What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coffs Harbour sex scandal revisited - Stateline NSW

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Michaelson said:
I have no idea whether the bulldogs players raped anyone, but neither does anyone else except them and the girls involved. It is just as silly to be wholly confident that they didn't do it because they weren't charged (rape cases being notoriously difficult to prosecute), as it is to say with any confidence that they did it.

When the evidence and implication from the authorities is that they are innocent, how is it silly to be wholly confident? It's far more convincing to hear it from someone like the police than some random on an internet forum with an agenda against the club.

Nathan B

Juniors
Michaelson said:
Not to interfere in your pissing comp or anything, but your hypothetical fat and hairy sentence has a completely different structure to the one being discussed. "Innocence" and "truth" are not adjectives.

Saying something is "must watch viewing for anyone seeking innocence and truth in the matter" clearly indicates a preconceived notion that the Bulldogs players were innocent. People on this forum overwhelmingly want to believe in the innocence of the Bulldogs players.

I have no idea whether the bulldogs players raped anyone, but neither does anyone else except them and the girls involved. It is just as silly to be wholly confident that they didn't do it because they weren't charged (rape cases being notoriously difficult to prosecute), as it is to say with any confidence that they did it.

I was just thinking the same thing while doing the vacuuming. It's clear that MattO thinks that, in this case, the innocence of the players and truth are the same thing. So it's wrong to say he favours one over the other. It's like saying someone is 'big and tall' or the movie was 'scary and frightening'. They're just using two words instead of one.

I still think my point on sentence order stands, though. But let's forget about it.

As for the Bulldogs...the fact that they didn't get charged is hardly the be all or end all as to why people are confident they didn't do anything illegal. The facts are starting to come out and I defy anyone without any ridiculous bias to conclude (yeah, sure, not with 100% assurance - but can you truly do that with anything) any different.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Very interesting. Ex Det Sgt McEvoy appears to be very trustworthy and is writing a book on the whole debacle. Meanwhile it appears Senior Police wanted to believe there was a sexual assault which McEvoy refutes and it would appear he paid the price.

Uncle Ken gets a mention and used the usual excuse the matter is subject of a internal inquiry so he cannot comment. How long does it take to do a internal review on matters that occurred tow years ago?

Timmah

Staff member
griff said:
Most of what happened is public knowledge. It is in Roy Master's new book as well.

I don't want them to be guilty, it would be much better for the game if the whole situation didn't happen at all. They are innocent in the sense of not having raped someone, but their behaviour then and during the scandal wasn't very good.

The media's behaviour was most abhorrent.

Most of what happened isn't public knowledge. Hearsay and multiple accounts detailing different things are floating around. Given the implication of innocence, the general public shouldn't have a right to know what has happened.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Going by McEvoy's account there was no evidence of anything other a woman having consensual sex with one player while two others were in the near vicinity. No evidence of rape. No offence. Far more sinister is the allegation senior police appear to have wanted to pursue the matter and at the end of the day blamed McEvoy and his team claiming their investigation was flawed.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
The real criminal appears to be someone leaking confidential information to certain sections of the media and giving distorted versions of the events.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
If I were Noad I would be calling on Carl Scully to direct Uncle Ken to expedite his 'internal review' for all to see. There are some serious allegations that need airing. Blokes like McEvoy have always been the sacrificial lambs when it comes to the nsw police.

ibeme

First Grade
griff said:
I think that the public will start to recognise they didn't actually commit any crimes, but gang banging a girl by the pool is not seen to be "innocent" behaviour by many people out there even when it was consensual.

There was no gang bang by the pool. Two people had sex. Others were there to see it, but did not participate. One of the players had had sex with the same girl a few hours earlier.

I just watched the Stateline. When the girl made her complaint, the police asked Gary Hughes to find out which players were in the pool area and to send them to the police station. A couple of hours after, four players presented themselves to the police station, where they were interviewed. Their story was locked in, four hours after the complaint was made. All evidence, and independant witness statements supported those initial statements.

The girl's own friend's statement supported the players, on two counts, leaving virtually no time for such an attack to occur by six players in broad daylight.

The girl denied that she was in the pool area when the players reported her being there. Independant witnesses said that she was, and she was not in a distressed state at all. All which was consistent with the players initial statements.

Her own friend said the girl spoke to her after she'd left the pool (despite denying that it was her at the pool), and asked her to get her shoes from the pool. Her friend went to look for her shoes and it was shortly after when the girl was found in a distressed state.

These are the facts of the investigation, spoken by the detective himself. The transcript will back it up. Anyone who harbours any doubt as to their innocence after reading these simply do not want to believe that they're innocent.

griff

Bench
Timmah said:
The media's behaviour was most abhorrent.

Most of what happened isn't public knowledge. Hearsay and multiple accounts detailing different things are floating around. Given the implication of innocence, the general public shouldn't have a right to know what has happened.

That's pretty naive. The Bulldogs players are public figures and while public may not have a right to know but the public still wants to know about things like this and the media serves that interest and fuels that interest.

We can't hush up and control the media so nothing ever gets reported until someone is convicted.

Given this, they should have not got into the situation where there was this scandal in the first place. When there was a scandal, rather than becoming all combative and insular, they should have dealt with it better.

Nathan B

Juniors
ibeme said:
Anyone who harbours any doubt as to their innocence after reading these simply do not want to believe that they're innocent.

Truer words have never been spoken. :clap:

griff

Bench
ibeme said:
There was no gang bang by the pool. Two people had sex. Others were there to see it, but did not participate. One of the players had had sex with the same girl a few hours earlier.

I just watched the Stateline. When the girl made her complaint, the police asked Gary Hughes to find out which players were in the pool area and to send them to the police station. A couple of hours after, four players presented themselves to the police station, where they were interviewed. Their story was locked in, four hours after the complaint was made. All evidence, and independant witness statements supported those initial statements.

The girl's own friend's statement supported the players, on two counts, leaving virtually no time for such an attack to occur by six players in broad daylight.

The girl denied that she was in the pool area when the players reported her being there. Independant witnesses said that she was, and she was not in a distressed state at all. All which was consistent with the players initial statements.

Her own friend said the girl spoke to her after she'd left the pool (despite denying that it was her at the pool), and asked her to get her shoes from the pool. Her friend went to look for her shoes and it was shortly after when the girl was found in a distressed state.

These are the facts of the investigation, spoken by the detective himself. The transcript will back it up. Anyone who harbours any doubt as to their innocence after reading these simply do not want to believe that they're innocent.

Yeah, I don't think there was any rape at all. But she did have group sex with them a couple of nights earlier and had had sex with a couple of them that night in public.

I mean, they used her for sex and then told her to bugger off - that's fine, she was up for it. Then she made a vexaxtious complaint to get back at them for telling her to go away. It's not criminal, but it still isn't great behaviour. If they had acted a bit better, it wouldn't have happened.

innsaneink

Referee
McEvoys book should be interesting....it seems theres evidence as to who called 2GB from Coffs harbour cop shop in May this year...

gunnamatta bay

Referee
griff said:
Yeah, I don't think there was any rape at all. But she did have group sex with them a couple of nights earlier and had had sex with a couple of them that night in public.

I mean, they used her for sex and then told her to bugger off - that's fine, she was up for it. Then she made a vexaxtious complaint to get back at them for telling her to go away. It's not criminal, but it still isn't great behaviour. If they had acted a bit better, it wouldn't have happened.

The senior investigator says there was no group sex. She had consensual sex with two seperate players at two different locations.

Where do you get the information she was told to 'bugger off' ?

gunnamatta bay

Referee
innsaneink said:
McEvoys book should be interesting....it seems theres evidence as to who called 2GB from Coffs harbour cop shop in May this year...

Yes. But is seems Uncle Kens 'internal investigators' can't come to any conclusion after two years. Amazing. Or are they just wishing it will all go away?

Timmah

Staff member
I have little doubt heads will begin to roll now. Where that will start I don't know. Do any of you think Gallop is in the firing line?

griff

Bench
gunnamatta bay said:
The senior investigator says there was no group sex. She had consensual sex with two seperate players at two different locations.
And sex with 4 of them a couple of nights earlier.

It is just an inference based on knowing football players and knowing people that make vexatious rape claims. Are there any other more likely reasons why she would suddenly cry rape?

Timmah

Staff member
gunnamatta bay said:

At my best guess 'griff' is talking out of his ass. He hasn't yet used a source.