What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clint Gutherson “King”

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
You lot

54044129.jpg

typicalfan

Coach
Gutho is pretty much the embodiment of all the things people criticised Hayne for not having during his career. If Gutho was to be the one to bring Eels success I wonder how both fullbacks would be compared.

I don't like the bloke but doesn't mean he isn't a decent player, and a great team man for his club. I hated the real King, King Wally, but he absolutely owned state of origin in its era, captained his state and country. King Wally regularly delivered when the stakes were at their highest. Hated but respected him. Wally only played in the NSWRL in the back end of his career which was a real shame.

I don't hate Gutherson with the same venom I did the real King. Mainly because he's not near the quality of player King Wally was and NSW's arch enemy in the 80's. Gutherson is a big head on a decent NRL players' body. Many of his behaviours don't befit a bloke who - in my view - is a decent player who but has got regular errors in his game. He kept up his average 2 blunders a game on saturday night. Yes he had a 15 minute purple patch but with the game in the balance he threw it over the sideline and fumbled in goal. Wont say the in goal disaster cost Parra the game but when the pressure was on... that happened. When the game was in the balance on the biggest stage in the real Kings' day - he always rose to the occasion. Never saw him drop his lollies.

But - Gutherson does bring character to the game which people either love or loathe. Can't say he's vanilla unlike a lot of sportsmen these days.

As for SOO selection...He's way behind Tedesco and then Papenhuyzen for the #1 spot. I'd be gobsmacked and gravely concerned if he was at 1. It's not about me not liking him, we've had loads of big-heads in the past. It's that with his error rate he's not the guy I want protecting my goal line at that level.

I don't normally agree with having a 30-odd-man origin squad but this year given end of season I can see merit given there may be injuries after games 1 & 2 so need to have players who haven't gone off tap at the end of the season. Maybe a reserve centre since we've lost a bunch in Tom T, Staggs, also put Mitchell in that category. But if he got in ahead of Jarrod Croker that'd be an absolute travesty in my books.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Gutho is pretty much the embodiment of all the things people criticised Hayne for not having during his career. If Gutho was to be the one to bring Eels success I wonder how both fullbacks would be compared.

Funny you say that, I was at the game yesterday with my Old Man watching The King in action and I actually said to him imagine if Hayne had Gutho’s heart and brain, he would of been absolutely untouchable.

One player who gets by purely on effort and what’s between his ears. The other with God-Given ability yet never pushed himself to realise his potential.

typicalfan

Coach
I don't like the bloke but doesn't mean he isn't a decent player, and a great team man for his club. I hated the real King, King Wally, but he absolutely owned state of origin in its era, captained his state and country. King Wally regularly delivered when the stakes were at their highest. Hated but respected him. Wally only played in the NSWRL in the back end of his career which was a real shame.

I don't hate Gutherson with the same venom I did the real King. Mainly because he's not near the quality of player King Wally was and NSW's arch enemy in the 80's. Gutherson is a big head on a decent NRL players' body. Many of his behaviours don't befit a bloke who - in my view - is a decent player who but has got regular errors in his game. He kept up his average 2 blunders a game on saturday night. Yes he had a 15 minute purple patch but with the game in the balance he threw it over the sideline and fumbled in goal. Wont say the in goal disaster cost Parra the game but when the pressure was on... that happened. When the game was in the balance on the biggest stage in the real Kings' day - he always rose to the occasion. Never saw him drop his lollies.

But - Gutherson does bring character to the game which people either love or loathe. Can't say he's vanilla unlike a lot of sportsmen these days.

As for SOO selection...He's way behind Tedesco and then Papenhuyzen for the #1 spot. I'd be gobsmacked and gravely concerned if he was at 1. It's not about me not liking him, we've had loads of big-heads in the past. It's that with his error rate he's not the guy I want protecting my goal line at that level.

I don't normally agree with having a 30-odd-man origin squad but this year given end of season I can see merit given there may be injuries after games 1 & 2 so need to have players who haven't gone off tap at the end of the season. Maybe a reserve centre since we've lost a bunch in Tom T, Staggs, also put Mitchell in that category. But if he got in ahead of Jarrod Croker that'd be an absolute travesty in my books.
He has already jumped ahead of Croker he has made the squad and was close to selection last year. Gutho doesn't play centre because he is more influential at fullback, not because he can't play centre. These positional gripes are a bit overrated for origin, pick the best players and sort the rest out later.

juro

Bench
King Gutho

King Gutho
King Gutho
King gutho king gutho king gutho king gutho king guffo king guffo king gufo kingufo kinggufo kingufokinggofokinggo foking go

Foking go!

He has already jumped ahead of Croker he has made the squad and was close to selection last year. Gutho doesn't play centre because he is more influential at fullback, not because he can't play centre. These positional gripes are a bit overrated for origin, pick the best players and sort the rest out later.

Yeah although as the Raiders are still in the comp their players wont be named yet of course.

Hear what you say, reckon he could be a good centre. Unsure if he's played there before for any significant time.. you know?

I'm a firm believer of picking players in position, unless there are an absolute standout superstar. I was initially against TT playing wing be he won me over deluxe when he got his shot in a blue jumper. I put him in the highest bracket of elite players in the current game though (but a real pity he can't stay on the park of late).

My view is answering a simple question - who's a better centre - Croker or Gutherson?

For me it's a no-brainer that Croker is far away the better of of the two.. a bloke who's played their all his career in the centres, captain of his team, holds multiple point scoring records (and as a bonus - is a bloody good goal kicker).... versus Gutherson who doesn't even play the position.

Maybe they'll both get a run.

MugaB

Coach
My view is answering a simple question - who's a better centre - Croker or Gutherson?
None, Gutho won't get a start, he'll play no.18 guaranteed, Papenhausen or Stephen Chricton get ahead of all of them, you cant coach that amount of speed and talent, I'd expect if cody walker doesn't get the starting 5/8,
jack Whighton will, and both paps, and crita get the job for the centres

None, Gutho won't get a start, he'll play no.18 guaranteed, Papenhausen or Stephen Chricton get ahead of all of them, you cant coach that amount of speed and talent, I'd expect if cody walker doesn't get the starting 5/8,
jack Whighton will, and both paps, and crita get the job for the centres

Sadly I think you're right that Croker wont get a start.... unless the Raiders win the comp and plays out of his skin. But there's no more deserving centre in the the comp to get a SOO berth than him IMO.

And answering the question again - he's a better centre than Gutherson.

MugaB

Coach
Sadly I think you're right that Croker wont get a start.... unless the Raiders win the comp and plays out of his skin. But there's no more deserving centre in the the comp to get a SOO berth than him IMO.

If Croker gets in to the 27, there must be a case for Josh Morris then

typicalfan

Coach

Maybe true, Croker probably deserves an opportunity, but I think Freddy will give Gutho first crack, he has high praise for him and is also a club captain, and an effort player similar but different to Wighton. Those guys you know will do whatever it takes.

With the amount of spots left I'd be very surprised if Croker is one of them. Not because he doesn't deserve it just because I don't think they will pick him.