What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Civoniceva send off

Iafeta

Referee
Deserved to be sent off. Swinging arm that collected the player flush on the chin. All three players this weekend should have gone (Conn, Stewart and Civinoceva).

Iafeta

Referee
What about the sinbin? Surely 10 in the bin was more worthy then a send-off.. Whats the point of evening having sinbins these days if the refs never use them. The ref's need some serious changes in the off season.

The sin bin is being used for professional fouls, fighting, repetitive fouls and referee abuse, not for dangerous play.

Iafeta

Referee
I am a Panthers fan, but, after watching a few replay's, I think Warburton (from memory) fell about 20cm, a split second before contact. So, it really could have hit him around the chest, not flush on the chin.

Really no intent there, but yes, it was a forceful smack on the chops.

I think Stewart's elbow was worse yesterday, and cannot beleive some people say there was no intent, he knew what he was doing.

Given Petero was sent, he should only get 30-40% of what Stewart gets in my opinion.

Hopefully only a week as I want him for our home final!

I remember a game a few years ago where Ruben Wiki had the same swinging motion on David Stagg. Stagg fell quickly before being hit and was basically at belly button high. Wiki copped 4 weeks for it.

dasherhalo

Juniors
I'm not a Panthers fan, so no bias here, but the mitigating factors for me (seeing everyone else has presented the case for the prosecution already!).

• He wasn't square on. He was partially coming over the top and from behind his team mate. That through off his attacking angle.
  • The tacked player was slightly on the way down after being tackled by the first Penrith defender. Not much, but it was there.
  • I only watched it live (and the replays at the time), but it looked like it hit the top of the shoulder as well as the chin. Petero's got some decent arms on him, remember! He also indicated (loudly) that it'd come up off the shoulder, and I've never seen him talk back to a ref in my life. At the very least, he believed it himself!

However.... it was a swinging arm, and there's no doubt it was reckless.

Personally I don't think it was a send off offense, but hey - what's done is done. I thought a penalty and it being put on report, with probably a 1-2 week holiday would have been fair, reduced to 1 because of "good behaviour". If he gets more than 2, it's a rort.

_Johnsy

Referee
I did laugh when petero motioned to the referee that it was his shoulder that hit his head. Lying mrkin, just man up & take your punishment Petero.

hattori hanzo

Juniors
I'm not a Panthers fan, so no bias here, but the mitigating factors for me (seeing everyone else has presented the case for the prosecution already!).

• He wasn't square on. He was partially coming over the top and from behind his team mate. That through off his attacking angle.
  • The tacked player was slightly on the way down after being tackled by the first Penrith defender. Not much, but it was there.
  • I only watched it live (and the replays at the time), but it looked like it hit the top of the shoulder as well as the chin. Petero's got some decent arms on him, remember! He also indicated (loudly) that it'd come up off the shoulder, and I've never seen him talk back to a ref in my life. At the very least, he believed it himself!

However.... it was a swinging arm, and there's no doubt it was reckless.

Personally I don't think it was a send off offense, but hey - what's done is done. I thought a penalty and it being put on report, with probably a 1-2 week holiday would have been fair, reduced to 1 because of "good behaviour". If he gets more than 2, it's a rort

This
I did get a chuckle out of him saying to the ref "mate I'm 6 foot 4":crazy:

Big Mick

Referee
I remember a game a few years ago where Ruben Wiki had the same swinging motion on David Stagg. Stagg fell quickly before being hit and was basically at belly button high. Wiki copped 4 weeks for it.

Wiki also had history behind him.

Civ has none.

fred95

Juniors
Problems at Penrith? Of all the front rowers, I don't think I have seen Petero ever do anything illegal before.
What you say is true, Petero is a true cleanskin but if you look at the replay he took an almighty swing twisting his body away from the ball carrier for extra impact his eyes could not possibly see the point of impact. things were getting fiery and when this happens unintended accidents can happen, still, if one tackles carelessly there's a price to pay.

taxidriver

Coach
it was a swinging arm

send off any day of the week

the screw up in not sending others off doesn't justify anything.

Big Mick

Referee
it was a swinging arm

send off any day of the week

the screw up in not sending others off doesn't justify anything.

Agreed.

But the arguement of "Oh he got sent off so he should get 6 weeks" is also geniused.

So because the ref's finally got a set of stones means Petero should be out for longer than Stewart, Conn, Tahu for what they did?

Stewart and Tahu were both intentional and only Tahu got 10 minutes...and 4 weeks, while Stewart looking at 4 weeks also.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
What you say is true, Petero is a true cleanskin but if you look at the replay he took an almighty swing twisting his body away from the ball carrier for extra impact his eyes could not possibly see the point of impact. things were getting fiery and when this happens unintended accidents can happen, still, if one tackles carelessly there's a price to pay.

Petero is definitely capable of the illegal stuff. He went high in SOO 2009 and came down with an elbow to the face. It started a mini biff. Was in the opening minutes of Game 3 I think.

It's not like he's a high shot merchant, but he's not an angel either.

Iafeta

Referee
Did anyone else seriously flick the Post-Game show on Fox off when they all started dribbling about how it wasn't a send off? Give me a break. It was like watching a Confederates Ball with the matrons telling the fellas that their way is right. Get with reality. It was the very definition of send off - swinging arm, buh-bye. What about Pearce's 'if it's not intentional it's not a send off', no one goes in to intentionally hurt people doofus. However you are also penalised for sloppy technique that results in reckless danger for the opposition. It's like driving Wayne, no one truthfully goes out to cause a road fatality, but you can be reckless about it and are punished accordingly.