What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complaint of racial abuse in Roosters v Broncos

If Leniu called Mam a Chimp would he be suspended?

Humans and Chimps share the same common ancestor and Human DNA is 98.8 percent the same as their Chimp Primate Cousin.

RedVee

First Grade
I know I’m old fashioned but I do not think the Bronco’s did Mam any favours making a statement that he was in tears in the dressing shed. Was that needed? Except to try and bump up any sentence on Leniu.

The other thing that I’m bemused by is the brown on brown vs white on brown thing. I’m surprised that they made such a big thing since it came from a Polynesian player. I’ve seen / heard a lot of comments that it is only racist from a white person.
I think our society is really confused in this area - see the political class rushing to defend Sam because it isn’t racist to abuse a white person even using “white” in the comment.

Maybe these cases will help us work out what’s what.

FTR “monkey” is a terrible slur on a black/brown person. It denotes that they are sub human, and has been used for centuries against them by “white people”. So in my view it is worthy of punishment.

I know I’m old fashioned but I do not think the Bronco’s did Mam any favours making a statement that he was in tears in the dressing shed. Was that needed? Except to try and bump up any sentence on Leniu.

The other thing that I’m bemused by is the brown on brown vs white on brown thing. I’m surprised that they made such a big thing since it came from a Polynesian player. I’ve seen / heard a lot of comments that it is only racist from a white person.
I think how society is really confused in this area - see the political class rushing to defend Sam because it isn’t racist to abuse a white person even using “white” in the comment.

Maybe these cases will help us work out what’s what.

FTR “monkey” is a terrible slur on a black/brown person. It denotes that they are sub human, and has been used for centuries against them by “white people”. So in my view it is worthy of punishment.
Monkeys come in different colours though - Brown , Red and Gold for instance

1710135765202.png

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
No he wouldn't. You can't go down this route IMO. Either it's offensive or it's not. The judiciary is not there to determine differences in levels of offence by individuals.

It's a can of worms.

I guess the NRL counsel disagrees:

7.33pm: Gyles countered: “The submission that a racial remark came from someone with dark skin makes it less significant, is wrong.

"In the Montoya case the player who the comment was made to, there was no suggestion that he was homosexual or was offended by the comment.”

Last edited by a moderator:

nick87

Coach
I had it pegged between 8-12 weeks. So it's on the light side of an acceptable punishment for me.
Happy enough with that and hopefully Spencer has learnt a thing or two and can grow from this

Latest posts