What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching Candidates 2016

Noname36

First Grade
For once I'm really happy with the way the club have handled this. By going out and approaching the likes of Bellamy and Madge, even if we never expected to actually land them since they're under contract, it sends a clear message to the new coach (hopefully Brown) that we're not messing around and expect success.

slotmachine

First Grade
It wasn’t until South Sydney chief executive John Lee angrily phoned his Knights counterpart Matt Gidley earlier this week that the club dropped off, knowing they were potentially breaking the law by trying to entice a coach to get out of his contract.

This is fantastic. If you're pissing off the power Sydney clubs you're doing something right.

Nuffy

Bench
Barry Toohey retweeted a comment suggesting that Brian Macguigan has be reported as saying that Brown is the coach and we are working out some technicalities, whatever the hell that means.

Nuffy

Bench
Mids to address the media at midday according to Barry Toohey about Brown.

Seems an announcement is imminent.

LOL at Griffin trying to save face by telling the media it wasn't a good fit for him. Sorry Hook we are not content with more mediocrity. He was not given another interview and that is the truth.

Frederick

Staff member
Nathan brown was on Sterlo last night talking up Robbie Farah. Reckon we can ready anything into that now that Brown is gonna be here next year?

Burwood

Bench
Terrific news on the appointment of Brown, but once again McGuigan has been shown up to be an amateur when it comes to running the club. Informing media about Brown before the official signing is right up there with his "magic" comments and leaking the sacking of Stone to media before he even had the opportunity to address players. He comes across as a star struck fan sometimes.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Terrific news on the appointment of Brown, but once again McGuigan has been shown up to be an amateur when it comes to running the club. Informing media about Brown before the official signing is right up there with his "magic" comments and leaking the sacking of Stone to media before he even had the opportunity to address players. He comes across as a star struck fan sometimes.

Yeah, I said in an earlier thread that McGuigan is the right man to get the club on financially sound footing and schmoozing the corporates but as soon as we actually start talking about the team/coach/etc. he needs to step aside and usher Quayle to the microphone and button the lip.

On Brown, I think he has served his apprenticeship and this will be his make or brake club, which means he is all in...and I think he has amassed enough experience (good and bad) to know what works and learn from the mistakes of the past.

On that front, he would be the ideal man to mentor Bedsey - and by that I mean explain his experience at the Dragons and give him the wisdom of his experience of being a coach that played with many of the players he was now managing. Whether or not Bedsey stays on I hope will be Brown's call after discussing it between them...at least I think it will be the right outcome for Bedsey regardless of which way it goes.

slotmachine

First Grade
We still managed to Knights up the announcement.

McGuigan: Brown has the job.
Gidley: "Nothing has been finalised yet despite what our chairman may have discussed"
Gidley: "The Newcastle Knights Football Sub-Committee (of which I am a member) has this morning made a recommendation to the Board that Nathan Brown be appointed as head coach."

Classic Knights.

Last edited:

Whats Doing

Bench
I think Brownie will do a terrific job. At his days with the Dragons, he had terrific attacking structures and he himself was a very good attacking hooker.

Will be interested to see what he brings to the table in respect of defensive structures.

Going by what Brown said on Sterlo's Fox show we may well make a play for Farah. He said he is better suited leaving for another club the same day he was supposedly told he had the Knights job.

slotmachine

First Grade
So candidates were told that they had to take on Buderus as an assistant?

Nothing will ever change I guess.

Swarzey

Bench
Ah, can always rely on you Slot to stick to the negatives of every situation.

And just when I thought we were all happy about the coaching direction for the club.

Brownie will be the boss, bedsy will just have to shut up and listen. But tbh I think brownie will have bedsys full support with the direction he wants to go. Bedsy will be devo about the spoon he knows things need to change.