What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complaint of racial abuse in Roosters v Broncos

Reflector

Bench
Exactamundo - Mundine is Mundine, he was a terrific athlete, but Iā€™ve not come across many people who donā€™t think heā€™s also a monumental bell end, at least from his public persona (Iā€™m led to believe away from the public eye, heā€™s actually a good fella who gives plenty back to society). He loves the limelight, and does anything to keep himself in it, but on this occasion, heā€™s bang on the money!
An old mates' dad was a cabbie for many years, he had Mundine as a passenger one night and had nothing but good words to say about The Man. I met him once at a club on the GC, only chatted to him briefly but he was polite enough and was happy stopping for photos with patrons.

So on a subjective and first degree level I have only positive feedback, even if I generally think he's a wanker.

Reflector

Bench
Tough GIF

Valheru

Coach
Yeah calling a straight dude a f*****t is no comparison, if he said it to an openly gay player he'd get 10-12 weeks probably.

Spencer knew what he was doing. Scum.
No he wouldn't. You can't go down this route IMO. Either it's offensive or it's not. The judiciary is not there to determine differences in levels of offence by individuals.

It's a can of worms.

Canard

Immortal
I was at the game. MCG that night
I think it was 40 nil halftime
The Melbourne Storm crowd was chanting singing clapping song's about Mundine
All in a very negative way
At the end of the match. I went for a walk around the back of the grand stand car park area .
Still inside the MCG. I saw Chris Anderson Storm coach. 2 other storm officials in suits and Bill Harrigan the referee. All get into the same car and drive out. Something you don't expect to see
I was very surprised
MCG???

Chimp

Bench
An old mates' dad was a cabbie for many years, he had Mundine as a passenger one night and had nothing but good words to say about The Man. I met him once at a club on the GC, only chatted to him briefly but he was polite enough and was happy stopping for photos with patrons.

So on a subjective and first degree level I have only positive feedback, even if I generally think he's a wanker.
And this is the type of thing I often hear about Mundine - people whoā€™ve met him, know him away from the field have nothing but good things to say about him. People who only ever see his public persona/headline grabs think heā€™s a cock.

Danish

Referee
No he wouldn't. You can't go down this route IMO. Either it's offensive or it's not. The judiciary is not there to determine differences in levels of offence by individuals.

It's a can of worms.

Yeah I canā€™t imagine the outrage would be any less if a player tried to sledge a white opponent by saying ā€œget up alboā€ (but, you know, without the Lā€¦)

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Garbage take. Mam gave him every opportunity to apologise after the game, or at the hotel, or before he let the media zoo play out and definitive evidence was presented.

Spencer is fake as hell and I wouldn't bother listening to a contrived apology either. The chat GPT apology only came because the footage was so easy to lipread, otherwise, I'm sure he would claim no guilt.
I understand what you are saying , but perception is the king and Mam had a real opportunity to show some integrity and be strong for his people. But then again perception could be wrong and he could be viewing it as being strong by standing fast.

What ever it is the whole thing is a bad look for RL

Fangs

Coach
What has that got to do with the 99 Grand Final?

And on a completely separate note, what dispensary do you recommend?

BB is referring to the 60 point thrashing the Dragons received the year after in 2000 at the MCG:

Nathan Brown has PTSD from this game.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Harrigan didn't make the decision on awarding the penalty try. It was Chris Ward, the video referee, who awarded the penalty try.
Refer to post #696 for context.

But in response to your comment, bearing in mind I've putt 99 behind me, the penalty try was fair enough but the callss permitting storms first 2 tries were typical cheating, attention seeking shit from that goat f**king POS.

skeepe

Immortal
This whole ā€œsomeone said something derogatory to Spencer first but heā€™s no snitchā€ stuff smells like the Roosters trying to muddy the waters.

If someone said something, say what it was. Otherwise itā€™s just desperation from a scummy club trying to both provide mitigation for their player and start rehabilitating his reputation.

The Roosters have handled this exceptionally poorly.