What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cody Ramsey

qld redvee

Juniors
He isn't a right winger he just played there because Rava got dropped, he was playing fullback up until he made his debut on the wing. I reckon he's the sort of player that could play both sides with ease. In saying that, while watching the highlights he does have a nice left arm fend.
FCD,
100% correct Cody has played Fullback in juniours and lower grades AND would prefer to play fullback as that is his preferred position. I would say Hook and co have taken a nice easy option signing cody now just in case Duff does leave the club or just doesnt improve like we hope he does .If Cody has worked his arse off at training then obviously he has impresssed and I would rather him sign now than have another team throw big money at him and its another juniour we lose
Hooks continuing to build for the future so lets hope Cody has a great year for us

draco

Juniors
NRL 2021: Dragons winger Cody Ramsey opens up on his life away from rugby league after new deal

Cody Ramsey could be set for a shock positional switch after inking a bumper new deal with the Dragons — find out more about the Molong Marvel.

James Phelps and Nick Walshaw

Cody Ramsey could become a shock long-term replacement for Corey Norman at No. 6 after the rookie winger signed a $1 million Dragon’s deal.

News Corp Australia can reveal Ramsey has been identified as a future five-eighth and it was utility value that helped seal a two-year extension that includes a $150,000 a year upgrade to his existing deal

Already contracted to the club until the end of next year, Ramsey on Friday committed to the club until the end of 2024 on a deal that will average out to be worth an estimated $250,000 a season.

Named to start on the wing in Saturday’s trial against the Sharks but expected to also play fullback, Ramsey was on a minimum wage deal before the new contract was announced.

He would have earned just $150,000 over the next two years.

Ramsey refused to go to the open market and recommitted to the Dragons without testing his worth.

“I’m stoked to remain a Dragon for the next few years. I’ve had a great journey getting to this point in my career and it means a whole lot to my whole family that I’ve managed to secure my future in the Red V,” Ramsey said.

“I still have a lot more improvement and learning in me. That’s something that has been drilled into me by all my coaches which I can appreciate. I can’t wait to develop further and better myself over the coming years.”

Dragons general manager of football Ben Haran said Ramsey was rewarded for his loyalty.

“Cody showed a great desire to remain a Dragon, which is very important for a proud organisation such as St George Illawarra,” Haran said.

“We identified a number of years ago that Cody had great potential and we’re starting to see him deliver on that now in the top squad.

“To see a quality player and person like Cody come through our junior representative pathway is another pleasing aspect to his retention.

“Cody’s ability to play in numerous positions will hold him in good stead over the upcoming season and beyond.”

Ramsey could end up becoming the club’s long term replacement for Norman with the former Queensland star facing an uncertain future.

MEET THE MOLONG MARVEL, NRL’S NEWEST CULT FIGURE

Cody Ramsey hails from the place of many rocks.

Or says a road sign welcoming visitors to his little bush town of Molong — population 1674 — where this rising St George Illawarra rookie, every few weeks, disappears to fish, hunt pigs, even pour schooners at the Freemasons Hotel, run by mum Kim and stepdad Dave.

Whenever time allows it, you can find Ramsey here.

Continually called back to this village which, 30km north of Orange, and built on a limestone outcrop, derives its unique, if slightly uninspiring name from the local Wiradjuri people.

And you can Google it,” Ramsey says of the bizarre handle.

“That’s really what Molong means, the place of many rocks.

“We even have a couple of big ones right in the centre of town.”

Which isn’t exactly the Big Banana, right?

Nor Golden Guitar or Dog on the Tuckerbox.

But that’s OK.

Especially when the greatest pic opportunity in Molong could soon be, with apologies to the clump of stones sat downtown, this sometimes pub barman who doubles as the son of a pigeon racer and grandson of a gravedigger.

An unabashed country boy who, still only 21, boasts a scraggly mop of hair he refuses to cut, a Speedy Gonzales thigh tattoo, and the type of athletic ability which — despite falling more than once from his tinnie while fishing off Port Hacking — has seen him score an NRL debut double, net $56,000 for mates at the TAB window, and now head into Saturday’s Charity Shield as a genuine Next Big Thing.

Which is timely.

Not only for Dragons fans — who could certainly use something to cheer — but also those of us who continually wish on that next incarnation of Ewan McGrady, Bubba Kennedy, even the Cleal boys.

Which is why you should know that whenever he gets consecutive days off, Ramsey heads west for a pub which, built in the 1850s, and offering five BBQ chicken packs for that next badge draw winner, mum Kim runs while also raising daughters Alize and Jameson — named, wonderfully, after the liqueur and Irish whiskey, respectively.

Know too that older brother Jesse, up north in Cairns, is living exactly as you’d expect a fella who, when approached in his teens by Penrith scouts, who spoke excitedly about an NRL trial, said, sorry, but he was headed piggin’.

An answer little brother not only understands, but respects.

After all, this is the cult NRL prospect whose left foot is tattooed with the words ‘I’m Tired’. On the right, ‘Me Too’.

“Same as my grandfather,” the Dragons winger says.

Huh?

“My pop Jim has the same tattoos on his feet,” he says, going again. “They’re dodgy home jobs, but I’ve been looking down at them my whole life.

“I always thought ‘who does that?’.

“But they were just so funny … that’s why I went and got ’em too.”

And as for Speedy Gonzalez?

“Apparently when I was really little, coming down to visit my pop and uncle in Heathcote, I used to run around the house saying Speedy Gonzalez … or Tweety Gonzalez,” he laughs.

“Only thing I said for a year.

“So I got it put on.

“My family, they’ve helped me so much.

“Like my pop, hilarious. He lives at Heathcote, works in a cemetery and has also bred pigeons.

“My dad (Jamie) does the same.

“He’s got trophies, goes to shows in Abu Dhabi, even runs his own business — JR Pigeon Supplies — selling seed, feeders, stuff like that.”

Ramsey, however, prefers hunting pigs.

Or when a spare afternoon presents, disappearing to fish alone in his tinnie all 15 horsepower motor.

“Although I did take a couple of the boys out once,” he says, referencing two housemates. “But a pair of props at the front of a tinnie, the bow right down … I’m going full pelt and it’s doing nothing but burn fuel.

“That’s why usually I go out by myself.”

All of which sounds like a kid living his dream.

But only because you weren’t there 18 months ago when every day was a chaotic 16-hour swirl of working as a mechanical plumber, representing Dragons U/20s and trying to survive his first year of life “having never really been anywhere bigger than Heathcote”.

Eventually hit so bad by anxiety and stress, Ramsey consulted counsellors while self-medicating on constant caffeine.

“I was just so wrecked,” he recalls.

“I was having coffee through the day at work and then, before training, a Red Bull plus a No Doze tablet.”

What you had to do?

“Probably not, but it’s what I did,” he shrugs. ”When you’re facing adversity, you just try to get through.

“And I had a lot of anxiety.

“Trying to manage work, footy, living expenses, plus travelling from Sydney to Wollongong every day, it really affected me.

“Thankfully, I lived with pop and my aunty for a while which helped.

“But still, I was phoning my parents every day on that drive from the city to training, speaking with the same tone in my voice.

“That’s why, eventually, they got me to see some people.”

Importantly, Ramsey leaned not only on counsellors, or family, but also St George legend Mark Coyne, whose own family he became close to while playing also with Gymea.

Better, the Molong Marvel survived — and has since thrived.

Not only starring at the 2020 NRL Nines, or scoring a debut double against Canberra in Round 18 — which included, with his first touch, netting $56K for all those mates who backed him as first tryscorer — but even creating headlines for mum, who was interviewed by Fox Sports in the grandstand at halftime.

“And she’s rung me a dozen times since saying there’s someone else come into the pub who has recognised her,” he laughs. “She loves it.”

Yet what of her admission, during that same interview, suggesting patrons were streaming said debut on iPhones given the Freemasons has no pay TV?

“I’d like to think that changes this year,” he grins. “Although they’ll probably just hook everything to a laptop, then run a HDMI cable to the TV.”

But what more apt way to view the Molong Marvel?

This fella who hunts pigs, refuses to cut his hair and hails from the place of many rocks.

A likely Dragons cult figure who, after re-signing with the Red V for a further three years on Friday, already knows exactly where all future contract bonuses will go.

“Bigger boat,” he grins.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/59c4740c3a1809d3220742873a4383de

jak

Bench
NRL 2021: Dragons winger Cody Ramsey opens up on his life away from rugby league after new deal

Cody Ramsey could be set for a shock positional switch after inking a bumper new deal with the Dragons — find out more about the Molong Marvel.

Cody Ramsey could become a shock long-term replacement for Corey Norman at No. 6 after the rookie winger signed a $1 million Dragon’s deal.

News Corp Australia can reveal Ramsey has been identified as a future five-eighth and it was utility value that helped seal a two-year extension that includes a $150,000 a year upgrade to his existing deal

Already contracted to the club until the end of next year, Ramsey on Friday committed to the club until the end of 2024 on a deal that will average out to be worth an estimated $250,000 a season.

Named to start on the wing in Saturday’s trial against the Sharks but expected to also play fullback, Ramsey was on a minimum wage deal before the new contract was announced.

Ramsey refused to go to the open market and recommitted to the Dragons without testing his worth.

“I’m stoked to remain a Dragon for the next few years. I’ve had a great journey getting to this point in my career and it means a whole lot to my whole family that I’ve managed to secure my future in the Red V,” Ramsey said.

“I still have a lot more improvement and learning in me. That’s something that has been drilled into me by all my coaches which I can appreciate. I can’t wait to develop further and better myself over the coming years.”

Dragons general manager of football Ben Haran said Ramsey was rewarded for his loyalty.

“Cody showed a great desire to remain a Dragon, which is very important for a proud organisation such as St George Illawarra,” Haran said.

“We identified a number of years ago that Cody had great potential and we’re starting to see him deliver on that now in the top squad.

“To see a quality player and person like Cody come through our junior representative pathway is another pleasing aspect to his retention.

“Cody’s ability to play in numerous positions will hold him in good stead over the upcoming season and beyond.”

Ramsey could end up becoming the club’s long term replacement for Norman with the former Queensland star facing an uncertain future.

Or says a road sign welcoming visitors to his little bush town of Molong — population 1674 — where this rising St George Illawarra rookie, every few weeks, disappears to fish, hunt pigs, even pour schooners at the Freemasons Hotel, run by mum Kim and stepdad Dave.

Continually called back to this village which, 30km north of Orange, and built on a limestone outcrop, derives its unique, if slightly uninspiring name from the local Wiradjuri people.

But that’s OK.

Especially when the greatest pic opportunity in Molong could soon be, with apologies to the clump of stones sat downtown, this sometimes pub barman who doubles as the son of a pigeon racer and grandson of a gravedigger.

An unabashed country boy who, still only 21, boasts a scraggly mop of hair he refuses to cut, a Speedy Gonzales thigh tattoo, and the type of athletic ability which — despite falling more than once from his tinnie while fishing off Port Hacking — has seen him score an NRL debut double, net $56,000 for mates at the TAB window, and now head into Saturday’s Charity Shield as a genuine Next Big Thing.

Which is timely.

Not only for Dragons fans — who could certainly use something to cheer — but also those of us who continually wish on that next incarnation of Ewan McGrady, Bubba Kennedy, even the Cleal boys.

Which is why you should know that whenever he gets consecutive days off, Ramsey heads west for a pub which, built in the 1850s, and offering five BBQ chicken packs for that next badge draw winner, mum Kim runs while also raising daughters Alize and Jameson — named, wonderfully, after the liqueur and Irish whiskey, respectively.

Know too that older brother Jesse, up north in Cairns, is living exactly as you’d expect a fella who, when approached in his teens by Penrith scouts, who spoke excitedly about an NRL trial, said, sorry, but he was headed piggin’.

After all, this is the cult NRL prospect whose left foot is tattooed with the words ‘I’m Tired’. On the right, ‘Me Too’.

Huh?

“My pop Jim has the same tattoos on his feet,” he says, going again. “They’re dodgy home jobs, but I’ve been looking down at them my whole life.

“Apparently when I was really little, coming down to visit my pop and uncle in Heathcote, I used to run around the house saying Speedy Gonzalez … or Tweety Gonzalez,” he laughs.

“So I got it put on.

“Like my pop, hilarious. He lives at Heathcote, works in a cemetery and has also bred pigeons.

“He’s got trophies, goes to shows in Abu Dhabi, even runs his own business — JR Pigeon Supplies — selling seed, feeders, stuff like that.”

Or when a spare afternoon presents, disappearing to fish alone in his tinnie all 15 horsepower motor.

“Although I did take a couple of the boys out once,” he says, referencing two housemates. “But a pair of props at the front of a tinnie, the bow right down … I’m going full pelt and it’s doing nothing but burn fuel.

But only because you weren’t there 18 months ago when every day was a chaotic 16-hour swirl of working as a mechanical plumber, representing Dragons U/20s and trying to survive his first year of life “having never really been anywhere bigger than Heathcote”.

Eventually hit so bad by anxiety and stress, Ramsey consulted counsellors while self-medicating on constant caffeine.

“I was having coffee through the day at work and then, before training, a Red Bull plus a No Doze tablet.”

What you had to do?

“Probably not, but it’s what I did,” he shrugs. ”When you’re facing adversity, you just try to get through.

“Trying to manage work, footy, living expenses, plus travelling from Sydney to Wollongong every day, it really affected me.

“But still, I was phoning my parents every day on that drive from the city to training, speaking with the same tone in my voice.

Importantly, Ramsey leaned not only on counsellors, or family, but also St George legend Mark Coyne, whose own family he became close to while playing also with Gymea.

Not only starring at the 2020 NRL Nines, or scoring a debut double against Canberra in Round 18 — which included, with his first touch, netting $56K for all those mates who backed him as first tryscorer — but even creating headlines for mum, who was interviewed by Fox Sports in the grandstand at halftime.

“And she’s rung me a dozen times since saying there’s someone else come into the pub who has recognised her,” he laughs. “She loves it.”

Yet what of her admission, during that same interview, suggesting patrons were streaming said debut on iPhones given the Freemasons has no pay TV?

“I’d like to think that changes this year,” he grins. “Although they’ll probably just hook everything to a laptop, then run a HDMI cable to the TV.”

This fella who hunts pigs, refuses to cut his hair and hails from the place of many rocks.

A likely Dragons cult figure who, after re-signing with the Red V for a further three years on Friday, already knows exactly where all future contract bonuses will go.

“Bigger boat,” he grins.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/59c4740c3a1809d3220742873a4383de
thanks for posting mate, great read.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

But that’s OK.

Which is timely.

Huh?

“So I got it put on.

What you had to do?

“Bigger boat,” he grins.

Im not going to lie, I have a lot of man love for this bloke.

possm

Coach
I'd say we have enough depth in the halves In Sullivan, Clune and Amon. So no need tor Ramsey to replace Norman.

We need a fullback to back up Dufty as Sloan and Schiller are not ready to play first grade as yet.

I will watching closely tonight to see how both Dufty and Ramsey perform at fullback.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I'd say we have enough depth in the halves In Sullivan, Clune and Amon. We need a fullback to back up Dufty. Soan and Schiller are not ready to play first grade as yet.
If anything it would be more likely Dufty would go to 6 and Ramsey to 1. I know a lot of people bag the idea but without question if the move were to happen tomorrow Dufty would be able slide into the halves without issue but Cody is years away from being a 5/8. Dufty has a bit of bulk on Ramsey plus already has the passing game and even a bit of a kicking game. There are plenty of running 5/8s that barely even kick the ball anyway like Greg Bird, Jack Bird etc. All this being said I think what will actually happen is Sullivan will replace Norman at 6 next year and then once Hunt retires Amone will probably move into the 6 shifting Sullivan to 7.

Dragon David

First Grade
I find that a bit concerning about the stress these young blokes are under to succeed. Having to work and train with the need for Energy Drinks and No Doze that to me says something in amiss.
Did I read that correctly?
This is where the management of the club has to ensure that all players from juniors to first grade are asked the question regularly - "Are you OK?" and provide assistance where needed and follow up in all cases of emotional or any other problems they are going through because like you and I, they are human even though they are playing the greatest sport.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I find that a bit concerning about the stress these young blokes are under to succeed. Having to work and train with the need for Energy Drinks and No Doze that to me says something in amiss.
Did I read that correctly?
He will be fine now that he’s full time. It’s hard combining work and training. I did the same while I was going to uni. Worked 7 nights a week while studying full time. Sometimes I’d just drive from work sleep in the car for 3/4 hours and then go study. Mine all amounted to nothing in the end but hopefully Cody’s doesn’t. I’m very happy that he gets to begin his career under a competent coach.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Good to see them upgrading this kids contract to keep him at the club longer. I think Ramsey, Lomax, Sullivan, Amone and the Feagai Twins will be the future of this side and become regulars in the Saints line up for many years to come like Hornby, Coops, Nighty, Gaz and BMoz. Dufty has a big year to prove himself but I think Ramsey will be the future fullback. I hope Dufty does have a good year as it would be good to include him as part of the team for the future. It is not his fault he came in to first grade at a time when Mary was coach.

Saints just need the right coach to ensure this talent is not wasted and I hope Hook and co are the ones to get the best out of them.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Good to see them upgrading this kids contract to keep him at the club longer. I think Ramsey, Lomax, Sullivan, Amone and the Feagai Twins will be the future of this side and become regulars in the Saints line up for many years to come like Hornby, Coops, Nighty, Gaz and BMoz. Dufty has a big year to prove himself but I think Ramsey will be the future fullback. I hope Dufty does have a good year as it would be good to include him as part of the team for the future. It is not his fault he came in to first grade at a time when Mary was coach.

Saints just need the right coach to ensure this talent is not wasted and I hope Hook and co are the ones to get the best out of them.
That is one reason I was hoping Bird would play backrow or lock. I don't want him costing us the Feagai boys or Amone. That and they are both positions we are lacking.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
That is one reason I was hoping Bird would play backrow or lock. I don't want him costing us the Feagai boys or Amone. That and they are both positions we are lacking.
I do agree with you but if Bird keeps them out this season that will only be because he is injury free and that can only be good for the Saints. I would also prefer him to play as a lock but if he is killing it in the centers I would not move him. He is a gun on his day and one of the best in the NRL.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I do agree with you but if Bird keeps them out this season that will only be because he is injury free and that can only be good for the Saints. I would also prefer him to play as a lock but if he is killing it in the centers I would not move him. He is a gun on his day and one of the best in the NRL.
Agreed

thebigredv

First Grade
Keeping in mind he has a long career ahead of him I want to give a quick synopsis...

He burst onto the scene in the Nines then many months later made a name for himself quickly for showing some dash and being the only Dragons player that looked like he cared about playing first grade. Immediate cult hero status from a thirsty supporter base.

Now he is a regular he has looked fairly average. I'm a fan but that is a fair assessment of his season 2021. That's on him. We've got 18 and 19 year olds killing at other clubs.

Injury has afforded him a chance at his preferred position, excitement builds and...should have scored against the Sharks but was run down and well, if he isn't going to put in a decent showing against the Tigers then the unwanted Dufty slides straight back in. Now you have half the Dragons contingent calling him a fullback and half the Dragons fans are calling him a winger. As I said a few weeks back, I'd have a Feagai in for him at the moment as he needs to bulk up and go find himself.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
I'll admit I'm an unabashed Dufty fan but I thought Ramsey went alright tonight. It was a solid if unspectacular performance and I'm inclined to give him a bit of slack.

One thing that did strike me though is his passing looked very awkward at times. Perhaps he would be better off on the wing for a little while longer.

VodkaSaint

Juniors
who the hell gave the ok to lock him up for 4 years, We have the Fegai twins , sloane , Amone etc coming Through , what the hell is going on, what rubble we are at planning