What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Gayle labelled a 'creep' with a track record of disrespected female journalists

ANTiLAG

First Grade
what should she have said hilariously ?

I dont think she should have: but she could have said something along the lines of:

"My eyes Chris? Well Chris, thanks for the compliment, but there is a problem with my eyes that you should probably know about, I just cannot see you getting that drink with me. Ha. Oh deary me, so how is...

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/social-justice-warriors-angry-with-chris-gayle-for-flirting-with-a-reporter-should-remember-maria-a6796336.html

Social justice warriors angry with Chris Gayle for flirting with a reporter should remember Maria Sharapova did it first

Poor Chris Gayle has become the latest sacrificial lamb for social justice warriors.

The cricketer, described as “the greatest West Indian player of his generation”, was being interviewed by an attractive female presenter – wait, can I say that? - when he decided to take a chance on love. In an impulsive moment he asked her for a drink, and, as it became obvious she wasn’t interested in said drink, he quickly added, “Don’t blush, baby.”

Had you read about this moment in the news, you would have expected to see something far juicier from the footage. Across the Twittersphere, a load of humourless people condoned Gayle as “pathetic” and “disrespectful”. Someone even called his failed romantic attempt sexual harassment.

Having watched the video, I felt pretty let down with the hype; it was like Star Wars all over again. The clip is – after all - 16 seconds of nothing. In fact, it almost makes me feel sorry for Gayle. Clearly bowled over by the interviewer’s beauty, he splutters the invitation out like a nervous schoolboy. And as she frowns at him, and he responds “Don’t blush, baby”, you sense that it’s actually him who’s shrivelling up inside.

It makes me want to give him a big hug, and gently say: “Don’t worry, Chris, there’s plenty more fish in the sea!”

Anyway, my condolences hardly matter because Gayle has thrown a huge metaphorical cricket ball at the moralist mob. Let’s face it, they were probably bored over Christmas, with nothing but Downton Abbey and the Strictly Come Dancing final to whinge about. Now they have fresh meat to chew over in the shape of a not-all-that-clever sports star: the new poster boy for sexism.

But, come on, we all know that asking someone on a date is not a crime – otherwise there’d be no such thing as procreation. Equally, calling someone “baby” is not sexual harassment. Bloody hell, has anyone ever been to Leeds? You can’t get on a bus without someone calling you “love”, and they all seem pretty happy.

Describing Gayle as sexist is even more ridiculous given the ease with which female sport stars flirt. In January 2014, Maria Sharapova took a shine to an Australian presenter, saying to him on television: “You have so much good self-esteem when you speak, it’s really nice”, before adding, “I was just admiring your form”.

Even though “You have so much good self esteem” makes her sound like Borat, you don’t hear her being ticked off for sexual harassment – which, I’d like to add, is a very serious offence.

Gayle has been hounded by commentators, who have accused him of using his social entitlement as a male to prey on presenters – but women get away with complimenting men all the time. If anyone’s milking their social entitlement in the flirtation stakes this time around, it’s women.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
naked with a towel around his ankles ?

A towel 'round the ankles' would make it difficult and impair the ability to stroll from a hallway into a room.

I mean even if you soccer dribble it style which is not really a stroll, and it will untie quickly.

No I'm calling he cannot stroll with a towel round the ankles. The towel feters any strolling walking motion. The ability for strolling leg extension and free movement including turning becomes too limited

He could however shuffle with a towel around his ankles.

Last edited:

langpark

First Grade
The reaction to this has honestly just been sickening and it's things like this that make me ashamed to be an Aussie. Get a life people, he was having a bit of banter, she wasn't it the mood for it, that's it. Get on with your lives. Had she just giggled it off, would it suddenly have been deemed ok?

Tommy Smith

Referee
The only thing obscene about this incident has been the media and social media's overreaction.

Was it mildly inappropriate? Maybe. But that's about the extent of it.

Anyone would think he murdered someone. What an absolute f**king joke and a reflection of the PC and morally righteous age we now live in.

I've even heard that he won't be invited back to the BBL next year. Give me a f**king break.

Patorick

Staff member
The only thing obscene about this incident has been the media and social media's overreaction.

Was it mildly inappropriate? Maybe. But that's about the extent of it.

Anyone would think he murdered someone. What an absolute f**king joke and a reflection of the PC and morally righteous age we now live in.

I've even heard that he won't be invited back to the BBL next year. Give me a f**king break.

"I sit here and think there's actually no place in the Big Bash for Chris Gayle. Not in the way that it has been set up, and what it's trying to achieve."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-05/transcript-chris-gayle-neroli-meadows-melinda-farrell/7068652

609286-7c3d489c-a74d-11e3-900e-99186aa12c4d.jpg

ANTiLAG

First Grade
"I sit here and think there's actually no place in the Big Bash for Chris Gayle. Not in the way that it has been set up, and what it's trying to achieve."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-05/transcript-chris-gayle-neroli-meadows-melinda-farrell/7068652

609286-7c3d489c-a74d-11e3-900e-99186aa12c4d.jpg

Whateley: It's an interesting situation. Cricket Australia and the Renegades were quick to come out and condemn the behaviour, they did that in their statements last night.

In all that they're trying to do with the Big Bash, and so many gains have been made with women's cricket - James Sutherland was reflecting on that yesterday, and the challenge of perhaps changing men's attitudes towards women's cricket and the gains that have been made on that front, I wonder what the appropriate recourse here is.

I sit here and think there's actually no place in the Big Bash for Chris Gayle. Not in the way that it has been set up, and what it's trying to achieve.

This is mildly amusing.

You don't think a past or present female cricketer covering the woman's BBL that would like Mel's job? The higher ratings probably means higher pay. Maybe its because they're less attractive that the network will not hire them. That makes Mel the beneficiary of sexism, not the victim, and her better job with better pay makes her privileged.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/chris-gayle-mel-mclaughlin-and-why-we-fight-20160105-glzllc.html

"What's more sexist?" he asked. "Chris Gayle hitting on an attractive TV reporter (like an idiot) or the TV network only hiring attractive women for sports reporting when the men can look like a foot and still be on TV?"
"They're two sides of the same coin," I replied. I thought that was obvious, but maybe no.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
This has to be the biggest over reaction ever.

The guy is clearly a dickhead and made himself look like one in front of the nation. Talk of banning him from BBL next season is way over the top.
People love to get outraged these days, it doesn't matter what but they love outrage.

TheParraboy

Staff member
A towel 'round the ankles' would make it difficult and impair the ability to stroll from a hallway into a room.

I mean even if you soccer dribble it style which is not really a stroll, and it will untie quickly.

No I'm calling he cannot stroll with a towel round the ankles. The towel feters any strolling walking motion. The ability for strolling leg extension and free movement including turning becomes too limited

He could however shuffle with a towel around his ankles.

so do a cover up like the last time

thought so..

franklin2323

Immortal
The reaction to this has honestly just been sickening and it's things like this that make me ashamed to be an Aussie. Get a life people, he was having a bit of banter, she wasn't it the mood for it, that's it. Get on with your lives. Had she just giggled it off, would it suddenly have been deemed ok?

According to some people yes.

Lego_Man

First Grade
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11570472

Shaun Johnson does basically the exact same thing today but it's cute and funny. Amazing.

Warriors star Shaun Johnson tries it on with Caroline Wozniacki

Warriors halfback Shaun Johnson seemed to make quite an impression on Caroline Wozniacki yesterday, after bluffing his way into her press conference as a television journalist.

Johnson was a surprise presence as Wozniacki faced the media, after her impressive 6-0 6-2 second round win over Christina McHale.

Press conferences can sometimes be serious affairs but the presence of Johnson added some levity to the occasion.

The Warriors halfback appeared just before the conference started, and promptly placed himself in one of the closest seats, just metres from Wozniacki and the microphones.

"First row?" inquired Wozniacki.

"Of course, of course," said Johnson. "I've got some serious questions."

"Well, expect some serious answers" was the quick fire response from the former World No 1.

After she answered some questions about her match, her form and her hopes for the year, Johnson seized his chance - with the swiftness that has characterised his league career.

"Are you guys done? Sorry Caroline got some questions. Shaun Johnson, Vodafone Warriors TV..."

He began with a gentle inquiry - athlete to athlete - about her choice of pre-match meal, which she explained was "just about anything, chicken, pasta, fish.

After that half volley, Johnson went for the ace.

"One more I have to ask - on behalf of all male Kiwis in this country and I hope your Dad doesn't come after me after this one," said Johnson. "Can you follow me on Instagram?"

Wozniacki said yes, but then playfully accused Johnson of being more interested in another ASB Classic drawcard, Serbian star Ana Ivanovic, whom he met at the player's party.

"Are you following me?" asked Wozniacki.

"Are you serious?, said Johnson, incredulously.

"Well, as far as I know you came to the player's party to see Ana Ivanovic - that's a fact."
Johnson strenuously denied that - and after some more verbal rallies - the press conference was called to a close.

The exchange showed the fun side of Wozniacki and perhaps demonstrated why Auckland has such appeal for the top players. Since she has been here the Danish player has played a exhibition match on the main street in Broadway and taken part in a television commercial for ASB with the All Blacks.

Wozniacki is a professional tennis player and is here to do a job but is also relaxed, happy and having fun.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yes because the optics of two humans flirting is less bad than one human flirting while the other looks like they would rather be at the dentists. Do you people suffer from some kind of disease where you don't understand human emotion.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Yes because the optics of two humans flirting is less bad than one human flirting while the other looks like they would rather be at the dentists. Do you people suffer from some kind of disease where you don't understand human emotion.

Gayle's flirt was less than 15 seconds - not enough time to take really stock of the situation and pull out gracefully. He got fined 10K for it.

The Johnson incident proves that it's really not about workplace professionalism or anything like that. It's about whether the woman wants to reciprocate the sexual advance.

Johnson and Gayle have done the same thing. Tried it on with an attractive woman. Gayle wasn't desirable to the recipient, so he gets trashed through the media. Gross hypocrisy really - men need a fair go in the mating game too. Gayle has suffered enough with embarrassment.