What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings - 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foz

Bench
No link but D.Kemp(Brisbane)to the Warriors(I think thats what I got told).
Leaving Brisbane anyway.
Couldnt see it mentioned(sorry if it is).

*Sorry just read it in the Brisbane thread(back on 29/5/08).
At least the mail was right-even if it was late.

Last edited:

Patorick

Staff member
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23886873-23214,00.html

WILLIAM Hopoate still has another year to run at Cromer High School - but already he earns more than his teachers.
Hopoate has created NRL history after finally signing a $300,000 deal with the same Manly club where his famous father starred.

The staggering contract, over three years, is the largest ever offered to a schoolboy and ends a furious bidding war that had six clubs scrapping for the boom full-back's signature.

"And," manager Tyran Smith says, "it's nothing compared to what this boy will eventually earn."

Still only 15, Hopoate boasts the build of Storm superstar Israel Folau and has represented Australian Schoolboys since 2007.

The kid with the famous surname is also tipped to be included in the Sea Eagles' 2009 NRL squad - despite HSC studies preventing him from training full-time.

"I've always supported Manly because of dad so now to be playing at the club, yeah it's all good," Hoppa Jr said.

"But dad also wants me to stay at school and graduate next year. He wants me to make sure I have something to fall back on in case I never make it in league."

Now pursuing a heavyweight boxing career, Hopoate Sr is constantly stressing the importance of discipline and sacrifice to his eldest of eight children.

The former NRL bad boy also insists there's "no way" his boy will ever be involved in the same controversies, negative headlines or lengthy stints on the sideline through suspension.

"Because William is nothing like me," the 1995 Australia tourists says.

"He's a lot better player and doesn't have the same hot head. I know there's going to be some comparisons. Pressure. But my time is finished ... this is all about William."

The unique deal represents the first major strike for Sportsplayer Management - a fledgling company overseen by Hopoate Sr and fellow NRL retiree Tyran Smith.

Boasting a plush high-rise office in Sydney's CBD, the seasoned duo aim to create a bold new voice for promising Polynesian and Aboriginal players.

"Everyone has been talking about fronting for the Islander and Aboriginal boys - but right now no one is walking the walk," Smith says.

"So that's what we're about, giving these players the advice, support and financial knowledge that we never received ourselves.

"Because plenty of guys I played with left the game with nothing. They were dudded, pushed into bad investments ... how does anyone let this happen?

"So we want to change that. If players come to us with the right tools and attitude, we're going to make sure they get all the results they deserve."

And it's started with Hopoate. The only kid on the Northern Beaches who can now spot his teachers a loan.

Patorick

Staff member
ORIGIN forward Jacob Lillyman has signed a two-year deal with the Warriors from next year in a move that will end his six-year stint as a Cowboy.
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,23885391-5003409,00.html

0,,6099960,00.jpg

QUEENSLAND Origin forward Jacob Lillyman, pictured with Brent Tate, has signed a two-year deal with the Warriors. / The Courier-Mail

Pretty sure that's Dallas Johnson. :crazy:

Patorick

Staff member
lol i didn't even notice that hahaha

You see it happen with league articles a fair bit. It's understandable as Lillyman is not the most high-profile of players, but you'd still like to think people writing and editing this stuff would know which player is which. Bah.

Stizyler

Juniors
You see it happen with league articles a fair bit. It's understandable as Lillyman is not the most high-profile of players, but you'd still like to think people writing and editing this stuff would know which player is which. Bah.
well the 13 on the sleeve is the big give away(to be fair Johnson and Lillyman to look alike), i just over looked it when reading the article, i never pay much attention to the picture.

I remember one article in the Courier Mail where they posted a picture of what looked to be a over weight water boy and tried to pass it off as Anaster lol

skeepe

Immortal
Colin Best to South Sydney on a 1 year deal. He rejected a similar deal from the Raiders, presumably because Souths offered more money.

Source: WIN TV News

Penance

Juniors
Colin Best to South Sydney on a 1 year deal. He rejected a similar deal from the Raiders, presumably because Souths offered more money.

Source: WIN TV News
No it's because he likes John Lang from Cronulla days, and he wants to play Centre.

Also i've been told its a 2 year deal.

Special K

Coach
Colin Best will be good for souths. Solid player who will add a lot of depth and experience for them.

Would of liked him to of been a shark again

blain

Juniors
CFMEU Canberra Raiders five-eighth Terry Campese has re-signed with the Green Machine, after agreeing to a new two year deal today.

Campese, 23, has been in career best form in 2008 for the Raiders, and has established himself as the clubs premier five-eighth with some solid performances.

After a lengthy negotiation process Campese said it's great to finally have his future sorted, and although he admitted it had been a long process, said his focus had always been and would continue to be on his football.

"To sign the deal today is great, it's a two year deal which is what I wanted and it's good to get it over the line," Campese said. "It's been on my mind for a few weeks now, but I've been trying not to think about it but its hard when it's in the papers, but now it's all done I can focus on footy."

A Queanbeyan junior, Campese said all he ever wanted to do growing up was to play for the Raiders, and was hoping to go on and establish himself as one of the most loyal servants for the Green Machine.

"It's what I've wanted since I was a little kid, and I got the opportunity when I was 18 to come and play here after I finished school," he said. "My goal is to stay here for the rest of my career."

Campese said signing a new contract had capped off a big week for him, following his engagement to his long term partner Sarah.

"I proposed to my girl the night before last, and it's just a bonus that this contract has come as well," he said. "We had a good win against the Broncos, that's where it started, my girl said yes to me so that's a bonus, and now the contract, so its been a good week and hopefully we can smash the dogs tomorrow," he said.

Raiders CEO Don Furner said it was great to finally have Terry's and the clubs future secure, and Campese was another example of some good local talent in the ACT region.

"Negotiations are never easy and he handled a very hard situation really well," Furner said. "Terry is a local product who has always expressed his desire to stay in Canberra so to have him agree is a great boost for the Raiders and the region."

http://rleague.com/db/article.php?id=30707

Inferno

Coach
Colin Best will be good for souths. Solid player who will add a lot of depth and experience for them.

Agreed, especially if it was only a 1 or 2 year deal. He's no worse than half our current backline.

imasharkie

Coach

I agree SK.
He's been back to his best lately and we need a player like him to partner Pomm in the centres.

Ryles gto France

JASON Ryles has today signed a three-year deal worth $1.7 million with UK Super League outfit Les Catalans.
The powerful prop is currently in his first year of a three-season contract with St George Illawarra, but was given permission to negotiate overseas several months ago.

He will head to France next season, leaving the door open for the Dragons to sign Melbourne second rower Jeremy Smith.

Ryles gto France

JASON Ryles has today signed a three-year deal worth $1.7 million with UK Super League outfit Les Catalans.
The powerful prop is currently in his first year of a three-season contract with St George Illawarra, but was given permission to negotiate overseas several months ago.

He will head to France next season, leaving the door open for the Dragons to sign Melbourne second rower Jeremy Smith.

FMD $560k a season is a lot of brass! Ryles is a good player but would have been offered a maximum of about $400k (and thats an optimistic offer) over here I reckon. Good signing for Les Catalans as money is no object for them but it makes you wonder what the likes of Asotasi, Mason, Sonny Bill would be worth over there!

Status
Not open for further replies.