What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings - 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10972

http://sydneyroosters.com.au/news.php?ArticleID=3338

The Sydney Roosters Toyota Cup side has today signed Tu’u Maori and Ulise Fahina to their 2008 squad.
Maori has played 10 matches for the Cronulla Sharks in the Toyota Cup this season and is equal sixth in the competition for tries (8) scored.
He has been signed on for the remainder of the 2008 season and Roosters recruitment officer Peter O’Sullivan knows his versatility in the backline will be valuable.
“He’s been playing good,” O’Sullivan said.
“He’ll bolster the stocks in 20s and he can play anywhere in the backline.”
Fahina has been playing SG Ball for the Panthers this year and the talented winger has been signed until the end of 2010.
“Ulise will join us for the remainder of this season,” O’Sullivan said.
“He’s a promising young player and we will see more of him in the coming years.”

----------

Also, according to the Jets website (match report for Bulldogs v Jets game), Jets halfback Luke Millwood is off to the North Queensland Cowboys this year as of next week. He really stepped up his game next to NRL reject Luke Branighan.

Patorick

Staff member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_league/super_league/london/7483510.stm

Harlequins have signed Australian utility player Chad Robinson from Parramatta Eels on a two-year contract.

Robinson, 27, previously spent three years with Sydney and is primarily a second rower but can also play at loose forward and prop.

"This is a position that we have been looking to recruit for for quite some time," said Quins boss Brian McDermott.

Robinson said: "The more I read and research about London and Harlequins the more excited I get."

Robinson is expected to arrive in November to begin pre-season training.

McDermott added: "While we will still continue to show faith in our youth, we need to have a seasoned player and we are very pleased that that person is Chad."

ethos

Live Update Team
BRISBANE Broncos youngster Rod Davies has followed in the footsteps of Berrick Barnes to create a three-way tussle for Chris Latham's No.15 jersey at the Queensland Reds.

Former Australian Schoolboys rugby fullback Davies signed a two-year deal to switch codes from rugby league and play Super 14 with the Reds from next season.

Like Wallabies inside centre Barnes, another Ipswich Grammar product, the 19-year-old is returning to rugby union after two years with the Broncos.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23957341-23217,00.html

No loss at all really. He was probably never going to crack first grade.

Good luck to him though.

Pumba

First Grade
Sydney Roosters re-signed on Wednesday Kiwi Test centre Setaimata Sa until the end of 2012 and injured forward Shane Shackleton for another season.

Sa was contracted to the Roosters until 2009 but has signed an extension that will keep him at the club until 2012.

He debuted for the Roosters in 2007 and has since won a New Zealand jumper when called upon for the 2008 Centenary Test.

Shackleton signed a one-year deal that will see him stay at the club for the 2009 season.

He joined the Roosters in 2005 and made his debut in the same year, but tore his bicep in the Foundation Cup in February and is due to make his comeback within the next month.

Coach Brad Fittler said the re-signing of both players is in line with the club's policy of encouraging young and developing talent along with loyalty.

"I'm particularly thrilled that the club has shown loyalty and confidence with Shane who has worked un-endingly to overcome his current injury but above this is his contribution to the club off the field during this difficult time," said Fittler.

Link

slippery nipeel

Juniors
Cowboys sign Manuokafoa

July 03, 2008 CELLAR dwellers North Queensland received some welcome good news after South Sydney forward Manase Manuokafoa signed a three-year deal with the Cowboys from 2009.
The signing of Manuokafoa, 23, will pave the way for Cowboys prop Ray Cashmere's departure.

He was told last week that he would be allowed to explore his options, most likely in the English Super League.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23962639-23214,00.html

Yet another big loss for the Rabbits and a good signing for the Cows

Yet another big loss for the Rabbits and a good signing for the Cows

Don't know about Big Loss, he is one of the softest defensive Props I have seen. That try a few weeks back where a Canberra replacement second rower run straight over the top of him near the line, was one of the worst I've seen!

Still, he is only young and he has a massive frame and good mobility. The Jury is out on his ability atm though.

I'm wondering who these other supposed big losses for the Bunnies are as well? Rogers? He is the only one other than Manase to have signed elsewhere officially.

MSKnight

Juniors
Manase will head to the Cowboys and under a decent half be an enforcer in their pack. A change is what he needs.

Sood

Juniors
Yeh i dont think he is anything special.

But a lot of players leave souths and look like much better players at other teams, so who knows.

Rocky Rabbit

Juniors
Agree, you only look at Harrison and Minichiello and Souths fans should be thinking WTF?

Ill give you Minichello however Harrison became an origin player at Souths then left to further his rep career at the roosters and was struck down with injury after injury. Went to the Titans and showed the same form he showed at Souths.

Paul Hewson

Juniors
Agree, you only look at Harrison and Minichiello and Souths fans should be thinking WTF?

Minichiello's biggest problem at Souths was his hands. He use to drop the ball 3 times per game. But we did get to see what he could do. At the Titans I think he has become more consistant but at times his hands let him down.

Harrison was a stand out in a poor Souths side but did gain selection into the Qld Origin side in 2005. At the Roosters he lost his form but is back up there with the Titans.

I will miss Nelson and think he is yet to realise his potential. Give him 2 more years and he might get there. He has been at Souths now since 2002 and I think a change is what is needed. Could be a handy pick up for the Cowboys but not at the expence of Cashmere.

Matrix

Juniors
Don't know about Big Loss, he is one of the softest defensive Props I have seen. That try a few weeks back where a Canberra replacement second rower run straight over the top of him near the line, was one of the worst I've seen!

Still, he is only young and he has a massive frame and good mobility. The Jury is out on his ability atm though.

I'm wondering who these other supposed big losses for the Bunnies are as well? Rogers? He is the only one other than Manase to have signed elsewhere officially.
I think Paulson,Smith, Huihahau,Tamanika,Paea and Ndaira will all go. I wouldnt say they are big losses but they must be replaced.

slippery nipeel

Juniors

Given what you roster you have start with - its a big loss!!:sarcasm:

Patorick

Staff member
Given what you roster you have start with - its a big loss!!:sarcasm:

Not to take anything away from your joke, but there's probably another 5-10 Manuokafoa's running around in Souths Juniors, so it really is no big loss for them.

It's not like they've lost an Ian Roberts to Manly of anything.

Patorick

Staff member
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/rooney-to-join-rugby-expats/2008/07/07/1215282747258.html

Rooney to join rugby expats in France

Brad Walter | July 8, 2008

FORMER Kangaroos winger Luke Rooney will join Tana Umaga and George Gregan at French rugby union club Toulon after agreeing to terms for a lucrative two-year deal.

Rooney, whose contract with Penrith expires at the end of the season, was close to signing with Canberra but couldn't refuse the French offer. He will head to the Cote d'Azur as soon as his commitments with the Panthers end.

Despite never having played rugby union, 25-year-old Rooney was targeted by Umaga - a former Junior Kiwis league representative - to switch codes after being linked to a number of English Super League clubs.

Having finished his glittering playing career at Toulon last year, Umaga is now the coach and he has assembled a star-studded line-up that includes former All Blacks team-mates Jerry Collins, Andrew Mehrtens, Anton Oliver, Nathan Mauger and Saimone Taumoepeau, as well as Gregan.

Another former Wallabies halfback Matt Henjak, sacked by the Western Force earlier this year for breaking a teammate's jaw in a pub brawl, has also signed with Toulon, whose president Mourad Boudjellal has vowed to use the fortune he made from comic strips to ensure the club enjoys success in its centenary year.

According to reports from Europe, Umaga's contract is valued at €300,000 ($490,200), while Gregan - his former rival Test captain - receives €400,000.

In comparison, Rooney's deal is understood to be worth $300,000 per season, after tax, plus living expenses, including accommodation and a car.

"Luke was favouring going to Canberra but then this came up and it's something he couldn't really refuse," Rooney's agent Allan Gainey said.

"It's not just the money but the lifestyle is pretty good too and I think we'll see more and more guys head over there."

Former Penrith captain Craig Gower, who recently re-signed with Bayonne for a further two years on a deal reportedly worth $2.5 million and ex-Parramatta, Wigan and Manly centre David Vaealiki have also made the switch to rugby union in France.

Status
Not open for further replies.