What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chief urges patience in Simmo's injury battle

Serc

First Grade
Chief urges patience in Simmo's injury battle
BY BRETT KEEBLE
28 Jul, 2010 04:00 AM

INSPIRATIONAL former Knights captain Paul Harragon would prefer to see one-time teammate Steve Simpson sit out the rest of this season so he could play on next year, rather than rush back and do further damage to his chronic knee injury.
Harragon's own decorated career was cut short 11 years ago due to a similarly degenerative knee condition. The premiership-winning skipper and prop was 30 - the same age Simpson is now - when he retired in 1999 after 169 first-grade games for Newcastle, 20 Origin matches for NSW and 17 Tests for Australia.
Simpson, who had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee seven weeks ago and has not played since May 21, hopes to return for the game against the Bulldogs at EnergyAustralia Stadium on August 8 but is still unable to run a significant distance without pain.
"I'll see how we go over the next couple of weeks . . . it's a slow process at the moment," Simpson said yesterday.
"It is feeling slightly better, but there is still a way to go. It's a bit of a waiting game - I'm a bit frustrated - but there's not really much more I can do."
Asked if could envisage a comeback date, Simpson said: "To be honest, I'm not 100 per cent sure. I might try to run again some time this week and see how it goes and take it from there."
Simpson is a free agent at the end of this season and how well he recovers will determine whether he wants to keep playing, or if the Knights choose to offer him a contract extension.
Harragon empathises with his fellow former NSW and Australian representative. He was forced to retire before he wanted to because the wear and tear in his arthritic left knee became too much to bear.
Provided Simpson wants to play on next season and the Knights want to re-sign him, Harragon said his long-term worth was more valuable than any immediate benefit.
"Simmo doesn't need to be hasty about this because he's just too great an asset; he's too important to the club," Harragon said.
"Someone of his experience and his stature in the game, they're a very rare commodity in rugby league these days.
"If he doesn't get back and play one of these last six games this year, it's probably better for him and the club in the long run for him to give it a full off-season to get it right then come back again next year with his knee as strong and healthy as he can get it.
"That potential is far greater than rushing back for a game this year if it's not quite right."
Harragon's last game, a 20-15 victory over the Panthers at Penrith on May 16, 1999, was Simpson's third in the NRL and the only time they played together for the Knights.
Simpson has maintained his general fitness by working overtime in the gym and with strength and conditioning coach Mick Reid.
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...patience-in-simmos-injury-battle/1896901.aspx

roopy

Referee
If we want him for next year we should let him spend 4 or 5 months doing everything he can to rest his knee.
We don't need him now. In fact, letting guys like Tetevano and Mika get some game time in first grade is more important than wearing out the old guy a year early.

roopy

Referee
If we make the finals next year the forward i'd most like to see on the field is Simmo.
If we can get him for the right money he is a guy we could use in the big games.
If he wants big money, we don't need him that much.

perverse

Referee
at $55k he can hang around i suppose.. but honestly it's hard watching him do this to himself. more often than not this year he has been a liability on the field with his drop ball. he's just so over the hill it's crazy.

timka4

Bench
It's a shame that he has this injury, but like Roopy said. If he is going to play next year, rest him till next season

Simmo has lost his mongrel cos of his knee. Completely understandable. However it is also time to say goodbye. Chief lives in blind loyalty land where the naive and idealistic get smashed on a daily basis by real life.

Chook Herron

Juniors
Simmo has a enough in his real estate portfolio to set himself up for life after footy. He should be thinking of his longterm health and whether it's worth risking more so.

Matt23

Staff member
Simmo has a enough in his real estate portfolio to set himself up for life after footy. He should be thinking of his longterm health and whether it's worth risking more so.
True that...owns quite a bit of property up Maitland way.

troll

Juniors
With the amount of injury time MacDougall gets, Simmo should be a shoe in to sit out the rest of the season and get a start next year!

macavity

Referee
FMD, 30 posts in 4 years and that is what you come up with?

On topic, this is Chief setting up the club as the bad guys if/when Simmo retires (or, in Herald speak, is "forced out").

Certain prominent Novocastrians are waging geurilla warfare on the admin - this is part of it, and certain Herald journos are in on it too.

Latest posts