What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Yow

Juniors
Look I have to admit I have been as guilty as anyone in ripping the piss out of Dean Young and so forth, but I have to be honest as a player I loved the man, he did bleed red and white, he played through all the pain just to play, yes he was a legend and his old man. Does that entitle you to a dream passage as the head coach, no it does not, we all saw what a disaster Craig was as a coach and things have changed ten fold since then. So here we are with possibly Dean appointed as HC, is it his fault if he accepts, no way it is. Its what the club is prepared to accept, we accepted Hook because he wasn't McGregor, we accepted McGregor because he wasnt Price and Price got shafted because he followed Bennett, that was always going to end bad. In all cases its what the club / board accepted, its what due diligence or lack of they did. But was it anyones fault that they took the job on, certainly not. So when Mr Young is about to sign on the line, you dont think he has been keeping an eye on the state of play, his reputation will still be on the line, he will face the media if the Dragons remain on the path they are on, will he be able to attract players of any note, all these questions and he has to have the answers. But ultimately I wont be bad mouthing him if he takes it on, good luck and well done. It still wont stop me from questioning his skills and credentials as a HC, and we sure do need a lot of both to fix the Dragons.
Good onya Justa well written,

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
Look I have to admit I have been as guilty as anyone in ripping the piss out of Dean Young and so forth, but I have to be honest as a player I loved the man, he did bleed red and white, he played through all the pain just to play, yes he was a legend and his old man. Does that entitle you to a dream passage as the head coach, no it does not, we all saw what a disaster Craig was as a coach and things have changed ten fold since then. So here we are with possibly Dean appointed as HC, is it his fault if he accepts, no way it is. Its what the club is prepared to accept, we accepted Hook because he wasn't McGregor, we accepted McGregor because he wasnt Price and Price got shafted because he followed Bennett, that was always going to end bad. In all cases its what the club / board accepted, its what due diligence or lack of they did. But was it anyones fault that they took the job on, certainly not. So when Mr Young is about to sign on the line, you dont think he has been keeping an eye on the state of play, his reputation will still be on the line, he will face the media if the Dragons remain on the path they are on, will he be able to attract players of any note, all these questions and he has to have the answers. But ultimately I wont be bad mouthing him if he takes it on, good luck and well done. It still wont stop me from questioning his skills and credentials as a HC, and we sure do need a lot of both to fix the Dragons.
I don't want Young or Hornby not because of their coaching credentials but because they deserve to be remembered as club legends.

Who remembers McGregor as anything other than the peanut - yet he was a fantastic player and a club captain.

It would take a miracle for either Young or Hornby to turn this sh*tshow around and while it's possible, it's arguably more likely they end up like Mc85. So I'd rather remember them holding the trophy in 2010 than tarnishing their respective legacies by trying to polish this board-induced turd.

dannyt

Coach
Nice sentiments. The problem is that many will be unable to differentiate between Dean the player and Dean the useless coach, assuming of course that he does become the abject failure everyone expects (and all markers appear to indicate), and provided, of course, that he gets the gig.

We don't have to look too far to find an example of the inability of fans (me included) to differentiate between the former player and current useless coach:
1685690534864.png

56to66

Juniors
Maradona was one of the Greatest soccer players of all time, in my top 3 of all time, as a coach laughable.
The Cowboys are going crap now, no thanks, keep Deano there.
Josh Hannay or John Morris would be a 1000 miles ahead of Young

Last edited:
I don’t want Dean as coach as I think you need someone with more notches, but I agree that he was a very good player.

He was one of those rare “strike forwards” because of his kicking game in general play and awareness.

He had a nice burst of speed off the mark.

These days we see lumbering backs like Latrell being used like forwards, but it’s always a rare thrill to see a forward playing like a back.

Maybe Kiks is the closest thing to Deano when he’s on.

So I hold Dean in the high regard. He was unique and had an impact. A lot of forwards still play very traditionally and sometimes that’s what they are asked to do.

But coach is a different role.

I thought Lindsay threw a great pass during origin. I love that kind of enigmatic play from forwards.

Last edited:

draco

Juniors
So apparently, as per news reports, if it is now (only) down to a decision between John Morris, Ben Hornby and Dean Young, then that also would be my order of preference/choice.

Well, not that my opinion matters at all and not that I think anything will improve our shitty situation if the Board refuses to make all the other required changes that have been discussed and chewed over on here Ad nauseum.

After all, a new coach is only part of the situation/solution, isn't it.

Hey, I got my 20 year Red V membership badge this year. Cheers for that. And only after many times threatening to quit during the Mary reign and hopeless Hook tenure.

Fair dinkum.

If you are reading this Mr Webb, know that I will always be a Red V fan but I NEED my Club to announce some positive news for a brighter future, or I will be despatching this year's Red V membership ROLLING RENEWAL email directly to the BIN.

And, well, not that it really matters much, does it??

I’ve got Morris as a dark horse, his win % not great at all, but he put some sting back into that team of muppets when he wasn’t entitled to.

His mum can write the reference I guess.

She sorted out the entire sharks board so Webby should be a push over.

I thought she was good value tbh. Not letting her boy get shat on by the sharks. I’d do the same.

matPORTS

Juniors
Mentioned this in a couple of other threads...

I can't sit idly by and watch this incompetent and out of depth board and front office set Young or Hornby up for failure.

What foundations are being put in place, so that if a rookie coach is ultimately given the job, to ensure that they are successful in the role?

Almost 12 seasons of continually bagging the coach (justifiably). I am exhausted, and I'm sure the rest of us are as well.

We want real solutions and measures to be put in place, to bring this club into the 21st Century.

Ryles and his management have done us all a massive favour by identifying all of the problems (which also includes the ridiculous $800k per season offer for a rookie coach). Common Doust - you've shown us before that you're capable of landing a big fish and relinquishing control and part of your massive ego!!

Dragon David

First Grade
Thanks Dave, and as GS and others have mentioned I really want to remember them as they were in 2010.
That's ok justa, except you mean Yow! But as many have said justa, great input and well said.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
My God watching the dragons doing their business is like watching Days of Our Lives. After the drama of shortlisting a new coach, we fall back into not wanting to allocate the right authority to align with the responsibility of the head coach. So the board retains control of the football operations over the head coach, through having the GM of football over the head coach.

So Ryles rightly tells us that won't work and I not happy to align myself with this mess.

I don't know whether Ryles will be a successful coach or not, and he was not my first or second choice, but he at least knew what is required to make the football department successful. We have tried this structure since Bennett left in 2011 and it has not worked.

Give the head coach full responsibility and all the tools to succeed or don't bother. Want's that old saying "too many cooks spoil the broth".

Dragon David

First Grade
I wonder what old Hook must be thinking? I think he would be having stomach cramps just belly laughing at the comedy show this club has put on in the last few days.

To me the club in the last 12 years has been a joke. Just go over the pages of the Forum for the past decade or more to see how nothing has changed and we meander along as a complete rabble. The faces have changed but the stories remain the same.

Now, our future is in the balance. Have the Board members got enough coins to toss to see who should be the one and will they do it the best out of 50 tosses to make sure? They have to make sure that who they sign will be the one who can deliver what we have been wanting over the past decade or so. Their first preference is not available now. Will the second, third or fourth preferences say no? If so, we will end up with a nothing coach again is what I fear.

Gareth67

First Grade
The Dragon board is merely reheating left-overs of the Irish stew . Tasted great whilst Bennett was the cook , but since then it has become muck that I wouldn’t feed to my dog .

At this moment they wish to appoint someone - anyone to the head coaching role . They have failed to be professional and knowledgeable in their dealings with the applicants , hence the reason why so many have been calling the Dragon board a basket case .

Good luck to the eventual winner as he will need it , not only in his dealings with the hierarchy , but also in his attempts to bring some self esteem to the playing ranks .

Last edited: