What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

commentry: Fox vs CH9

Prince Charles

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
That joker Braybrook is the worst. I totally question the depth of his Rugby League knowledge. And his style of calling belongs in WWE, not the NRL.

Do you mean Braybrook or Andy Raymond? Raymond is the screamer of the two. Worst caller on TV IMO.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Prince Charles said:
Do you mean Braybrook or Andy Raymond? Raymond is the screamer of the two. Worst caller on TV IMO.

Now you mention it, I'm not sure. Those two along with that bloke from NZ Sky Sports blend together as some pot pourri of diabolical commentary...

Prince Charles

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
Now you mention it, I'm not sure. Those two along with that bloke from NZ Sky Sports blend together as some pot pourri of diabolical commentary...

Ha ha - yeah that is true.

A side note on Andy Raymond - his old man was the bloke who used to do the voice over for the Parramatta Speedway ads. "Parramatta Speedway - the speedway by the freeway... BE THERE!!!"

That might explain why his voice can irritate!

donkey|rope

Juniors
overall I prefer fox

ray warren, for all his shortcomings, is far and away still the only bloke that can convey any kind of intensity and drama to a call. at this point rabbs isn’t so much a commentator as much as he is the soundtrack to rugby league.

my favourite commentators are sterlo, greg alexander, warren smith and vossy. however it must be said none of these guys really make you want to listen to them like ray does. and as annoying and prejudiced as guys like gus, matty, lozza etc. are, they can be entertaining and i think they could actually be a beneficial to the telecast if they were used in small doses, but as is they are way too prominent.

i didn’t mind gaz the other night as much as some. i think everyone and their dog knew that he’d be king crimson, but could you really expect anything else from a player commentating a match involving his own team? i did get the impression he hadn’t seen the raiders since the last time he played against them; at the start he was essentially saying the raiders would play one out and up the middle (what is a matt elliot special) which is far from the case this season.

Brycey

Juniors
CH9 hands down.

Sterlo great tactician who doesn't say much but says enough, shows great insight into the game.

Vossy great caller who brings excitmenet and a lighter side to the commentary.

Rabs is the voice of RL, even if he bumbles out crap who cares...he has the voice.

Gus a good insight the game from a coaches perspective, just dont let him call a Roosters match and you're fine.

The fox commentators all seem 1 dimensional and very predictable, and Laurie Daley is just plain annoying.

Also the picture quality itself with CH9 games is so so much better than Fox, has anyone else noticed this, anyone know as to why?

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Fox by a mile, only because Ben Ikin is an absolute disgrace in commentary. Queenslanders always complain about Gould but if this bloke isn't the biggest dill brained, biased commentator going round then I'm not here.

2gb radio ...

vossy? andrew voss is worse than gus gould and ben ikin's illegitimate love child ... ben ikin should be sack 4 and a half seconds after gould and 13 seconds before andrew voss . AND NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER MARK GEYER AGAIN, the f**king penrith yobbo equivalent of ben ikin, also whoever those queenslanders are who call the brisbane games, they suck ... warren smith is bland, i like pearce and alexander, or that fat guy on fox, i forget his name, he hosts NRL TEAMS on foxsports news channel, other wise give me blocker and andrew moore any day, not much of a horse head hadley fan but he's better than all of channel 9 except sterlo, i'd rather hear rabbits call game 1 alone and sterlo call game 2 alone on friday nights

Big Pete

Referee
Channel 9 IMO. Smith and Daley just annoy me because instead of calling a game most times it feels like their trying to find negative points about it (the ref)...they can be decent if it's a good contest but if it's crap then they'll keep pointing it out. The sad thing is, they're probably the best commentators on Fox Sports.

Channel 9, Ray is the voice of Rugby League, even if he comes up with some stupid calls and barely knows some of the younger players, he's a great caller who brings drama and passion. Sterlo makes up for Rays short comings and brings in mostly good insight. Gould will come up with some bonehead calls but he'll also come up with some good ones too.

Ikin, Matty, Joey and Wendall I can't stand but aww well. Vossy is alright but I prefer him more on the sideline rather than calling the games.