What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach drama will make it tough for Eels: Morrison

El Diablo

Post Whore
<H1>Coach drama will make it tough for Eels: Morrison
By Andrew Webster
December 4, 2005

Parramatta back-rower Glenn Morrison has said Brian Smith was "hurting on the inside" as Newcastle coach Michael Hagan yesterday took a sizeable step towards taking the top job at the Eels.

Hagan and his accountant-cum-manager Peter Tracey met Parramatta officials in Sydney yesterday and while the meeting was shrouded in secrecy, it is considered the first move in the Knights coach replacing Smith from 2007.

While negotiations between the Eels and Hagan are expected to continue into the new year, Morrison said he and his teammates were hell-bent on sending Smith out a winner.

But he admitted the revelation that next season would be Smith's last was showing on the coach, not that it was affecting his work.

"I feel sorry for him," said Morrison, who was at North Sydney when coach Peter Louis was dumped in the late 1990s. "You can tell he is hurting on the inside. He's still the same coach and he's remained as professional as always.

"But it has to be affecting him on the inside. He wouldn't be liking it.

"It's going to be a tough year. I've been at clubs before when coaches have been sacked mid-season and there's uncertainty about who is coaching next year. It's hard to get it out of your mind.

"Brian has been building towards this coming season as a big one for us for some time so hopefully we can send him off as we'd like."

Smith is yet to speak publicly about leaving Parramatta, who he has coached for 10 years, though it is understood he is privately upset by the board's decision.

Morrison's comments come amid speculation that some senior players were concerned Smith might walk out on the final year of his contract.

Several senior players contacted last night were tight-lipped about any such approach, and given Smith earns $400,000 a season at Parramatta it is unlikely that he would walk away prematurely.

But there has been concern expressed by Eels players that he would walk away early.

"When [Eels chief executive] Denis Fitzgerald first told us that Brian's contract wasn't going to be renewed, the first question someone asked was if he was going to be here next year," Morrison said. "Denis assured us that he would."

Fitzgerald refused to confirm there was a meeting with Hagan yesterday, let alone comment on it.

But he said the Eels remained on track for finding a replacement for Smith by the start of next season.

"We have said all along that we want to sort this out before next season and we are confident that will happen," he said.

Morrison said Eels players had not talked at length about the possibility of Hagan taking over.

Assistant coach Peter Sharp has also expressed interest in the job, though he has also been linked to a possible swap with Hagan at the Knights - where Sharp began his coaching career.

It seems Parramatta have identified Hagan as the man they want. "We keep hearing the talk like everyone else that Hagan is the favourite for the position," Morrison said. "Not many of us have had much to do with him but he seems to be a decent coach and a decent bloke.

"We just want a coach who is going to build on the good work that Brian has done."

Hagan and Tracey did not return The Sun-Herald's calls yesterday.

Source: The Sun-Herald
</H1>http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/coach-drama-will-make-it-tough-for-eels-morrison/2005/12/03/1133422151514.html

Could be a bad year. Be worse in 07 if we sign Hagan.

Pazza

First Grade
He has had 10 seasons at the club and zero premierships, im sorry but hes had his shot.

Kornstar

Coach
I wanted JT as coach, however if Hagan gets the job i will support him. I didn't think he would ever leave John's though.

How would JT be feeling right now too, as well as Sharpe, it would have to be pretty hard on them considering they really haven't even been mentioned for the job.....and it is pretty obviou that they want it!

Avenger

Immortal
Eelementary said:
The more I read about this whole business, the sadder I get...

I hate it...

I agree. You cannot help but feel sorry for Smith.

I am getting concerned that Hagan's first priority is not with Parra. I'm thinking a coach that has us as priority number 1 should be the one we take.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Avenger said:

I am getting concerned that Hagan's first priority is not with Parra. I'm thinking a coach that has us as priority number 1 should be the one we take.

that's also starting to concern me, I still have this feeling that alot will happen between the announcement of the new coach and the start of the kick off.

Stagger eel

Staff member
In terms of next year, as long as Smithy stays we'll be sweet, I've been told that the players have been really positive and talking up next year more than any other time during the off season and have virtually dedicated next year to Smithy.

sixtynine

Juniors
What do you rekon will happen if we win the comp this season??Will we suddenly want him back ??

Utey

Coach
Id love to hear Smithys take on all this. I hope he writes an autobiography one day.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Will be very interesting to see how everyone reacts next year

to be honest I'm expecting either a premiership or a wooden spoon in 2006 I honestly can't see any middle ground coming our way in 2006.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Pazza said:
He has had 10 seasons at the club and zero premierships, im sorry but hes had his shot.

That's fair enough. And I'm inclined to agree.

But I do think there is reason enough to offer him a place in the club that isn't necessarily at Head Coach...

Eelementary

Post Whore
Avenger said:

I know!

And the fact that Morro - a guy that only joined our club last year - feels so bad for him and wants to win it just as much for Smithy as for himself...Well it shows the type of man Brian is, let alone the type of coach he is.

I really wish we would offer him some sort of role to stay on with us.

Eelementary

Post Whore
And to answer your question sixtynine, I believe that regardless of the result in 2006, Brian won't be Head Coach of our club past 2006...We could go undefeated and win every match (including the finals and Grand Final) by 50 points - that would just about be the only way they may reconsider.

So fire up lads!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Eelementary said:
And to answer your question sixtynine, I believe that regardless of the result in 2006, Brian won't be Head Coach of our club past 2006...We could go undefeated and win every match (including the finals and Grand Final) by 50 points - that would just about be the only way they may reconsider.

So fire up lads!

they can't reconsider when they want the 07 coach signed before next season starts

eels1986

Juniors
Look I am a huge Brian Smith and have always defended him but I am willing to give someone else a go. Whether it be Hagan, Murray, Anderson or Taylor the point is the coach is going to want to win a premiership just like you and I. As for BS well I say thank you so very much for getting the Eels so strong as a club and I wish him all the best for 2006 and beyond and hope that he can get win a premiership to put the demons to bed. Smith is a great coach and whoever picks him will have someone special to turn their club around and make it stronger. Let's get behind the Eels no matter who is in charge.

parra pete

Referee
I have a gut feeling Brian Smith will be at Souths in 2007. The only thing I can see that will prevent it happening it is Shane Richo/Shaun McRae are good mates.
Bloody shame. Brian Smith,IMO, been the best thing to happen at the Eels since the Jack Gibson era.
Denis Fitz is a good mate of mine, a great administrator, but I an VERY DISAPPOINTED at the way he - and the Club - has handled this matter.
I hope he (Denis) hasn't been influenced by Ray Hadley, who, again IMO, is the biggest peanut in Rugby League, bar none.

Latest posts