What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters
A poem.

Dessie is the coach for me
He’s tough and pushy too
Breaks doors off hinges during games
A premiership or two.

Begone the old boy matey mate
Carpark deals of wonder
Once you see how old boy recruits
It’s bound to make you chunder

4 years, club option for the fifth
$950 seems ok
Des won’t lead you on then Storm it
And leave you with Dean Pay.

All Board members should accept that Flanagan has paid the price for his peptide mistake and sign him. He'd know how to get the best out of our hot/cold juniors and what players to promote internally and to bring externally. I read he can be abrasive perhaps that is what put off the BOD in the first place. Now they are biting the bullet as they realize they need someone like him. Wonder if Des too will come back into the frame.

BelloDragon

Juniors
Occasional reader here, enjoy the forum and please bear with me.

There are good precedents for what it will take for STGI to succeed in the NRL. Like an independent chair, preferably with a casting vote given the 50/50 JV, widely respected and experienced in the NRL. A genuinely seasoned CEO. A proven GM of football in the Ponissi, Gould, Richardson mould. A seriously well-connected and respected head of recruitment/ pathways. An experienced, ideally premiership-winning coach. 1st rate assistant support, locked in for a period but at a level just about capable of being a HC elsewhere. And stable leadership of a talented nucleus of the playing group, locked into familiar roles (ref. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...of-sport-evolution-familiarity-breeds-success). I'd like to hear more from the Dragons about their ideal. It's not just about the coach.

Most senior roles aside, my 'dream' team (assuming availability, so it's just a wish list, but to give a flavour) is Richardson, Brown, Flanno, assistants Hornby or Morris (to improve Hornby or Morris’ future HC odds) and one of Soward, Carr or Hannay (again, it’s a long way to HC at the sharks and it will be competitive), and a stable nucleus of Hunt (7), JDB (13), Ramsay (rehab permitting, 1) and Sullivan (6), with a game plan suited to them.

There are good precedents for what it will take for STGI to succeed in the NRL. Like an independent chair, preferably with a casting vote given the 50/50 JV, widely respected and experienced in the NRL. A genuinely seasoned CEO. A proven GM of football in the Ponissi, Gould, Richardson mould. A seriously well-connected and respected head of recruitment/ pathways. An experienced, ideally premiership-winning coach. 1st rate assistant support, locked in for a period but at a level just about capable of being a HC elsewhere. And stable leadership of a talented nucleus of the playing group, locked into familiar roles (ref. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...of-sport-evolution-familiarity-breeds-success). I'd like to hear more from the Dragons about their ideal. It's not just about the coach.

Most senior roles aside, my 'dream' team (assuming availability, so it's just a wish list, but to give a flavour) is Richardson, Brown, Flanno, assistants Hornby or Morris (to improve Hornby or Morris’ future HC odds) and one of Soward, Carr or Hannay (again, it’s a long way to HC at the sharks and it will be competitive), and a stable nucleus of Hunt (7), JDB (13), Ramsay (rehab permitting, 1) and Sullivan (6), with a game plan suited to them.

Welcome to Dragons LU.

We can tell you’re new because you’re making too much sense! The boys here will soon knock that out of you!

Hang about and support your mighty club here.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors

Welcome to the madhouse mate! Great post.

Dragon David

First Grade

Always great to have another member on the Forum Bello. Welcome and thanks for your insightful comments. I like your "dream" team. It would be fantastic if it turns into reality.

Look forward to your further posts.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I’ve taken some time to process the Ryles debacle & in my opinion it has to be Flanno. He has some experience with us & has a proven track record. I don’t think Carr, Young or Hornby are ready yet. There’s no indication that Hasler has any interest & I don’t think McGuire’s tough approach suits the modern game.

justadragon

Bench
I’ve taken some time to process the Ryles debacle & in my opinion it has to be Flanno. He has some experience with us & has a proven track record. I don’t think Carr, Young or Hornby are ready yet. There’s no indication that Hasler has any interest & I don’t think McGuire’s tough approach suits the modern game.
Yep its very strange that no one has said boo about Hasler and one would think that he is the best available. Now when they approached Slater he immediately went public and said thanks but no thanks, we heard nothing from Hasler, not even the unhinging of a door !!! There is something going on I reckon.

Illusion

Bench
We must sign Flanno. Not only an experienced coach but I believe he can give us the help we need to build our club back to a top 8 club in a few years .Our lower grades are as weak as shit. and need re building fast. Come on Dragons it is Flanno for me.
As long as he has full control , and all the Muppets stay out of it , it's a yes from me .......