leadership is saying a bunch of horseshit and then flip flip mcflip flip flip flopping your way to the complete opposite position a week later?

I’m not sure you understand leadership at all.
You don’t make decisions. You can’t lead. I would have made a decision to sack Arthur last year. Who knows it may of worked after the 0 and 6 start.

You didn’t make any decision, never committed either way from fear of making a wrong call on a pissy forum. And who is to say I made the wrong call. A new coach may have exactly did what Arthur and the team have done this year. Could have been cheaper with no review required. One thing is for sure a whole season was wasted last year.

You see Gary. Leaders make decisions, sheep follow. Don’t worry we still need people like you too.

Baaaa.

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
You don’t make decisions. You can’t lead. I would have made a decision to sack Arthur last year. Who knows it may of worked after the 0 and 6 start.

You didn’t make any decision, never committed either way from fear of making a wrong call on a pissy forum. And who is to say I made the wrong call. A new coach may have exactly did what Arthur and the team have done this year. Could have been cheaper with no review required. One thing is for sure a whole season was wasted last year.

You see Gary. Leaders make decisions, sheep follow. Don’t worry we still need people like you too.

Baaaa.
Let’s ignore the fact that I made my position on BA clear in countless posts.

I’m more concerned about your ability to understand what a decision is.

Sounding off like a gibberering f**ktard on an issue that you have no control or influence over does not constitute a decision.

In your case, that’s probably a good thing as you invariably change your mind a week later. If you were actually forced to make a decision and stick to it you’d be f**ked.

Latest posts