What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleary the goat

Fangs

Coach
It was Nathan's best year of first grade IMO. I can't fault him. Unusual to say because he didn't play a lot of games but I have 0 criticisms.

As for Ivan? He killed it. From a coaching perspective I reckon its his finest hour. The job on the middle tonight was terrific. I haven't seen halves take on the middle that early in a game before. Truly relentless.

soc123_au

Staff member
From a coaching perspective last night was a 25 out of 10.

With hindsight he nailed the year, cruise as much as possible during the season and unleash when it matters.

The dude clearly knows what he is doing, even if don't understand the plan sometimes.

Fangs

Coach
Nathan Cleary:

29 runs (Most in the team)
212 metres

Can anyone recall a half running that much? Particularly the nature of the runs. A lot of them up the middle and early in the contest. He did run a lot against Melbourne in round 24.

We also threw 20 offloads. Very close to a team high for 2024. The highest was 23 offloads back in round one...against Melbourne.

Thoughtful gameplan from the coach.

Munky

Coach
Ivan completely out coached Bellamy last night.

Sorro playing was a huge boon for us as it meant we had Garner available to go to centre when To'o went off and two true backrowers in position for the final twenty.

The entire game plan was just force contact in the middle and Harry especially. It was telegraphed and Bellamy didn't plan for it. Harry looked like Cam McInnes in the presser.

Selling out on high kicks by swarming the catcher was a brilliant move especially since the Storm have an inaccurate kicking game and can't land the ball where they want. The one time they put it on the goal line it took a brilliant defensive play to stop the try. They just don't have the ability to accurately kick consistently though and Penrith knew it.

Katoa looked the most likely for Melbourne but they never schemed around it, even with a make shift edge defence. Two of our tries were deliberate, the obvious set play for Turuva and the pass back to Nathan to exploit Munster who is low key a terrible defender positionally. Melbourne just didn't seem to have that sort of awareness and relied entirely on out of position markers with Harry making space. We knew it was coming and trampled Harry all game to blunt him.

Apologies for the unstructured word vomit.

Latest posts