What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaches Linked to Raiders

Timbo

Staff member
sydneysharkbrisbane68 said:
This may help guys, Kevin Walters was interviewed up in brisbane, and coaching job was mentioned, not directly Canberra, but it was evident, what they were talking about. Walters is in the mix for the job, should Walters get the job expect him to start immediately, this may mean that you will get Lazarus in some form of assistant role, as they are pretty close.

#-o #-o

sydraider

First Grade
What about Folkes, he is off contract, you never know, he might bring mason with him :lol:

sydraider

First Grade
aussies1st said:
I wonder who the Dogs will pick as coach then.

Noad came out and said that folkes wont be going anywhere, he still hasnt been officially signed as far as I understand.

sydraider

First Grade
Chachi said:
Ed, I haven't read the article nor am I having a go at you but I honestly think this "running gag" is well short of the truth. No doubt we would have to pay most city based players a premium to come here (certainly not double), but there is a great deal of talent running around in country and local competitions who would see a great lifestyle in Canberra. Our success has been traditionally founded on locals, country kids, Queenslanders and Kiwis. I could be wrong, but I can't remember one player from the Raiders ever representing City Origin. I don't think there is one guy on our current roster that is eligible for City Origin selection (although I'm not sure about Ale and Goodwin).

IMO we are targetting the wrong players who are born in Sydney (guys like Lance Thompson, Willie Manu and Willie Mason immediately spring to mind) and player managers just use us to inflate asking prices for their clients. Unfortunately our idiot managers then go PUBLIC with comments like "nobody wants to come to Canberra so we have to offer players $100K extra to just look at the place.". They say these things to save face in front of critical media and fans, but all it does is perpetuate the problem/myth.

Anyhoo that is totally off topic but I wanted to add my 2 cents.

BTW I'm all for C Anderson and Simmons can stay at the Tigers thanks.

This is too true, great post chachi and I was thinking this exact same thing.
If we look back at our great players, they have either been Local juniors, Queenslanders and Kiwi's.
Perhaps recruitment should have a look at going back to this formula, rather than trying to attract players used to the sydney lifestyle.

Chachi

Bench
Just look at the "established" players we've signed recently, Schif, Smith, Lomu, Williams and Frawley. Queenslanders and Kiwis. Reading the article on Frawley and how he now sees Canberra as "home" is encouraging and it makes me feel the prescence of the Broncos doesn't stop us from bringing more players from Brisbane.

The whole farce with Manu and Thompson was absolutely embarrassing. 99% of people born in Sydney are socially conditioned to hate Canberra (as a city) from birth. That's a fact and having Furner, McIntyre etc constantly whingeing about it won't change a damn thing and just continues to make us look like fools.

BTW I heard on the radio this morning that the Raiders are probably going to target a "long term" coach which may rule out Chris Anderson and John Lang.

SOULS 04

Juniors
its official... i have just been given the head coaches position for next year.

im pretty happy about it... and i plan on bringing the club back to the glory days of 2001.

ed bbay

Juniors
i do agree with you chachi i just wanted to bring the article to everyones attention . i love canberra & grew up there , down here on the coast im always putting people in their place when they start winging about a c t . if i had to move from the bay it would be straight back to canberra . i m sure most players would love it there more than sydney because while the spot lights on you its no as bright as in sydney & its not as if its like melbourne where nobody knows who you are . canberra has a social life that is unique & thats why canberrians love it .

sydraider

First Grade
Hey Souls did you get my PM?

If so have you had a chance to watch it?

If if so, what did you think?

SOULS 04

Juniors
yheh mate got the pm... unfortunatley caus im still on dial up i havent been able to dl it caus i cant do it in parts and i get disconnected before it would finish dl.

i need to get getright but i havent been able to find a version thats not virused

sydraider

First Grade
I can give you a copy of it on cd-rom souls if ya having truoble, I only live down the road from you, we can go for a coldie while we at it ;) hehe

Raider Azz

Bench
Bay56 said:
no prob mate ... I'll stick to "reality" ..

the club is looking for the best LONG TERM option ... that may mean a sacrifice to made for a short period

you guys have set your sights to low
no bay, you have set your sights too high. the difference is, if stuart comes, we'll be plesantely suprised. if he doesn't come, we won't care, but you'll feel dissappointed.

Bay56

First Grade
Raider Azz said:
no bay, you have set your sights too high. the difference is, if stuart comes, we'll be plesantely suprised. if he doesn't come, we won't care, but you'll feel dissappointed.

I'll stick by my original statement Azz ... you dont know what I know about this matter ... when you do give me a call

Bay56

First Grade
parra pete said:
Scoop......Neil Henry will be appointed Raiders coach....

you are more on the ball than most others who have made comment on this matter ... but it is not the end of the story

Latest posts