What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Power Rankings preseason 2019

carcharias

Immortal
What?! Use of the english language and comprehension skills is beyond you? Sorry, but less than 0.001% of people have any potential for ESP, so I can't seek them out to read your mind for what you meant because your post was so general and imprecise :p

Well the thread title does say 2019 .
Pretty sure that makes it Robinson.

Next time though I’ll be sure to explain the obvious parts to you.

T-Boon

Coach
Just looking through the list of coaches, they add no value to the game. None of them give a good interview and most of them give a terrible interview. They promote the game badly and are a bad example to the players. I would describe them all as surly. Because rugby league is a simple game it does not really need full time coaches, they end up filling their time by trying to find ways to cheat wrestle and such.
If the players had a strike the game would be crippled. Whereas if the coaches had a strike the game would be better. That tells you their value to the game.
We should go back to captain coaches.

TheFrog

Coach
7 Ivan Cleary
Did pretty well with a no-name roster in '18. Won 50% while Robbo with the best team money could buy managed 67% in the season proper, and a couple of those fortuitous to say the least. This is why Wests fans were aghast at him leaving. I wonder how Robinson would have gone with the side he had.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Did pretty well with a no-name roster in '18. Won 50% while Robbo with the best team money could buy managed 67% in the season proper, and a couple of those fortuitous to say the least. This is why Wests fans were aghast at him leaving. I wonder how Robinson would have gone with the side he had.

Cleary and your Robinson/Maguire seem different coaches. However it also could be the opportunities each has been given. Cleary IMO has never really had a roster capable of seriously challenging for a title. Whereas the other two have only ever had strong rosters and unlimited resources.

I find it funny how Robinson was being questioned by many pundits (including roosters fans) if he had what it takes to win them another comp. He then added the best fullback and halfback in the comp to a roster which came 2nd last year and won the Grand Final. Did his coaching really improve? Or was it just adding 2 genuine superstars to an already successful roster that took him over the edge?

Funnily enough I feel Maguire would have been a perfect fit for Penrith and Cleary was still the type of coach Wests needed, for at least one more year anyway.

Will be interesting to watch both their progress this year. Cleary has a roster which really should be top 4 or bust. He has shown he is great at building a club, but can he take it to that next step? At various times over last season I was fairly crictical of Ivan’s tactics. I don’t think that he has as good a footy brain as some others on that list, however from my understanding these days the assistant coaches do more with the gameplan then the head. He also showed that he didn’t handle the heat very well when the media came down on him. There will certainly be high expectations, both internally and externally at the foot of the mountains, and some sections of the media will be gleefully waiting to launch into him and Gus if Penrith have a bit of a rough patch.

Maguire on the other hand probably doesnt have the expectations that Ivan does. IMO he certainly should though. Clearly got the wooden spoon favorites to an impressive 9th. 13 of the 20 years of NRL their points would have nabbed 8th. Having lost no one of note, picking up 3 players who whilst not Stars, are better then who was there last year, and a pre season which has started without a single player in rehab, anything other then a finals spot should be considered a failure.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Cleary and your Robinson/Maguire seem different coaches. However it also could be the opportunities each has been given. Cleary IMO has never really had a roster capable of seriously challenging for a title. Whereas the other two have only ever had strong rosters and unlimited resources.

I find it funny how Robinson was being questioned by many pundits (including roosters fans) if he had what it takes to win them another comp. He then added the best fullback and halfback in the comp to a roster which came 2nd last year and won the Grand Final. Did his coaching really improve? Or was it just adding 2 genuine superstars to an already successful roster that took him over the edge?

Funnily enough I feel Maguire would have been a perfect fit for Penrith and Cleary was still the type of coach Wests needed, for at least one more year anyway.

Will be interesting to watch both their progress this year. Cleary has a roster which really should be top 4 or bust. He has shown he is great at building a club, but can he take it to that next step? At various times over last season I was fairly crictical of Ivan’s tactics. I don’t think that he has as good a footy brain as some others on that list, however from my understanding these days the assistant coaches do more with the gameplan then the head. He also showed that he didn’t handle the heat very well when the media came down on him. There will certainly be high expectations, both internally and externally at the foot of the mountains, and some sections of the media will be gleefully waiting to launch into him and Gus if Penrith have a bit of a rough patch.

Maguire on the other hand probably doesnt have the expectations that Ivan does. IMO he certainly should though. Clearly got the wooden spoon favorites to an impressive 9th. 13 of the 20 years of NRL their points would have nabbed 8th. Having lost no one of note, picking up 3 players who whilst not Stars, are better then who was there last year, and a pre season which has started without a single player in rehab, anything other then a finals spot should be considered a failure.

The Chooks added some big names, but it was their defence that went to another level in 2018, particularly in the finals.

I also cannot help but feel that their poor performance against the Cowboys in the 2017 preliminary served to motivate their pack.

It really was one of the most impressive finals performances I have seen by a team in recent memory. Their rivals had nothing against the Roosters' defence.

carcharias

Immortal
Was going to quote the next line until I realised it would probably get me banned.

How In f**k’s name is this f**kwits user name allowed?

Mate you’re a deadset dickhead.
21 posts under possibly the most offensive account name I’ve seen on these forums.

Stick to one of your other shithouse fake accounts.

Absolute merkin of a forum name.
It can only come from an absolute merkin of a person , who would be dumb enough to think that it is funny.

TheFrog

Coach
Should do an experiment and see if Dennis Ferguson or Mr Bubbles or Albert Fish are allowed. There've been a lot of nasty people in the history of the world, and it would be a big ask to blacklist them all.

carcharias

Immortal
Should do an experiment and see if Dennis Ferguson or Mr Bubbles or Albert Fish are allowed. There've been a lot of nasty people in the history of the world, and it would be a big ask to blacklist them all.

Only a f**kwit would consider using any of those as well.

TheFrog

Coach
The Chooks added some big names, but it was their defence that went to another level in 2018, particularly in the finals.
A premiership won not only by the chequebook, but on the drawing board. Much of their defensive ability came from gaming the rules regarding defending on their own line. Not the only team to do this, but they did it better than anyone else and got away with murder at times it must be said.

My view is that when defending a play the ball less than 10 metres out, both feet should be in-goal. This, after all, is the rule for offside from attacking kicks. If one foot is in front of the ball, it is offside.

It is too difficult to score a try from close to the line against a well-organised defence.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Seibold's finals games were a concern. Souths seemed inept against both the dragons and roosters and his use of the interchange was really poor.

Btw Cleary = Marsh bros....so much potential....

And didn't Ricky win with a team that gus put together?

I think if a coach hasn't won anything after 5 years they probably won't ever.

Adolf Hitler

Juniors

Mate you’re a deadset dickhead.
21 posts under possibly the most offensive account name I’ve seen on these forums.

Stick to one of your other shithouse fake accounts.

Absolute merkin of a forum name.
It can only come from an absolute merkin of a person , who would be dumb enough to think that it is funny.

Steady on princess.
I've turned over a new leaf.
I'm now all about social justice, political correctness and the placation of the constantly offended minorities.