What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Flanno

possm

Coach
Nothing against Cooper, a champion player, and he might turn out to be the greatest assistant coach in the history of the game, by why no outrage that he is an old boy as i can see those calls if he comes in and is not successful.
Old boys have always been given a go by the club and fans. It is only the old boys that prove to be a failure and are then kept on that we have a problem with.

Harry Bath was an old boy but admired by all at the Dragons when he turned out to be a super coach.

possm

Coach
We need to see some signings soon.
I don't see as finishing above bottom 4 next year with our current roster
Flanno has his work cut out for him
Well, we blew the change to say goodbye to Hunt and so, now we are stuck with him for 2024. We have some players that are worth keeping and some we just can't get rid of tor next season:

1. Lomax
2. ?
3. Suli
4. ?
5. Ravalawa
6. ?
7. Hunt
8. De Belin
9. K Flannagan
10. ?
11. ?
12. Su'A
13. ?

14. Amone
15. Lawrie
16. F Molo
17. Couchman

Maybe some of our youngsters can step up and maybe Flanno can land a few first-grade players.

possm

Coach
Correct me if i am wrong, but we have 1 current international of note (Hunt), are second last on the ladder, yet we have a tight salary cap and can't afford any decent players. Yet the top teams have space to upgrade their rosters with rep quality talent. Salary cap is really evening out the playing field.
Another list management mess!

Inisai Toga

Juniors
…who
Old boys have always been given a go by the club and fans. It is only the old boys that prove to be a failure and are then kept on that we have a problem with.

Harry Bath was an old boy but admired by all at the Dragons when he turned out to be a super coach.
….who had Coached Australia and Balmain to 2 Grand Finals before he joined us…

Last edited:

56to66

Juniors
It will take Flanno at least 2 years to turn this clubs fortunes around, he will need at least 3 quality forwards and 2 quality backs, that won't happen in a couple of months. I just hope the Red V can follow the Sharks path post 2010, if not, this sack coach business is bullshit,
the joint venture must be dismantled and new owners are needed or expect them to become the Magpies, Rabbits of the 90's, last or 2nd last every year.
St George has a rich history 15 premiership, 11 in a Row, Surely Paul Smith would like to own them and restore our position in Rugby League.

Last edited:

saintmar

Juniors
Flano is a so called premiership winning coach who can apparently attract talented players.
Well why does he need two years to turn this clubs fortunes?
He is not here with a so called "five year plan".
It's sink or swim from the beginning with no excuses.
Their are others waiting in the wings to take over if he fails.
Look at Andrew Webster turn around the Warriors.

56to66

Juniors
Flano is a so called premiership winning coach who can apparently attract talented players.
Steve Price
Paul McGregor
Anthony Griffin
Shane Flanagan
Cole Smith
Michael Page
John Wright
Colin Mowe
Dusty Mover
Ahmed Toula
Joseph Knight
Misty Zilch
Bicep Curly
Crusy Dice
Minty Zane
Ziggy Dick
John Dowsing
Kero How
Jeff Dezos
Billy Aches
Warren Boffoun
Mark Wepsta.
How many coaches must they go through before ppl realize something?
The Venture Stinks!

Peach & Apricot

Juniors

It takes time to change culture comprehensively. Flanno was also signed relatively late in the year so didn't takeover at a time where there were too many players on market available for 2024 at such short notice.

Trifili13

Juniors
People keep using the Broncos, Cowboys and Warriors as evidence you can turn a team around in 1 or 2 seasons. I might be wrong but I would say they started with much better rosters than ours and only needed 1 or 2 players and some direction and game plan to turn it around. We on the otherhand probably need 6 or 7 top quality players to turn it around. Do we have any damaging forwards that bend the line, no, do we have any speedy backs, no.

redVinme

Bench
People keep using the Broncos, Cowboys and Warriors as evidence you can turn a team around in 1 or 2 seasons. I might be wrong but I would say they started with much better rosters than ours and only needed 1 or 2 players and some direction and game plan to turn it around. We on the otherhand probably need 6 or 7 top quality players to turn it around. Do we have any damaging forwards that bend the line, no, do we have any speedy backs, no.
Look at the forwards both the cowboys and Broncos are producing. Haas, Fifita(at titans now), Flegler, Carrigan, Riki, Piakura, Nanai, Cotter, Gilbert (at dolphins now) Neame, Luki, Finefeuiaki

All probably still under 25 and get to hit thier peak with some just starting but full of potential.

I'd literally prefer any of those players over any of our forwards except Sua.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Broncos are a powerhouse club with heaps of money and corporate backers.
Imo overall they have underperformed and should have won more comps
The warriors always have one good season every ten
And the cows were disappointing second half of the year and overall have been average at best (2015) exception.
Consistency is the benchmark
Eg Melb ( hate to say it) but every year they aim up
Rorters pretty much the same
Panthers last few seasons as well but before that were also disappointing
Bunnies have been consistent last ten years
Sharkies just scrape in pass mark
The rest pretty much rubbish
The reason not enough to go around and not enough money at grassroots to keep kids motivated

Old Timer

Coach
Well a new era is about to start for the club and its supporters.

Having followed the club for > 60 years it is depressing to see what has become of a once great entity.

Many have posted about where the fault lies and most likely all have an element truth to them with no 1 reason being the sole cause rather the sum of many little bits.

The last 12 years has been like a recurring nightmare and deeply traumatising for those who have a genuine re pore / love for the club. Some of the decisions have been so short sighted, morally corrupt and gut wrenching to endure.

Mediocrity at all levels of management and playing roster including abysmal behaviour both on and off the field and no sense of shame attached to any of it other than for the shame that the faithful fans feel watching us spiral into the abyss.

I have made my feelings well known about the incoming coach and have no doubt I have also great animosity towards the ARL & NRL for the way they have destroyed my love for the game.

So very shortly I will take a rest from all things NRL and find / rekindle some other interests to fill in my days and I hope that circumstances do change that allows me to participate in this part of the forum again as in many ways it has been a godsend and great distraction from other not so fun things that also occupy some of my time.

I will be in some sections of the forum like politics, fishing, punting etc so will no
doubt be able to lock horns with some of you on those subject matters

To all those that remain I wish you whatever it is that you wish for yourself and I take this opportunity to thank all those that have agreed / disagreed / like / disliked my posts as that is what makes the place fun.

Latest posts