What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C'mon Fitzy !!!

cardinal

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Should they have let Blake Green and Feleti Mateo go instead?

Great point. After watching these young guys I can now see why yourself and Jake wanted these young guys to get a chance so bad. Will be interested to see if our young forwards like Wellar and Zeb can do the same. If Fitzy and our retention commitee can sign Tim, Hayne, Inu, Mateo, Green, Keating and any of the other best young kids to long term contracts they deserve a huge pat on the back. Personally I think they might want to stick together after seeing Hagan will give the young guys a go, and after a few wins they will start to think that they can have long term success together. It will not hurt having Cayless and Hindy in their ear after signing for the rest of their playing days. Of course the dollars will still have to match up.

forward pass

Coach
eelavation said:
yes, until the day we die people will continue to ask the same questions as if we're the only club in the world that loses players.

Yes Eela - all clubs lose players. And I have no problem with us losing our FAIR SHARE. But come on, you can't say any other club has lost the number or quality that we have - in a fairly short period of time !

Stagger eel

Staff member
forward pass said:
Yes Eela - all clubs lose players. And I have no problem with us losing our FAIR SHARE. But come on, you can't say any other club has lost the number or quality that we have - in a fairly short period of time !

yes...and that was also touched on several occasions. the last 2 years we carried several players on a very minimal wage and most of them jumped at the chance of the money Souths and the Tits had available.

Ron Jeremy said:
Who takes care of the finances? obviously Fitzy.

The Club's CFO Tulio Confrancesco is in charge of in finances.

Fitzy "Runs" the club as in he Makes the decision on what colour the walls should be.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Should they have let Blake Green and Feleti Mateo go instead?

Why would you let them go. They could have kept McKinnon and the players above. ;-)

McKinnon only wanted an extra year, it's not like he was asking for extra money.

Hazem got an extra year at the dogs.......can you see the diff??

Stagger eel

Staff member
COACH STERLING said:
Why would you let them go. They could have kept McKinnon and the players above. ;-)

McKinnon only wanted an extra year, it's not like he was asking for extra money.

Hazem got an extra year at the dogs.......can you see the diff??

the difference????...Jarryd Hayne and an extra 200K to match the Warriors??

I've been told by a club official that wouldn't have been able to keep the youngind we did if we re-signed Kinners with the money he was offered by the Warriors...what were you told???

COACH STERLING

Juniors
eelavation said:
the difference????...Jarryd Hayne and an extra 200K to match the Warriors??

I've been told by a club official that wouldn't have been able to keep the youngind we did if we re-signed Kinners with the money he was offered by the Warriors...what were you told???

I was told that Luke Burt is on the same money as what McKinnon wanted ;-)

We could have kept Hayne & McKinnon.

Club officials will tell you what you want to hear although there might be some truth behind that one!

Stagger eel

Staff member
COACH STERLING said:
I was told that Luke Burt is on the same money as what McKinnon wanted ;-)

that would probably be correct...but I bet you that Kinners is now on more..;-) ...and luke is more than likely on the same money.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
eelavation said:
that would probably be correct...but I bet you that Kinners is now on more..;-) ...and luke is more than likely on the same money.

Agree......

But my point is McKinnon was happy to stay with for less than what the Warriors offered him, he just didn't get that extra year. It might have something to do with a view to the future having Hayne at the club.

Players that could have been kept had we been less careless are McKinnon & Bobcat.

Personally, I think we didn't gain anything in the short term by letting them go.

Stagger eel

Staff member
COACH STERLING said:
Agree......

But my point is McKinnon was happy to stay with for less than what the Warriors offered him, he just didn't get that extra year. It might have something to do with a view to the future having Hayne at the club.

Players that could have been kept had we been less careless are McKinnon & Bobcat.

Personally, I think we didn't gain anything in the short term by letting them go.

* Ask Smithy about bobcat.

* I personally don't regret the clubs decision to sacrifise Kinners who plays a position that we're well covered...but that's just me, infact I'm more upset about letting moro go personally.

* I prefer a decision that will suit the club in the long term personally, but again, that's just me.

CrazyEel

Bench
eelavation said:
* I personally don't regret the clubs decision to sacrifise Kinners who plays a position that we're well covered...but that's just me, infact I'm more upset about letting moro go personally.
That's me as well, still believe Morro was the only one we really miss. :(

COACH STERLING

Juniors
eelavation said:
* Ask Smithy about bobcat.

* I prefer a decision that will suit the club in the long term personally, but again, that's just me.

* I'm presuming you implying that Bobcat didn't get along with Smitty

* McKinnon shouldn't have been the sacrificed. Burt is lesser a player IMO (although he's proving me wrong at the moment)

* We haven't gained anything by letting players go in the past. 03 & 04 were horrendous. Some of this was attributed by the lack of quality retention and injuries.

Lessons have to be learn't from our retention policy, it's obvious that we have had an abundance of talent and clearly, we are never going to keep all 165 players which have passed through the club, however, we can be more astute with picking and choosing who to retain. I think this year will be one of our most sucessful in recent years. I'm pretty confident Inu, Green, Mateo will all be signed, which is why I will give Hages and the crew credit when it happens!

Stagger eel

Staff member
COACH STERLING said:
* I'm presuming you implying that Bobcat didn't get along with Smitty

* McKinnon shouldn't have been the sacrificed. Burt is lesser a player IMO (although he's proving me wrong at the moment)

* We haven't gained anything by letting players go in the past. 03 & 04 were horrendous. Some of this was attributed by the lack of quality retention and injuries.

Lessons have to be learn't from our retention policy, it's obvious that we have had an abundance of talent and clearly, we are never going to keep all 165 players which have passed through the club, however, we can be more astute with picking and choosing who to retain. I think this year will be one of our most sucessful in recent years. I'm pretty confident Inu, Green, Mateo will all be signed, which is why I will give Hages and the crew credit when it happens!

well this is effectively Hage's second year at the club in terms of retention and the difference is he doesn't have to coach a completely different side in the process and contend with 2 clubs with their whole sallary cap to play with..

I'm not exactly sure how successful he'll be especially with clubs knoking on Feleti's door, if a club wants Feleti bad enough they'll move heaven and earth to get him but at the same time we'll need to give him a substantial increase to keep him.

eel01s

Bench
Well the key for the retention committee (or whatever its called) is timing. Surely they have plans for who they want to resign (probably 95% complete). It is just a matter of tabling an offer that is acceptable to both parties prior to other clubs sniffing around. On the other hand, I would assume management would like to have longer to see how some players go in first grade before negotitating with them.

I am sure everyone knows that decisions made this year could make or break the team for the next three years.

Stagger eel

Staff member
eel01s said:
Well the key for the retention committee (or whatever its called) is timing. Surely they have plans for who they want to resign (probably 95% complete). It is just a matter of tabling an offer that is acceptable to both parties prior to other clubs sniffing around. On the other hand, I would assume management would like to have longer to see how some players go in first grade before negotitating with them.

I am sure everyone knows that decisions made this year could make or break the team for the next three years.

spot on and all counts..and I know for a fact they're working extra hard [especially tony Zappia] to sure things up, it's obviously challenge but it is a real work in progress.

btw, I don't agree with the fact that it couls make or break for the next three years, the club works hard to put a competative team on the park every year.

eel01s

Bench
eelavation said:
btw, I don't agree with the fact that it couls make or break for the next three years, the club works hard to put a competative team on the park every year.

OK maybe I could have worded it better. I am sure the club wants a competitive team every year, I guess I was trying to say that if the players we retain don't perform as well in first grade as the players we lose, we won't achieve the success that we might have.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
eelavation said:
well this is effectively Hage's second year at the club in terms of retention and the difference is he doesn't have to coach a completely different side in the process and contend with 2 clubs with their whole sallary cap to play with..

I'm not exactly sure how successful he'll be especially with clubs knoking on Feleti's door, if a club wants Feleti bad enough they'll move heaven and earth to get him but at the same time we'll need to give him a substantial increase to keep him.

I have the feeling your not so confident with us keeping Mateo. I don't think clubs will offer any ridiculous amounts like 250K, and we'll definitely give him a substantial increase. Without speculating too much, I can't see us not offering him atleast 170K. If he was to leave, it wouldn't be for too much more, which is why I would find it suprising considering he is a Parra boy through and through.

Stagger eel

Staff member
COACH STERLING said:
I have the feeling your not so confident with us keeping Mateo. I don't think clubs will offer any ridiculous amounts like 250K, and we'll definitely give him a substantial increase. Without speculating too much, I can't see us not offering him atleast 170K. If he was to leave, it wouldn't be for too much more, which is why I would find it suprising considering he is a Parra boy through and through.

I'm rarely confident about many things :lol:

the fact is, there are clubs out there that want him and a couple of people here would confirm that however i don't believe we'll lose him without a fight. there's no real point in throwing figures in the air because I'm not really prepared to guess what he'll be offered here and externally.