What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clinton Toopi poised to return to NRL with Gold Coast Titans

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Clinton Toopi poised to return to NRL with Gold Coast Titans
By staff writers
February 01, 2010
Former New Zealand centre Clinton Toopi says he is ready to make a return to the NRL with Gold Coast Titans.

The 29-year-old, who played 119 games for the Warriors before moving to England in 2006, has been training with the Titans for the past month and will be offered a contract if he impresses in the upcoming pre-season trials.

Toopi, who is coming off a brief rugby union stint in New Zealand, admits the deal with the Titans is one of his last chances to revive his career.

"It's my last roll of the dice," he said.

"I'm just thankful the Titans have given me the opportunity."

Toopi had a frustrating run of injuries in his two year stint in England, including a knee reconstruction and played just 15 games in two seasons at Leeds Rhinos.

Titans coach John Cartwright says the 14-Test veteran would be a valuable inclusion for the Titans, who had a great season in 2009 before fading badly in the finals.

"At his peak he was one of the best centres in the world," Cartwright said.

"He's in great shape physically ... I see no reason why he can't be a very important player for us."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26663579-23214,00.html

Is there anyone that goes to training sessions that can update me with Toopi's progress? any injury hassles, how is he gelling with the team and has he impressed?

playdaball

Bench
Interesting that a top 4 team (Titans) believe he has what it takes yet one of the cellar dwellers (Warriors) were not keen on looking at him.

I'm not 100% conviced - time will tell.

Good luck to him and also to the Titans

Coaster

Bench
Gold Coast Titans set to sign former Warriors centre Clinton Toopi

Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright says former New Zealand Test centre Clinton Toopi doesn't need to do anything more to prove he deserves a contract for 2010.

But Toopi says he wants to have two trials against NRL quality opposition before signing on the dotted line.

The 29-year-old has been named in the Titans squad to play South Sydney at Coffs Harbour on Saturday night and is also expected to get a hit-out against North Queensland Cowboys in Darwin next Saturday.

"I'm over the moon to hear John has so much faith in me," Toopi said.

"But I'll see how I get through the next two games. I'd like to put pen to paper as soon as possible, but I have had some pretty bad injuries and I want to see how things go."

Toopi's Titans debut against a youthful Broncos outfit at Ipswich last Friday was solid rather than spectacular. But Cartwright said his performance, on top of his exemplary attitude at training, had convinced him to give the former Warriors and Leeds Rhinos star a chance.

"I don't expect too much of Clinton, but I know if he stays healthy he'll be a tremendous asset for us at some stage through the year," he said.

"I saw enough of him the other night just through his talk and experience, his cool head - I just know if he stays healthy we will get a lot out of him.

"We'll talk to him when the trials are over. It's more about him being comfortable with his injuries."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26743092-5018866,00.html

Toopi was a good player in his prime...good pace and could spot a gap and offload.

The only concern is that his ball handling at critical times is below par and he can be a defensive concern in missing tackles.

Latest posts