What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cody Ramsey

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
They are all starting to move closer to the top 17 the likes of young Ramsey

Lomax, Saab, Ford, Kerr and Rava will in my opinion get a fair bit of time in FG this year

Thats 5 of our top 17 players who havent played much FG but will now feature

As for Ramsay I think he is seriously exciting but he Fegai twins and Sullivan will ply their trade in lower grades just now and let see half way thru the season

m-dragons1997

Juniors
They are all starting to move closer to the top 17 the likes of young Ramsey

Lomax, Saab, Ford, Kerr and Rava will in my opinion get a fair bit of time in FG this year

Thats 5 of our top 17 players who havent played much FG but will now feature

As for Ramsay I think he is seriously exciting but he Fegai twins and Sullivan will ply their trade in lower grades just now and let see half way thru the season
Can Ramsey play first grade or do we have to bring him up?

possm

Coach
We should be spending time to develop Ramsey, Saab and Sailor.

In a backline full of slugs, these guys are our only hope to having some sort of strike in our backline.

Sailor still has plenty of work to do with defence, but has all the tools to be fullback.

Saab needs to work on his finishing and his pace off the mark. Takes too much time to get going, needs more explosiveness. He has the body, the coaches just need to work with him.

Ramsay can be anything, but still very young. We should be aiming to give him a wing spot in NRL some stage during the year.
So what do they do in the off-season? Don't they notice the observations you mention? Maybe it is a bit early and he will show the results of his sprint training at seasons start.

giboz71

First Grade
So what do they do in the off-season? Don't they notice the observations you mention? Maybe it is a bit early and he will show the results of his sprint training at seasons start.

Well based on recent history, I don’t have a lot of faith in our coaches.

But with Flanno and Shepherd, maybe we can improve here.

Very few youngsters are walk up first graders. Ponga is the only recent exception. Most like Saab, Sailor and Ramsey need some coaching and guidance to succeed, despite their skills.

Sadly we have been horrible in this area during Mary’s reign.

BLM01

First Grade
We should be spending time to develop Ramsey, Saab and Sailor.

In a backline full of slugs, these guys are our only hope to having some sort of strike in our backline.

Sailor still has plenty of work to do with defence, but has all the tools to be fullback.

Saab needs to work on his finishing and his pace off the mark. Takes too much time to get going, needs more explosiveness. He has the body, the coaches just need to work with him.

Ramsay can be anything, but still very young. We should be aiming to give him a wing spot in NRL some stage during the year.
Come on. Saab had an injury recovery interrupted off season
Its only a 9's tournament. Why the hell is everybody judging and relating all this to the 13 man NRL game.
Mary making a GF..enough said
Sailor will be starting in reggies anyway and a lot harder to defend ianyway n a 9's game when your stuffed
Ramsay will need to do some time in reggies 1st anyway but as per Dufty and Field his attacking game gives us high hopes and hopefully he does make the transition sooner than later

giboz71

First Grade
Come on. Saab had an injury recovery interrupted off season
Its only a 9's tournament. Why the hell is everybody judging and relating all this to the 13 man NRL game.
Mary making a GF..enough said
Sailor will be starting in reggies anyway and a lot harder to defend ianyway n a 9's game when your stuffed
Ramsay will need to do some time in reggies 1st anyway but as per Dufty and Field his attacking game gives us high hopes and hopefully he does make the transition sooner than later

Ummm... because a wingers job in 9’s and 13 a side is basically the same.

Which is an ability to finish. That was the difference in the finals. The Cows had a winger with pace who could finish and we didn’t.

BLM01

First Grade

Which is an ability to finish. That was the difference in the finals. The Cows had a winger with pace who could finish and we didn’t.
Righto.... Saab did OK in NRL in his brief 1 or 2 appearances and is underdone ATM but lets judge him on the 9's missed opportunities. See how the winger goes for the Cowboys at NRL 13 v 13 game..if he even starts.

giboz71

First Grade
Righto.... Saab did OK in NRL in his brief 1 or 2 appearances and is underdone ATM but lets judge him on the 9's missed opportunities. See how the winger goes for the Cowboys at NRL 13 v 13 game..if he even starts.

I’m not having a go at Saab, but he’s far from the finished product, that applies to 9’s or 13’s.

He has potential but he needs work.

If you think he’s just fine the way he is you’re kidding yourself.

BLM01

First Grade
I’m not having a go at Saab, but he’s far from the finished product, that applies to 9’s or 13’s.

He has potential but he needs work.

If you think he’s just fine the way he is you’re kidding yourself.
Did I say he is just fine and had nothiong to work on..No. You said the word Fine not me.
But simply I am not passing judgement where he and others are at in their development from a Wonderland 9's tournament in mid Feb either. You are not alone BTW.

giboz71

First Grade
Did I say he is just fine and had nothiong to work on..No. You said the word Fine not me.
But simply I am not passing judgement where he and others are at in their development from a Wonderland 9's tournament in mid Feb either. You are not alone BTW.

I’m not basing it solely on the 9’s.

The issues I raised came out in his NRL appearances as well. The tries were nice and all but even his appearances last year shows he needs work.

BLM01

First Grade
I’m not basing it solely on the 9’s.

The issues I raised came out in his NRL appearances as well. The tries were nice and all but even his appearances last year shows he needs work.

Thanks..I had to chuckle especially when he has only just begun his career and made his NRL debut in a team that was dangling at rock bottom.
Ok...I agree I am sure he needs to work on his game and is not a finished product but....never mind...
lets see what NRL 2020 brings

Dragonslayer

First Grade
From what I know, Ramsay is on a JF contract.
After the euphoria surrounding his 9's tournament, the fact remains he's got a lot of filling out to do and gaining some body strength. I dont think his body could currently handle the 80mins of NRL, he barely got through the 18mins of the 9's.

Indeed he needs to be upgraded to a DS contract asap, as the wolves will be at the door, whuch in turn would mean one of the current DS players being promoted to the top 30. My guess that would be Clune as I dont see the likes of Sullivan, the Feagai twins or SSE being seasoned enough.

Crush

Coach

So why not chuck Ramsey on the wing round 1? He showed us he can finish a try in the 9s?

possm

Coach
Well based on recent history, I don’t have a lot of faith in our coaches.

But with Flanno and Shepherd, maybe we can improve here.

Very few youngsters are walk up first graders. Ponga is the only recent exception. Most like Saab, Sailor and Ramsey need some coaching and guidance to succeed, despite their skills.

Sadly we have been horrible in this area during Mary’s reign.
From what I've see of Ravalawa in the 9s, I believe he has not improved on his 2019 form. I now feel he needs a long stint in reserve grade before getting a spot in first grade.

The loss of Reece Robson was a stupid decision by SGI. Surely in the second half of the season SGI could have switched McInnes to lock and Robson to 9 in order to keep him.

possm

Coach
So why not chuck Ramsey on the wing round 1? He showed us he can finish a try in the 9s?
Our wingers - Ramsey and Saab is the way to go. Now let's look at our centre pairing, that's our main problem.

Crush

Coach
Our wingers - Ramsey and Saab is the way to go. Now let's look at our centre pairing, that's our main problem.
Lafai is the main problem. Aitken played quite well besides getting stood up once by that beast Kikau.
Lafai isn't and never has been a first grade footballer.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints showed they have depth in the backs in the Nines with the youngsters. Only issue is Lafai gets picked ahead of them. Rava also is a loose cannon. Makes some really dumb decisions like when he kicked for himself with the game on the line in the centre of the field which he had no chance of getting to. Ramsey, Sailor, Aitken, Williame, Saab all good backs options.Rava ahead of Lafai. Lafai is a waste of a selection. Nighty was better than him and he retired.

possm

Coach
Saints showed they have depth in the backs in the Nines with the youngsters. Only issue is Lafai gets picked ahead of them. Rava also is a loose cannon. Makes some really dumb decisions like when he kicked for himself with the game on the line in the centre of the field which he had no chance of getting to. Ramsey, Sailor, Aitken, Williame, Saab all good backs options.Rava ahead of Lafai. Lafai is a waste of a selection. Nighty was better than him and he retired.
I'd like to see the back of both Aitken and Lafai and if Ravalawa does not show huge improvement, he should go too.

giboz71

First Grade

Given our first choice wing options are Ravalawa and Periera, I’d being getting him a wing spot sooner rather than later.

Maybe not Round 1, but some stage during the year.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Lafai is the main problem. Aitken played quite well besides getting stood up once by that beast Kikau.
Lafai isn't and never has been a first grade footballer.
Think you maybe being a bit harsh on Lafai. He was a very good centre while he was with at the Bulldogs but he came to us with a busted leg and he has played on one and a half legs ever since. And playing him still not halfway fit at the end of last season was stupid. He is no longer a first grade centre but he is not responsible for picking himself week after week. Aitken has always possessed the physical ability to be a good first grader but he appears not to have any positional or defensive sense. He simply doesn’t learn......neither does Mary.