What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings 2013/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Eagle

Juniors
After so many attempts, Souths finally sign their replacement for Sam Burgess.

Decent signing, can't see him getting back to the form that saw him play Origin, but he'll do well at Souths.

Grant isn't half the player Burgess is,he may have potential but far too young to reach it within this particular contract,he may prove to be a Ben Teo style masterstroke but i don't think he's that good

Its funny,Grant was NEVER going to leave penrith,he loves it etc but once the big bucks roll in guess whose first out the door,he belongs at the club with no heart,no soul and no home

RWB

Bench
Grant isn't half the player Burgess is,he may have potential but far too young to reach it within this particular contract,he may prove to be a Ben Teo style masterstroke but i don't think he's that good

Its funny,Grant was NEVER going to leave penrith,he loves it etc but once the big bucks roll in guess whose first out the door,he belongs at the club with no heart,no soul and no home

You do realise Tim Grant is older than Sam Burgess?

And he didn't chose to leave, he was pushed out the door just like Lachlan Coote, Michael Jennings & Sam Mckendry soon will be because they signed big contracts under the old administration with a percentage clause in their contract relative to the salary cap rise.

The Eagle

Juniors

And he didn't chose to leave, he was pushed out the door just like Lachlan Coote, Michael Jennings & Sam Mckendry soon will be because they signed big contracts under the old administration with a percentage clause in their contract relative to the salary cap rise.

Ahh he's 2 years from max potential i didn't realize he was so old

Must have been either bog average or played reggies most of his career

I should have fact checked before i posted but it still stands,he isn't worthy to polish Sam's studs,Burgess hasn't even peaked yet if the age myths about props is true,which i believe it to be

Kiwi

First Grade

by what 10 months, which is hardly much really.

RWB

Bench
Ahh he's 2 years from max potential i didn't realize he was so old

Must have been either bog average or played reggies most of his career

I should have fact checked before i posted but it still stands,he isn't worthy to polish Sam's studs,Burgess hasn't even peaked yet if the age myths about props is true,which i believe it to be

He'll never come close to Sam Brugess but that's a pretty hard yard stick to measure anyone by. He's struggled with injuries but I reckon he's still a pretty good no-nonsense type player.

by what 10 months, which is hardly much really.

Never said it was, was just in response to the comment that he's far too young to reach his potential in his current contract with Souths.

Kiwi

First Grade
He'll never come close to Sam Brugess but that's a pretty hard yard stick to measure anyone by. He's struggled with injuries but I reckon he's still a pretty good no-nonsense type player.

Never said it was, was just in response to the comment that he's far too young to reach his potential in his current contract with Souths.

I think Grant cann't be compared to Burgess, two completely different players, lets be honest here, Sam is as much a front rower as Corey Parker is. Grant has the potential to be a Tamou type player.

Tim Grant has not been signed to replace Sam Burgess. We lost two genuine props in Asotasi and Lima last year and never really adequately replaced them. I think we were hoping for Tom to come on like his brother did in 2013 but he hasn't played a game yet because of injury. This has really left us quite thin for numbers up front. Tim addresses that problem quite nicely.

I don't think we will find a definitive replacement for Sam. I reckon it will be a case where we will sign someone who is not at Sam's standard and expect the guys we already have to pick up their work rates to cover the difference.

MrAnonymous

Bench
Like Jennings he is in an environment where they are forcing him into uncomfortable situations, dropping him to NSW Cup etc so he would take a pay drop or leave as he has done

No that's not it at all. He has been average for the last year and a half. Sad to see him go but not that much of a loss when we have another front rower on 1/4 he is on out performing him week in week out.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
I love hearing fans bag players as soon as they leave their club. TG is far from average, will improve as a player just as Te'o has. Another player who Broncos fans didn't mind leaving and now suddenly hope comes back.

MrAnonymous

Bench
How is that post bagging him out?? He has been average, the merkin hasn't even played for Souths yet and your already throwing up biased views.

I Hope he goes to Souths and Carves, plays for NSW again and Australia . He has done nothing wrong to the club ive got no reason to bag just telling the truth. He was one of the best front rowers in the comp 2011/12 he is a shadow of that form.

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
I love hearing fans bag players as soon as they leave their club. TG is far from average, will improve as a player just as Te'o has. Another player who Broncos fans didn't mind leaving and now suddenly hope comes back.

As opposed to fans suddenly talk players up as soon as they sign them. You sure showed them biased supporters!

Kiwi

First Grade
Yeah grants form last year was crap, deserved to get dropped. if he finds form again he'll be a very handy pick up for souths

Kiwi

First Grade

Not many Bronco fans wanted him to leave but understood why he did, he was great for us, but wanted a starting spot, got offered more money and so left. Stop making shit up to suit your agenda.

BranVan3000

Coach
No that's not it at all. He has been average for the last year and a half. Sad to see him go but not that much of a loss when we have another front rower on 1/4 he is on out performing him week in week out.

So was Jennings. A lot of factors can play on form

We know he is a high quality player though

Kiwi

First Grade

You do realise Grant's first request for a release was denied? If they were that eager to get rid of him they would have jumped at the first request.

Also I think people are forgetting how bad Jennings was playing at club level before he went to the Roosters. I'm no Panthers fan, far from it, but people have very selective memories.

Kiwi

First Grade
So was Jennings. A lot of factors can play on form

We know he is a high quality player though

Yes a lot of factors come into form. Maybe that's why they didn't give Grant the release when he first asked for it two weeks prior. Maybe they didn't want him gone and hoped that the form he showed previously would return, and only relented because he made the second request. To many variables to just say the Panthers wanted him gone.

BranVan3000

Coach
You do realise Grant's first request for a release was denied? If they were that eager to get rid of him they would have jumped at the first request.

Also I think people are forgetting how bad Jennings was playing at club level before he went to the Roosters. I'm no Panthers fan, far from it, but people have very selective memories.

The first request was for this year. Second request is for next year onwards

BranVan3000

Coach
Re: Rumour: Glen Stewart
The South Sydney Rabbitohs have signed representative and premiership-winning forward Glenn Stewart for the 2015 and 2016 seasons today.

Stewart, 30, has played 184 NRL matches since making his debut for the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles in 2003. Stewart has played in four NRL Grand Finals with the Sea Eagles in 2007, 2008, 2011 and 2013, claiming premierships in the 2008 and 2011 seasons as well as the Clive Churchill Medal for man-of-the-match in the Grand Final in 2011.

Stewart has also represented Australia in five Tests in 2008 and 2009; NSW in five State of Origin clashes in 2009 and 2012; played three games for Country Origin in 2008, 2010 and 2011; and played for the Prime Minister’s XIII against Papua New Guinea in 2009.

To read the full announcement, please click here.

Members email

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts