What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clean Out Needed

Panfas

Juniors
Based on current form and injuries id expect this to be named. I would play Earl over Simmons, but I doubt it would happen. Naming Earl on the extended bench may be just what Simmons needs

1. L Coote
2. E Uaisele
3. M Jennings
4. B Tighe
5. D Simmons
6. B Austin
7. L Walsh
8. S McKendry
9. T Burns
10. D Weston
11. C Newton
12. C Ciraldo
13. L Lewis
---
14. M Achurch
15. C Armit
16. R Simpkins
17. N Seluini
18. S Earl
19. H Siekja
(two to be omitted)

possible late inclusion on game day
20. T Grant

LeagueLegend

Juniors
We're not, Gould made it clear that the financial situation for the next 12 months isn't very good

The full cap is being spent, it's just not spent well.

As for the re-signing of Tighe and Walsh.... the more things change the more they stay the same.

age.s

First Grade
Depending on what kind of money they're on (or how their deals are structured) Walsh and Tighe are perfectly acceptable signings. Tighe is a serviceable and experienced winger with decent pace and a good tackle, Walsh is a good organizer with a great short kicking game with more to his game that he only shows in bursts. They're both perfectly fine depth signings, and if that's how Cleary sees them in the coming years I have no dramas.

Tighe isn't a center though which is why his signing is standing out as a bad one. Daniela has absolutely carved teams up in a way Tighe (in fact anyone other than Jennings/Gordon/Lewis) will never be able to. I'd love to see him get the kind of support some of the other nuffies we've played at right center have been given over the past few years. Wouldn't mind seeing Prince Harry given a shot but given his age I'm willing to accept that he's not seen as ready to make the step up yet.

abpanther

Staff member
He has always underwhelmed me in FG, still I would like to see him start ahead of Simmons

firechild

First Grade
The thing with Walsh is while he's no world beater, the lack of quality halfbacks means he's going to get a start somewhere. There's probably only about 5 quality (I use the term loosely) 7s (Cronk, DCE, Pearce, Sandow, Wallace - outside Cronk and DCE even the others are not outstanding). Walsh is a bit one dimensional but he doesn't make monumental blunders and his kicking game is good. Unfortunately he has a very shallow bag of tricks and his main play is the bomb which is simply based on chance.

I'm a big fan of Burns but he's not as quick as he used to be (though he's probably slightly more disciplined) so a move to hooker would be good. He plays well when he gets his hands on the ball regularly which he'd be able to do at 9, he's also not afraid to make plenty of tackles.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending where you're looking from) the game plan last night seemed to be give it to Jennings and wait for something to happen. It's the same as Parra throwing the ball to Hayne and standing around waiting for the scoreboard to tick over. The decoys and support play seemed almost non-existent and when holes didn't open up in Manly's line they had no plan B.

franklin2323

Immortal
He has always underwhelmed me in FG, still I would like to see him start ahead of Simmons

He has scored 17 tries in 34 games. Not a bad strike rate. When Simmons/Tighe have scored 1 try in 6 games. Certainly worth a shot. Long term Satini is the one. Short term Daniela deserves a shot

soc123_au

Staff member
What about Watene Zelezniac. He looked a good prospect, the trouble with the NSW cup system is soon as they turn 20 good young players are off the radar. I assume he is running around for Windsor. I would prefer a Windsor player be given a shot, the 20s are killing it so are best left as a settled team where possible.

franklin2323

Immortal
I assume he is running around for Windsor. I would prefer a Windsor player be given a shot, the 20s are killing it so are best left as a settled team where possible.

Not even in NSW Cup. Our backline is: Mansour, T.Robinson, Daniela, Vaivai, Earl, Moylan, Taumata. Vaivai is only 1 game into this season. So atm I would have Daniela/Earl over Tighe/Simmons.

Satini relies too much on a powergame atm. In NRL you need to run good lines etc. Give him a few games for Windsor at the end of the season then a full off-season he can have the 4 next yeae.

franklin2323

Immortal
Daniella is NOT up to NRL standard.

Other then Gordon, Jennings & Coote none of our backs are. After 6 games the right side has scored 1 try. Time to try someone else to do a job until Satini is ready. We don't want to rush him

maple_69

Bench
Simmons and Tighe survived so long without offering anything because they are reasonably solid and mistake free. That hasn't been the case for a little while now and we need to try something else. I'd give guys 2/3 game chances and if they haven't impressed try tye next guy in line. Someone out of satini, earl, daniela, jtk, vai vai, mansour or even austin/taumata is bound to do a better job out wide. I could even live with trying Burns at centre.
If one of the centres impresses Flash comes back in at wing, if a winger impresses Flash comes in at centre.

YoungPanther

Juniors
I agree that Daniella may not be a long term solution but I do remember a game against the Raiders where he scored a couple of tries and played quite well (I think it was Walshy's first game with us). I think he left at the end of that year to go to Wests.

I know he hasn't lived up to his schoolboy days (and plenty haven't) but I firmly believe that the definition of stupidity is perservering with something that doesn't work - and we have been doing this for a number of years.

He may not set the world on fire but he won't be replacing anyone who has.

abpanther

Staff member
I agree he should be given a shot ahead of Tighe and Simmons, both of whom have shown that they have absolutely no more room for growth and development.

It all surprises me that Earl has been given such limited opportunities, after his performances in our finals games in 2010 I thought he would get an extended run

franklin2323

Immortal
I firmly believe that the definition of stupidity is perservering with something that doesn't work - and we have been doing this for a number of years.

He scored a good double against the Tigers a few weeks later. Early on for the tigers scored a hat trick against the Warriors. He's not hopeless & is a worth giving a few games & see how he goes.

For as long as I remember we have the close enough is good enough attitude. F**k that we should aim to be the best. We hear 'insert name' trains well or is a good bloke. Who cares. If they play crap for 4 weeks goodbye in comes someone else.

Kilkenny

Coach
Sadly, the loss of Michael Gordon in 2011 and again this season cannot be underestimated. He is the one outside back who had the ability to make a line break from 'nothing'. No other Panthers outside back can do what Gordon was capable off with his leg drive and ability to break tackles. The options suggested such as Daniela, Earl offer no different to what we already have in the outside backs. When the change comes I would like to see Robinson given a crack as he appears to have real 'pace'.