What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comments on the NZ game

yy_cheng

Coach
JOB 3:14 said:
Everyone was great in defence. If we had that defence and staying power at the start of the season we would be up with the storm.
Better late than never....sloppy second half in attack, but hey we got the two points. That's what matters right?

JOB, did you see the Doggies defence against the Drags.

I really wished Parra had THAT TYPE of defence. I really respect the Dragon's pack but they got SMASHED. Bailey included.

They had a really good rotation of O'Meley, Mason and Asotasi going.

For us, we really only have Fuifui that can play like that but he's toned down his defence.

I know Hindy does alot but does anyone find him trying to change angles during a hitup and then losing momentum. Even though he keeps on going and carries a few players on his back, I reckon he should get red of that swerve before hitting the line.

yy_cheng

Coach
I wholeheartedly agree. He's got his basics down pat now as well as his improved fitness.

Great job !!

Now he has to move on. I like what Petero Cin..... does, he rolls up, hit and spins and offloads to support play.

Fuifui is bound to be ganged up on from now on and he has to add more to his game. Not that I am complaining about his game now. I'm loving it!!!

sooperdooper

First Grade
ben smith - no metres made, lacks match fitness and alertness

it was a grinding win...

goalkicking was awful... delaney needs to be back for that... with o dwyer a utility sub

MrT

Juniors
yy_cheng said:
JOB, did you see the Doggies defence against the Drags.

I really wished Parra had THAT TYPE of defence. I really respect the Dragon's pack but they got SMASHED. Bailey included.

They had a really good rotation of O'Meley, Mason and Asotasi going.

For us, we really only have Fuifui that can play like that but he's toned down his defence.

I know Hindy does alot but does anyone find him trying to change angles during a hitup and then losing momentum. Even though he keeps on going and carries a few players on his back, I reckon he should get red of that swerve before hitting the line.

Don't worry YY next season we'll have a great rotation of Fui, Cordoba, Vella, Cannings, Wood, Taia, Lewis..........are you getting worried yet?

yy_cheng

Coach
Not if we have a bye. ;-)

But to be honest, if Cannings, Cordoba, Taia, Tsolous get some Mongrel in them, throw them in with Fuifui and we could one day have a strong pack. Then you would have Wags, Hindy, Chad, Caylo doing the hard work with the others with a mission to pound the opposition.

James_Hardie

Juniors
Bigfella said:
O'Dwyer was brilliant in defense. A far better player than Delaney at this stage.

We struggled where we have struggled all year: front row and halves.

Their props are Wiki and Price. Only Moi Moi matched their toughness and yardage, and even then he couldn't match their endurance. While Cayless has improved he is so far behind this level of prop it isn;t funny. And he is our second best prop at this stage. When you consider the Bulldogs had Mason Asotasi and O'Meey on Friday we are a long way off the pace in this area.

And Jeremy Smith as he has in every game offers two to three plays per match and otherwise disappears. The closer the match the more he goes missing. May as well throw Green in I think. Especially as JS cost us a try in defence any way.

A great committed effort but when people in the media say we are playing a better brand of footy they are so wrong it isn't funny. Without Tim Smith we have about twenty points less in us. And let's fact the fact that of our four tries two were set up by intercepts and the other two by players who won't be here next year.

And when we could have clinched it the people making the big brain explosions were the senior players ... a huge dose of luck involved.

I agree with all of that. I did think Cayless went pretty well, although we are clearly behind the Bulldogs in that department.

Our ability to score points is also a concern. We have scored more than 28 points twice this year. 30 against the Bunnies was the most mundaine 30 points i have ever seen, and the 46 we scored against the Knights was great, but it was a one off, and for forty minutes at least involved a halfback who won't be there for the remainder of the year.

In 2001 we had 15 players score 5 tries or more, this year after 17 games we have Jarred Hayne and Glen Morrison! I know the game has changed slightly, but not that much!

number8

Juniors
James_Hardie said:
In 2001 we had 15 players score 5 tries or more, this year after 17 games we have Jarred Hayne and Glen Morrison! I know the game has changed slightly, but not that much!

It's a bit harsh to compare our sides to that 2001 team. They set new records in most facets of the game & will be long remember by many to be the best ever team not to win the comp.

The difference hasn't anything to do with how much the game has changed. It's just that the 2001 team were freaks. It'll be a long while & many premierships later before another matches some of their feats. They won all bar the big one.

If you're wanting to make comparisons look to 2002 ~ 2004 Eels teams. The margins will close significantly!

number8

Juniors
James_Hardie said:
I agree with all of that. I did think Cayless went pretty well, although we are clearly behind the Bulldogs in that department.

The so called experts put every forward pack in the comp behind the Dogs at the present time. A fairer comparison could be made again. No shame in not being 1st & I really don't think we're last in that dept.

It's true that we are not well rated in that area, at this point. Our forwads are hardly cream puffs though, & Tigers won the thing last year with a pack far softer than most & dare I say ours now. In my opinion!

number8

Juniors
James_Hardie said:
Our ability to score points is also a concern. We have scored more than 28 points twice this year. 30 against the Bunnies was the most mundaine 30 points i have ever seen, and the 46 we scored against the Knights was great, but it was a one off, and for forty minutes at least involved a halfback who won't be there for the remainder of the year.

I completely agree. It is, & fear will remain so unless a new halves combination isn't both decided upon & settled to develop right now. Jeremy is not the answer if Morris is the partner they have in mind & vice versa!

That & making 4 into 6 are big areas that need immediate attention!