What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

City or Country?

So, with the annual 'exhibition' match hot on our heels, I thought I'd whack this thread up just to see who everyone was going for in this one.

Are you a City slicker or a Country cousin?

Do you support a team based on where you are from, or do you support the team that has your favourite players?

And most importantly, who do you think is gonna win?

Or do you think that this whole game is a waste of time?

As for me, I'm as country as Slim Dusty as this time of year. I love seeing the country boys get up. Partly because I'm from the country area (in rugby league terms anyway... I hardly consider Newcastle to be the country), and partly because most of the Knights players who have played in this game have played for country.

That said, I think thr boys from the bush are gonna get their asses handed to them this year. The 6/7 combination of Kidley (the 5/8 who can't play without a champion halfback) and Finch (the halfback who can't play without a champion 5/8) looks dead set scary for Country when compared to Gower and Orford.

Parki

Bench
very much so

I feel worried for country

I just hope the country boys get through it okay, ready to take on the tiges on sunday

Frederick

Staff member
I'm hoping that Quinn has an absolute blinder. Looks like he's marking up against David Simmons, so it shouldn't be too hard ;-)

Ben

Bench
It's hard for me to choose. I was born, raised and reside in the city. So i'm as city as they come. But i can't bear to support a team that goes against Knights players. So in short, i support Country but don't mind if City take the victory.

strewth_mate

Bench
Yep, country all the way :D Don't know exactly why, probably just because of Newcastle allegiance.

I love the fact that Sydney types consider everyone outside of Sydney to automatically be the 'country' and that it's entirely populated with bumpkins and their water tanks. But come this time of the year I am more than happy to adopt that opinion and play on it for the sake of embracing irony and the spirit of the encounter, which seems to be built on the misguided opinions and prejudices from both sides, all in good humour. It's great stuff.

Country may get rolled, but I'm looking forward to how Kidley performs outside someone else. I get the feeling he'll actually have a good individual game, but whether that means the team will do well accordingly is a different matter.

P.S. City is gay...

Alex28

Coach
I'm a Country boy and I'll be standing on the hill of Apex Oval (one of the few hills out this way...lol) cheering them on...

But they are gonna get flogged :(

It's great that footy of this quality is coming out this way and the town is going to lap it up (the local paper had 12 pages on it today...and it's only Wednesday!).

However it is time to put this game back to where it belongs - full strength teams, everyone open for selection. The guys want to play for Country - it's great to stick it to the city guys. They are proud of where they come from.

Right now however...it's a bit of a joke :(

Stranger

Coach
Shuttup Krappa, City will smash the 'country cousins', thats the only reason you dont give a... :p

Gene Krupa

Referee
You are a complete idiot Ben! :lol:

The reason it's a nothing game is because they already have picked the majority of the NSW team and to have this game, just puts players health st risk for bugger all! If they were using it for origin selection then, yes. It would be worth it but they aren't so it isn't!

gumbi

Juniors
Country boy...Newcastle born and bred.

Spent 5 years in Syd though, but can't remember one City V Country game while i was there......when did it stop/return?

Bring back the days when this match was a real origin selection trial....Chief played himself into the NSW side in '92 through this game.

astrogirl

First Grade
Go Country!!!

I grew up in Newy and all my support is geographically motivated - Knights, Country, NSW, Waratahs, Swannies - you get the picture!