What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

City v Country- Waste of time and a menace to players and clubs!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If it's Kimmorley wearing our colours I can see what you mean :(

Mr Saab

Referee
Kimmorley, Gower, Orford...they are just sooo far behind the eight ball its laughable.

Mr Saab

Referee
Frederick said:
That certain A Johns couldn't even strike fear into the Raiders :p

Ha, the raiders fans will take that game forever....Joeys last game, smashed by the Lime Green.
Seriously though, even though Johns 2007 might not have been Johns 2002, his place in the team lifts the others around him....if i was a center, 2nd rower, prop and i saw Johns at the half i would be boosted with confidence 10 fold...i see Gower....yah

Just like Langer in 2001 game 3 when the Maroons were hammered in game 2 with
Daniel Wagon and Paul Green!

Godz Illa

Coach
Graham, Kimmorley, Laffranchi and I noticed Josh Morris limping as well. The thread title is spot on, but the game is also boring as.

Inferno

Coach
Mr Saab said:
Noddy gone for the weekend.
Ricky will be pleased....actually he just might!

Doubtfull, with Dykes likely not playing we are a bit f**ked if Noddy's out as well.

Raiding Dazz

Juniors
dallymessenger said:
it is totally irrelevant becuase no matter who NSW pcik, they are still going to lose.

:lol:

NSW have Hindmarsh,Ryan,Simpson,Mason,BUderus or Farah,Minichello all proven to play well in origin before.
Our forward pack is alot better than Queensland.

fanatique

Juniors
Pierced Soul said:
it's a waste of time as this 'genuine origin trial' never sees players that perform well get picked in SOO..skandalis anyone?

i agree that the fact it's been wedged in on a thrus night shows that it isnt being taken seriously, and removing test players makes it a 'seconds' trial more than anything

cant play tests mid season afetr origin as the kiwis wont take us on after origin

Exactly. Any game where elite players are excluded is irrelevant. I have no interest in it at all. My own club, the Easts, have 5 players in it this year. Does that mean a thing? No Does it mean the roos are going well? No. Scrap it.

Knight87

Juniors
sharko said:
I believe the current format of City v Country game has become a 'mickey mouse" event and is damaging to players and their clubs.
My reasons are several:

1. It has no bearing on State of Origin selection - the NSW coach and selectors have already pencilled in their squads and they do this by observing form in the toughest most skilled comp in the world, the NRL, not this one off thing.
2. It is being played on a Thursday nite, with players expected to back up some few days later for their real job, playing first grade.
3. The bush has ben treated like dung by the News/NRL and if they wanted to take games to the bush then clubs should be forced to play a game a year out bush and actually contribute something back to the bush instead of outright plunder.
4. It is a physical menace to very highly paid league players and their clubs because any injuries will have a terrible impact on the player and his club, and the fact that an injury is sustained in such a match would be galling.

The NEWS/NRL would be better doing some genuine and practical acts that get some income and infrastructure in the bush instead of such a token nothing match!

The fact that it has been relegated to a Thursday nite speaks volumes for what the administrators of this game think about it.

I fully wholeheartedly agree with that Sharko. The last First Grade game to ever be played in a country area was Rd 23 1998: Sydney Roosters and Gold Coast Chargers played at Eric Weissel Oval in Wagga Wagga. Infact, there were 4 games that year that were played in country areas. As you said, City-Country would be genuine if the best players took part, but that hasn't occured since 2003 (since the test match was played in July) when it was played in Gosford. Each club should take a game to the country. Theyd get about 10-15,000 ppl max im sure. Towns that have adequate stadiums are Wagga Wagga, Albury (Lavington, where the 1994 Tooheys Challenge Final took place), Orange, Bathurst, Parkes and Dubbo. Theres others im sure (ill look it up later). But, yeah, its a nothing game. also the Anzac Test should be scrapped, as we already have a clash played on ANZAC day (St George vs Sydney Roosters). Infact, theres even questions marks over whether that contest should still continue. The target attendance for games held in the country should at least be 10,000 minimum. NRL/NEWS has left the country areas in the scraphold.

Knight87

Juniors
oh, and also, if they arent going to hold first grade games there, they should at least bring back to the Tooheys Challenge and the games can be held in country areas (equivalent to the Challenge Cup/F.A Cup in the UK). Now there is 16 teams, a knockout tournament can take place before the season begins (only lasting 4 weeks). Increase the prize money as an incentive.

salivor

First Grade
Dodger said:
salivor, are you forgetting the rest of NSW who didn't play in tonight's clash? Matt King, Jamie Lyon, Willie Mason, Andrew Ryan, Brent Kite, Nathan Hindmarsh, Steve Simpson, Luke Bailey... plenty of firepower available don't worry.

That's good Timmy but I do believe that the 4 most important positions in the test match that being fullback, 5/8, halfback and hooker were all filled by Queenslanders and all their competitors for those positions were again Queenslanders. That NSW team is shaping up to be a shocker regardless of the Australian reps they're bringing back in.

Philby

Juniors
salivor said:
That's good Timmy but I do believe that the 4 most important positions in the test match that being fullback, 5/8, halfback and hooker were all filled by Queenslanders and all their competitors for those positions were again Queenslanders. That NSW team is shaping up to be a shocker regardless of the Australian reps they're bringing back in.

Fullback, 5/8, half and hooker cant do sh*t if the forwards arnt going forward and the most dominant forwards in the NRL r Blues

salivor

First Grade
Philby said:
Fullback, 5/8, half and hooker cant do sh*t if the forwards arnt going forward and the most dominant forwards in the NRL r Blues

On the flipside, you can have as much forward dominance as you like, if you don't have the key players in the key positions (which NSW don't) capable of capitalising on and creating chances then you're screwed.

Qld don't have the same depth in the forwards as the Blues but they've got a good enough pack to put on the paddock that will hold it's own, that's all they need with the talent in the backline.

Mr Saab

Referee
NSW will get good field position but that will count for nothing if the ball is kicked touch in goal and its a 20m restart.