What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Gayle labelled a 'creep' with a track record of disrespected female journalists

Lego_Man

First Grade
At the end of the day Gayle is big, black and sexually threatening to other males, and in some ways intimidating to women too. Atrributes that work for him most of the time, but in the cold light of day inspire revulsion in many, even subconsciously, which contributes to the outcry.

Johnson is small and "cute" so gets away with it.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Frank Sinatra got run out of Australia for calling women in the press whores so this isn't a new thing.

Legoman do you have autism or something. Two reciprocate parties flirting will be a lot more acceptable than one trying it on with a person obviously not interested. It's human nature to live vicariously through what we see on TV. It's the very fact that cringe comedy plays on to get the result. Any man bombing out on TV will be extremely uncomfortable.

He got a fair go. I doubt he was genuine anyway. I think he is was doing it as a joke and the joke bombed.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/04/21/1019233294418.html
It was hardly the right moment for Sinatra to get up on stage at Melbourne's Festival Hall and describe Australia's female journalists as "buck-and-a-half hookers".
A furious Australian press howled for blood. Sinatra refused to apologise and sparked an extraordinary chain of events that resulted in the cancellation of Sinatra's second Melbourne concert, a black ban of his private jet by airport refuellers and a three-day siege at Sydney's Boulevard Hotel.

------

Why can't people just tell jokes.... Like the old days. Oh wait society could get pretty offended back then.

The idea that in the good ole days there wouldn't have been more outrage over a black dude making a white woman uncomfortable is ludicrous.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
At the end of the day Gayle is big, black and sexually threatening to other males, and in some ways intimidating to women too. Atrributes that work for him most of the time, but in the cold light of day inspire revulsion in many, even subconsciously, which contributes to the outcry.

Johnson is small and "cute" so gets away with it.

All women are turned on by negroes... Nomatter what they say, all women want to have sex with negroes.

Joe from "Nymphomaniac".

Strangely not available on Youtube as a direct quote.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Gee the media are milking this a bit.

Your sports media needs a bloody good crash course in some of your legal fundamentals.

I've heard some absolute shockers this year.

First: Innocent till proven guilty.

Does not matter what the charges are for. That is irrelevant.

Its innocent till proven guilty. Because if sports teams take a knee jerk reaction on charges, and punish a player by terminating his contract, or he/she is banned from the sport, when he/she is still innocent in the eyes of the law, and he/she is later found 'not guilty' - you have further wrecked and made more difficult the life on an innocent.

This is inexcusable. Time off with pay is one thing while they deal with the off field drama. But not suspension that they do not want and termination of contract. There maybe a grey area where facts are admitted that bring game or club into disrepute that may warrrant grounds of unwanted suspension or termination (pretty tough on a player going through an ordeal) but not entirely based on allegations that a player wholly denies. That is outside the player's control.

Now I have heard this year, Australian reporters calling for suspension until resolved (not Gayle) based on the serious charge of the offence, the facts of which the player denied. I was appalled. And here it raises its head again, although Craddock says he has no sympathy and is not calling for the ban, but this time its an alleged incident from an unidentified woman with NO charges being laid.

“There’s a feeling that he will be banned. He will not return next year,” Craddock said. “Cricket Australia will not sanction it and they will take a very strong stance on it, for two reasons: One, because they don’t like his behaviour. And two, because there’s also a feeling that the competition is outgrowing some of its international stars. That it can stand on its own two feet.

“Some may consider that extreme punishment for one singular offence. But the story is growing, even today there was a story on the front page alleging that Chris Gayle exposed himself to a woman during last year’s World Cup. Not good enough. Terrible behaviour.”

“Now, I stress these charges aren’t proven but Chris’ behaviour has been sleazy. He’s got a stripper’s room in his house. He’s got a mirror on the ceiling. He flaunts it. And if you flaunt it you’ve got to be judged by it when things go wrong. I just can’t have any sympathy for him, I’m sorry.

Second:

Now in my opinion, the above contains further irresponsible journalism.

1 - as I understand it there are no charges laid. What there is is an unidentified woman who has told someone on the press this story. No police are involved. Gayle has not only denied this (not reported by Craddock) he is threatening legal suit should it be published further.

2 - the activities of someone's lifestyle are often completely irrelevant outside a propensity for an the alleged conduct or misconduct and even then it can be too prejudicial to have even probative value. That is why there are rape shield laws in many jurisdictions, how many men a woman has had sex with is irrelevant to whether on a particular situation she gave consent. Its prejudicial.

In my opinion, the fact that Gayle has a stripper pole and mirror on the ceiling has nothing to do with whether he exposed himself to a person in a team dressing room. All it does it serve to prejudice, now the media should inform the public of logic and the law, not reemphasize lay persons error of thought in 'judging' people with no sympathy. It would be more relevant if it was being suggested that Chris dances on the stripper pole. Ha.

“Let’s not underestimate the market we’re pitching to here,” Craddock said. “It’s the same market as the Wiggles. Kids between 5-7-9 years old. A lot of those kids would have woken up this morning saying: ‘Dad, what’s this mean about Chris Gayle exposing himself to a woman?’

Well maybe the media should know better than to publish "unidentified woman" allegations that have not even resulted in a police complaint.

The media knows that mud sticks. This is, I believe, irresponsible journalism. Wait until the charges, if any, are laid. Then there is a sufficient allegation of a crime in the public interest to report. Gayle does not need mere unidentified sources of rumour destroying his livelihood and personal life.

The problem here is the media love stories to sell papers and get people watching the news. So the stories are built up, published and made big before necessary facts are established. Its irresponsible journalism in my view. For this story from an "unidenitfied person" and with no charges to be laid, is just mind boggling to me. Because in the eyes of thaw law, unless bloody good reason why, the accused should have the right to face their accuser.

Last edited:

Patorick

Staff member
Channel Ten shows every single mens BBL game on the main network.

They are showing 10 of the 59 games in the womens BBL, mostly one ONE HD.

"Network Ten is a big supporter of women's sport," (Ten network's sport executive David) Barham said. "We are putting the same resources into the WBBL broadcasts as we are for the men's games and it is certainly proving to be a hit. We are thrilled with the WBBL ratings to date and are excited to be working with Cricket Australia on this initiative. It is a very exciting time for women's cricket and women's sport as a whole."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/958647.html

Yeah.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
BBL against BBC (and i'm not talking about the British TV station).

[youtube]5j4Y5Js-mcA[/youtube]

Oh and well played Shaun Johnson.

I suspect NZ sports personalities are taking the piss out of Australia's Gayle negative reaction.

The next day we had that Laura and Martin Guptil interview where they acted like total strangers, that was absolute gold.

And now this.

Last edited:

no name

Coach
What an absolute circus this has turned into.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/39eec22b48002d87aaa55d4d29c5c4ac

Up Next
Chris Gayle's ridiculous interview

WEST INDIES star Chris Gayle will take legal action against Fairfax Media over reports he indecently exposed himself to a woman last year.

Gayle has retained the services of high-profile lawyer Mark O’Brien.

“Cricketer Chris Gayle has strongly denied the allegations first published by Fairfax Media that he indecently exposed himself to a woman during last year’s World Cup in Sydney,” Gayle’s management told Fox Sports in a statement.

“Despite such denials, Fairfax Media continues to publish the false and defamatory allegations which have received widespread republication in media throughout the world.

“As a result, Chris Gayle has retained Mark O’Brien, a leading Australian media lawyer, to immediately commence defamation proceedings against Fairfax Media.”

BIG BASH BOSS: WHY WE CAN KICK GAYLE OUT

Other Stories

Brisbane man’s body found after pub fire
Brisbane man’s body found after pub fire
‘We don’t use guns, we use fists’
‘We don’t use guns, we use fists’
‘I couldn’t keep what happened secret’
‘I couldn’t keep what happened secret’

REPORTS: GAYLE SET TO BE BANNED FROM BBL

Melbourne Renegades’ star recruit Chris Gayle. Picture: Ellen Smith.
The Fairfax reports, relating to an alleged incident that took place during the 2015 Cricket World Cup in Australia, came on the same day it was claimed Cricket Australia is seriously looking at the option of banning Gayle from returning to play in the Big Bash League next year.

The head of the Big Bash, Anthony Everard, confirmed to Fox Sports that this is a legitimate option.

The moves come as the furore over Gayle’s comments to Channel 10 reporter Mel McLaughlin continues to snowball.

The superstar batsman was fined $10,000 by his franchise, Melbourne Renegades, after his awkward interview with McLaughlin created global headlines following the Renegades’ win over Hobart Hurricanes on Monday night.

Up Next
Robert Craddock: Chris Gayle won't be invited back

Originally published as Gayle to ‘commence defamation proceedings’

some11

Referee
Put aside all the 'divide and conquer' gender bullshit and what it boils down to is this: time and a place.

Gayle's not use to this kind of backlash so you certainly wont see it again from him.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Channel Ten shows every single mens BBL game on the main network.

They are showing 10 of the 59 games in the womens BBL, mostly one ONE HD.

Yeah.

Its a step in the right direction, last year they didn't show any

I quiet like watching women's cricket.

ANTiLAG

First Grade

I'm not surprised.

I was appalled by the AUstralian media's handling of this and another event. I have seen some very poor form by the Australian media of late, and if Gayle sues, this may well be a wake up call to Australian media to be less "populist and emotive" and a bit more appreciative to the legal rights of any accused sportsman or celebrity. Calling for (another incident) or endorsing someone to lose their job before conviction is not in line with innocent until proven guilty. Further, endorsing someone to lose their job when there is not even a charge laid, and the accuser remains unidentified, and then using irrelevant facts of having a mirror and a stripper pole to justify that sacking position is not in line with logic as applied by the law in determining guilt or innocence. He had that stripper pole and mirror on the ceiling before he was playing the BBL this year to boot!

He has a bit more money than a domestic NRL or AFL footballer, so he can more afford a legal stoush. Even then, his pockets are not deep compared to giant like Fairfax.

If he is banned from the BBL next year, and he can demonstrate (quite easily in my view) that is caused by in the 'indecent exposure' allegation being published then he has a good base for his case to be made out in damages. If he loses any other T20 contracts as a result, the quantum grows.

Questions remain to Fairfax's available defences to publishing the possibly defamatory allegations of indecent exposure by the unidentified person who did not lay charges after the facts are established.

I would be surprised if this makes it to court. I think Gayle is merely sending a very strong warning to the press.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
I'm just speechless that this is still in the media, and this thread still going, FFS