What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comments on the NZ game

Glenn

First Grade
jayman said:
widders looked in a bit of trouble late.. and jeremy smith came off as well.. i thought that it had something to do with his finger injury...

The report of no injuries came via phone call from my brother who is in NZ, hopefully he was right.
Thanks for the congrats Ian, by all accounts the Warriors threw everything including the kitchen sink at Parramatta in the second half, well done to the Warriors for not giving in.

Parra Guru

Coach
IanRitchie said:
Congrats guys. Wish we hadn't given you those free eight points at the start.

Thanks mate, yeah your start was pretty unfortunate. We gave you too many chances to get back in, but your team looked a bit too impatient.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
WC on the commentary, there was a guy with a croaky voice... f**k that drove me :crazy:

Piggy, NEVER to GOAL KICK AGAIN.

BRING BACK BURT!!!

Utey

Coach
We continually put pressure on ourselves, invited them back into the game many times. But we hung on!!! Gutsy imo.

parra pete

Referee
From Daily Telegraph...

A first-half burst ensured Parramatta kept their finals hopes alive as they held off the New Zealand Warriors to win 20-12 in Auckland tonight.

The Eels' early scoring spree at Mt Smart Stadium gave them a 12-point buffer at halftime and they defended desperately in the second half to prevail.

Pacey young winger Jarryd Hayne grabbed two tries as the Eels extended their NRL winning streak to four.

The loss all but killed off the Warriors slim chances of making the playoffs.

Going into the game with the late withdrawal through injury of play-making fullback Brent Webb, the Warriors and a large partisan crowd were stunned by three early Parramatta tries,

Winger Manu Vatuvei lost the ball in a tackle and it popped straight into the path of Hayne, who ran on the inside of Warriors halfback Grant Rovelli to score.

Hayne had a second stroke of luck when Warriors centre Simon Mannering attempted to pass in a tackle only to see the ball bob up, again into the arms of the 18-year-old, who outran stand-in fullback Patrick Ah Van to the line.

After Eels second rower Nathan Hindmarsh pirouetted his way over the line 15 minutes in, Parramatta were up 14-0.

The Warriors got back into the contest after they were awarded a penalty in midfield.

The ensuing set saw a charging Steve Price spin in a tackle at close range and score under the cross bar after an offload by hooker Nathan Fien.

The Warriors dominated possession for the remainder of the half but couldn't score again and the Eels pulled away when a penalty put them in scoring range and centre Luke O'Dwyer broke through a hole to make it 18-6 at the break.

Repeat sets finally paid off for the home side in the second half thanks to Mannering bullying his way forward through three tacklers to set up a Rovelli touchdown.

Two more Warriors attempts to erase the six-point margin went begging.

At the other end Eels hooker Mark Riddell hit the upright on a penalty goal kick and missed a field goal attempt, his third and fourth misses of the night.

But Riddell took his time on another penalty kick as the clock wound down and split the posts to finish off the Warriors.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Very gutsy win, our defence definately won the game considering the possession the Warriors had in the 2nd half.

The Warriors are an inform side, taking the dogs to the wire last week and winning their last 4 games previous to that.

Our silly errors crept back in, plus some of Hampsteads calls gave them a chance and heaps of possession. But our goal defence was rock solid

We would have lost this game easily 8 weeks ago.

HayneHindi

Juniors
Good win to the boys. Unfortunately our kicking was off tonight or we would had a easier win. Luke Burt may have to come in next week for his kicking or even John Williams I heard he can kick goals. I don't like watching games televised from New Zealand as I reckon they are biased.

Jarrod Hayne what more can I say then he is a scoring wizard. Keep this record up and he could be up there at the end of the season for most tries and that is after giving everyone else a head start in that department.

theicemandanno

Juniors
Some observations:

I thought Riddell played well tonight. His first 20 minutes were excellent.

Our kicking game coming out of our half was very poor.

Ben Smith was excellent in defence. The Warriors were consistently driving Mannering towards J.Smith and O'Dwyer and I thought they both did a good job.

One thing that pissed me off was the number of times Hampstead called 'Surrender' against us but never seemed to do it for the Warriors who were doing the exact same things.

Our Goal-line defence won us that game. Morrison may have made only 29 tackles, but 25 of those were one on one ball-and-alls. Chad Robinson also had a good defensive game.

Widders played one of his better games of the year.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Gee, I must know even less about the sport than I thought...

* The Warriors are HARDLY nuffies - they showed so last week in a very good performance against the Dogs (they just lost it in extra time);

* Morris, while not having his best match, was defensively solid;

* Pig, while taking some dumb options, was making plenty of metres when we needed them;

* As someone else said, the Warriors have a physically massive team - tackling guys like Vuna, Mannering and Wiki all night long will take a toll on any team;

* Steve Price is simply amazing - because of his pressure, he made our kicking look worse than it was.

But, guess what? We hung on to win, when earlier in the season we would have lost for sure.

Now, onto the Tigers.

varion

Juniors
Doesnt matter how we win guys, so long as we win!!

Much rather take a win then a pretty loss!!

i would let jarryd hayne take over the kicking ok he had one shocker (compared to 4 from riddell) but after some practice he will do better

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Strides summed it all up pretty well

haven't seen a Guru brain explosion for a while, he just reminding us that he can stil have them

very tough defence from our guys for the first half, the difference ended up being Jarrod Hayne

I'll bet JT will be reassessing his goal kicking options or at least putting them all through a lot of kicking practise

Parra Guru

Coach
Guru and Benny looked a bit unsure of themselves with their hands last night. They just need some time to gel. Thank god he's back.

As for the commentary, I don't find it that bad, but then again, I watch NZ commentate in the Rugby Union (S14) and that is the most biased commentary you will ever hear (apart from Ben Ikin).

eel power

Juniors
I listened to the game on 2GB. Good 1st half especially with those early tries Jarryd Hayne scored he is awesome. The 2nd half was a worry I was getting frustrated cause I couldn't see the game. I was worried the boys were going to throw the game away but thank goodness they hung in there and won with what the Warriors were throwing at them.
What's Riddell doing why is his kicking so bad. Bring back Luke Burt.