What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters
I must give Webb some credit on 1 thing. Before Ryles he went and sussed out Slater. Watching Origin 1, I think Slater will be a far better coach that Ryles and it looks like they identified that as well so cudos to him. Unfortunately it did not work out.

If Slater wants the job when Bellamy goes, I guarantee the Storm will give it to him as he has been impressive in SOO. This guy will be a great NRL coach. Ryles may be rolling the dice and end up missing Saints and Storm and end up coaching Gold Coast or Tigers. He definitely won't get a look in for future jobs at the Chooks or Saints.

We don’t want him. He’s a cretin.

Ex dragons junior at work is as happy as Larry he’s off the table.

For the reasons we’ve covered here.

getsmarty

Immortal
Webb is not the issue. I really like Ryan Webb. He gets such unfair blame from people like Buzz in the media who don't understand the role of CEO. He reports to the board, but can't make their decisions, only give his opinion. They overrule him. Does buzz honestly think Webb wouldn't have given Ryles control of the football department if it was his choice? Unfortunately Ryan seems to be the only one in the club in a high up position who knows what the issues are.

I’m each way on Ryan, but I respected the honesty of his explanation in this affair.

I would have hoped he would have expressed the clubs concerns about Ryles with more feeling and vigour.

To at least combat the utter rubbish I’m reading about how bad everything is and how the club sucks. All based on the assumption that Ryles is the new Bellamy when he hasn’t coached for 1 second.

It’s a bitter and twisted campaign when things are bad enough as they are …for reasons not wholly the clubs fault. Kick a club when it’s down, I know all about it. Sell a couple of ads about beer and gambling.

Do they want Webb to neck himself?

Courage Dragons courage.

This club is not for sale.

It’s your club, you run it, not the f**king media, not the rip off agents and not their dodgy cronies.

Dragon control of dragon affairs, whatever the cost may be.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Webb is definitely not the issue. He has put forward several candidates to which the Board flatly rejected, including 1 which I believe is the most outstanding candidate.

Board = Favouritism, Nepotism and stubbornness. Any risk to their control or power will be swifly rebuked.

So now we have to go back 'tail between the legs' and re-approach those we have most probably told already they were unsuccessful in our desire to only sign Ryles.

Any player manager worth their salt, will be now sharpening pencils and adding value to their client, just because we are now in the desperate mode.

In saying that, I feel we only now have 2 choices, and that's either Young or Flanagan.

Go back to what I said about Board = and our new coach is right there.

56to66

Juniors
Webb is definitely not the issue. He has put forward several candidates to which the Board flatly rejected, including 1 which I believe is the most outstanding candidate.

Board = Favouritism, Nepotism and stubbornness. Any risk to their control or power will be swifly rebuked.

So now we have to go back 'tail between the legs' and re-approach those we have most probably told already they were unsuccessful in our desire to only sign Ryles.

Any player manager worth their salt, will be now sharpening pencils and adding value to their client, just because we are now in the desperate mode.

In saying that, I feel we only now have 2 choices, and that's either Young or Flanagan.

Hopefully Doust will backflip on his view towards Flanagan. Flanagan saved Cronulla.

A Big fat No to Young even though I feel, the BOD will make excuses to have him coach.

Nathan Brown is another who could step in ATM to steady the Ship.

A big Fat NO to any rookie, Thank You Jason!

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
Why has Hornby dropped out of discussions? Does he have a contract with Souths for next year and beyond.
My choice is Flanno. Hell we extended DeBelin and even made him captain. I know he was largely not found guilty rather case dismissed but evidence and comments reported made for very unsavoury listening. If the Club is accepting of DeBelin they should be accepting of Flannigan.

Des, Richo and Browny would soon have Buzz and co on their knees.

Morris did Ok with the shark muppets he inherited and pound for pound, even Potter might have claims for a couple of years.

I suppose Baz might be hitting the clubs socials hard.

Hannay should make the final rounds.

I’m neutral on Flanno. Neither for or against, a cop-out, I know. He didn’t seem to do much baby sitting Mary, but he got the sharks to a premiership.

Anyway open slather, line ‘em up, get it done.

Last edited:

dungay dragon

Juniors

Slayer
Im fairly certain that THOSE genuinely Interested in the job would've rang or had their manager ring the Club moments after the Ryles back flip..
Thinking this wont drag on with an announcement even as early as next week , but they will get a signature first before any announcement.....
My preference would be
Coach Flanno with Carr Assist ,
Browny Recruit
Brian Smith GM...dont think Richo is avail as he is putting all his energies into the Firehawks
Rohan Smith { very impressive and has runs on the board } would be my Smokey if Flanno unavail
we need to get this done asap and start planning for next year .......

justadragon

Bench
Look I have to admit I have been as guilty as anyone in ripping the piss out of Dean Young and so forth, but I have to be honest as a player I loved the man, he did bleed red and white, he played through all the pain just to play, yes he was a legend and his old man. Does that entitle you to a dream passage as the head coach, no it does not, we all saw what a disaster Craig was as a coach and things have changed ten fold since then. So here we are with possibly Dean appointed as HC, is it his fault if he accepts, no way it is. Its what the club is prepared to accept, we accepted Hook because he wasn't McGregor, we accepted McGregor because he wasnt Price and Price got shafted because he followed Bennett, that was always going to end bad. In all cases its what the club / board accepted, its what due diligence or lack of they did. But was it anyones fault that they took the job on, certainly not. So when Mr Young is about to sign on the line, you dont think he has been keeping an eye on the state of play, his reputation will still be on the line, he will face the media if the Dragons remain on the path they are on, will he be able to attract players of any note, all these questions and he has to have the answers. But ultimately I wont be bad mouthing him if he takes it on, good luck and well done. It still wont stop me from questioning his skills and credentials as a HC, and we sure do need a lot of both to fix the Dragons.

twinkletoes

Juniors
The solution is very easy...appoint Hasler, as he is not working he could start immediately and do what Ryles was going to do for the rest of this season, including reviews and recruiting some new guys. He would have some connections/ ideas as to who he would want to run the football department.

Such an easy solution and one that can be implemented immediately..would give everyone a bit of hope and allow recruitment to start immediately.

If they appoint someone already under contract at another club, we'll be waiting till the end of the season before anything concrete can happen....and waste another 6 months.