What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Gayle labelled a 'creep' with a track record of disrespected female journalists

drago brelli

Bench
I'm not surprised.

I was appalled by the AUstralian media's handling of this and another event. I have seen some very poor form by the Australian media of late, and if Gayle sues, this may well be a wake up call to Australian media to be less "populist and emotive" and a bit more appreciative to the legal rights of any accused sportsman or celebrity. Calling for (another incident) or endorsing someone to lose their job before conviction is not in line with innocent until proven guilty. Further, endorsing someone to lose their job when there is not even a charge laid, and the accuser remains unidentified, and then using irrelevant facts of having a mirror and a stripper pole to justify that sacking position is not in line with logic as applied by the law in determining guilt or innocence. He had that stripper pole and mirror on the ceiling before he was playing the BBL this year to boot!

He has a bit more money than a domestic NRL or AFL footballer, so he can more afford a legal stoush. Even then, his pockets are not deep compared to giant like Fairfax.

If he is banned from the BBL next year, and he can demonstrate (quite easily in my view) that is caused by in the 'indecent exposure' allegation being published then he has a good base for his case to be made out in damages. If he loses any other T20 contracts as a result, the quantum grows.

Questions remain to Fairfax's available defences to publishing the possibly defamatory allegations of indecent exposure by the unidentified person who did not lay charges after the facts are established.

I would be surprised if this makes it to court. I think Gayle is merely sending a very strong warning to the press.

ANTiLAG, your grasp of the complex legal issues in this case indicate that you possess a highly trained and seriously sharp legal mind. Surely this isn't Dyson Heydon here is it?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
ANTiLAG, your grasp of the complex legal issues in this case indicate that you possess a highly trained and seriously sharp legal mind. Surely this isn't Dyson Heydon here is it?

That post was a continuation from post 230.

And while I don't always agree with Heydon J's opinion or his style, I'll take that as a flattering compliment.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Security at the mcg is insanely over the top. They kick people out for the smallest things. A non offensive sign should be fine

Lego_Man

First Grade
To hell with free speech at the MCG.

This is what it's all about:

2qbeSYt.jpg

If you understand that, i have a semen soaked Jatz cracker from the Windies dressing room as your reward.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Saw some idiot on facebook say something like
'You may support him, but how would you like it if he said that to your mother or sisters? '
If a successful, rich, good looking athlete told one of my sisters she has beautiful eyes and politely asked her out for a drink i don't think I'd be to angry, in fact his a gentlemen compared to the likes my sisters date

Pommy

Coach
Saw some idiot on facebook say something like
'You may support him, but how would you like it if he said that to your mother or sisters? '
If a successful, rich, good looking athlete told one of my sisters she has beautiful eyes and politely asked her out for a drink i don't think I'd be to angry, in fact his a gentlemen compared to the likes my sisters date

It's a good job your mates sister doesn't work in a pub or club imagine the horror. I don't know how bar workers cope with such shit.

DiegoNT

First Grade
It's a good job your mates sister doesn't work in a pub or club imagine the horror. I don't know how bar workers cope with such shit.

It definitely isn't one of my mates that said that, everyone I know both male and female don't know what all the fuss is about. This was a comment on a news post on fb

Ian Chappell says Cricket Australia should pursue worldwide ban on Chris Gayle over TV comments

Emma Kem
January 08, 2016 4:56PM

AUSTRALIAN cricket great Ian Chappell has called on Cricket Australia to propose a worldwide contracting ban on Chris Gayle following his controversial sideline interview with Network Ten reporter Mel McLaughlin.

Gayle was fined $10,000 by his BBL side Melbourne Renegades for his on-air mid-match comments to McLaughlin on Monday night. The big-hitting West Indian batsman’s hopes of returning next season could also be all but over, given Cricket Australia (CA) has the power to essentially veto any BBL player contract.

Some CA officials wanted Gayle to be suspended over the interview, during which he told McLaughlin she had beautiful eyes and asked her out for a drink before saying “don’t blush, baby”.

Ex-Australian skipper Chappell said CA needed to send a zero-tolerance message on what he deemed “totally inappropriate” behaviour in a sport trying to gain traction with women.

“I wouldn’t have a problem if Cricket Australia said to the clubs, `he’s never to be contracted again in this country’,” Chappell told AAP in Sydney, where he participated in an Optus SMB Cricket Legends event alongside Tom Moody.

“And I also wouldn’t have a problem if Cricket Australia said to the ICC, `what we’re doing should be worldwide’.
“You’d have to talk to the individual countries then ... but I wouldn’t have a problem if it was tabled at an ICC meeting that Cricket Australia said, `this is what we’re doing and we would recommend that everybody else do the same’.

“How are you going to stop it otherwise?”

Gayle later apologised for any offence, saying it was a “simple joke”.

But Chappell thought he was “past help probably now”, and said the focus should be on sending a message to up-and-coming male cricketers.

“If it was a one-off thing, yeah, slap him with a $10,000 fine and say `mate, don’t do it again’,” he said.
“But every woman I spoke to (about Gayle) who’s working at the cricket, you got the same answer from.

“They were quite adamant about it.” Gayle is expected to open for the Renegades on Saturday, when they host Melbourne Stars at Etihad Stadium.

http://foxsports.com.au/cricket/ian...over-tv-comments/story-e6frf3g3-1227702028209