What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleary v Ponga

Smug Panther

First Grade
I’ve got him at 5th tbh. Tedesco, RTS and Trbojevic are definitely the top 3. Latrell is next and then Ponga.

He’s a better all round attacking player than Brimson and Papenhuyzen. If you put Papi in an average side he’s nothing special.
Ponga has 10x the talent but I'd rather Edwards at fullback. He really isn't a fullback

some11

Referee
Edwards is like coote in that cowboys team.

Perfect fit but individually not in the same league as teddy, turbo, papz, ponga, rts

Rod

Bench
Ponga is a 6. There is nothing he does now that he couldn't do in the halves and getting his hands on the ball more.

There's no reason to have him as the last line of defence and taking the high kicks when those aren't even his strengths (although I think his defence is better than he's shown so far this year).

myrrh ken

First Grade
Ponga is a 6. There is nothing he does now that he couldn't do in the halves and getting his hands on the ball more.

There's no reason to have him as the last line of defence and taking the high kicks when those aren't even his strengths (although I think his defence is better than he's shown so far this year).

Why didn't it work out for him when they tried that though

Rod

Bench
Not sure but they didn't give it much of a go, by my quick count it was only 2 games at the back end of 2018 and 3 at the start of 2019.

mozza91

Coach
The whole team was playing shit at the beginning of 2019, Ponga was probably one of our better players.

That being said our form improved a lot once he went back to fullback.

The_Frog

First Grade
I’d rather you have Edwards at fullback too. A plodder in a great team is still a plodder.
There's only one fullback in the NRL I'd swap Edwards for, and that's Turbo. Pap would be a close run thing and obviously he has a bit of toe but the others are heading towards the back end of their careers and most of them don't read the play like Dylan does.

That being said our form improved a lot once he went back to fullback.

From an extremely low starting point it must be said.

Last edited:
There's only one fullback in the NRL I'd swap Edwards for, and that's Turbo. Pap would be a close run thing and obviously he has a bit of toe but the others are heading towards the back end of their careers and most of them don't read the play like Dylan does.

Mate, Edwards got palmed of by Starford Toa. That alone should dump him down the list a fair way

And youre cracking jokes if you dont have Teddy, Brimson or Mitchell ahead of Edwards

ACTPanthers

Bench
As others have said, Edwards is no where near the top echelon of fullbacks, but he fits better with OUR team than any other (in my opinion anyway).

Ponga, Pap, Teddy and co are miles ahead talent wise, but Edwards isn't there to be a game breaker like those others - He's there to fill a role, and he fills it well.

As others have said, Edwards is no where near the top echelon of fullbacks, but he fits better with OUR team than any other (in my opinion anyway).

Ponga, Pap, Teddy and co are miles ahead talent wise, but Edwards isn't there to be a game breaker like those others - He's there to fill a role, and he fills it well.
Very very well :thumbsup:

dogslife

Coach
Well blow me down with a feather duster! There is a Nathan Cleary thread on these forums. So maybe every other thread doesn't need to turn into one now?

some11

Referee
Ponga picked the perfect club for a cruisy salary. Bit like fifita at the titans. Theres no pressure to perform because the club is basically using him to make themselves relevant in the hopes it might attract other players to sign with them.

That being said cleary only went up a gear when he got on the gear. Ponga needs to start a cycle if he wants to join the elite tier.

Ponga is a pea heart. Only flashes in club football when playing mediocre opposition, or in Origin when his team is on top and his fellow playmakers are firing. Have yet to see him do anything in a big match. Cleary is no where near as flashy, but is streets ahead of Ponga as a rugby league player.

Last edited:

Latest posts