What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings

shear_joy9

Coach
Simonsson is basically gonna replace Oldfield in the squad you'd reckon, so not a really good or bad signing.

Hodgson is interesting. I don't rate him anymore but we obviously need a hooker for 2023. If the money is right (and you'd guess it was otherwise why sign him) then having an experienced one locked in early isn't the worst idea. There's not a heap on the market and we've got some kid from Newcastle with wraps on him coming through.

I still wouldn't be surprised if we sign Sam Verrills too. I don't think he'll be overly worried about having to compete with a geriatric pom
Simonson will be getting paid like a first grade starter though. The guy's only worth a minimum wage contract if that.

Hodgson wouldn't have signed for anything less than $500k a season which makes their Mahoney negotiations look even more dumb. Hodgson can barely move, f**ks up the teams attack and just isn't suited to the faster game.

Simonson will be getting paid like a first grade starter though. The guy's only worth a minimum wage contract if that.

Hodgson wouldn't have signed for anything less than $500k a season which makes their Mahoney negotiations look even more dumb. Hodgson can barely move, f**ks up the teams attack and just isn't suited to the faster game.
Hodgson will barely get through next season let alone 2023. Odd signing

Dogs Of War

Coach

Parra looking to add to their wooden spoon collection.

Dogs Of War

Coach
@nick87 You will be happy

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/20...-cotric-from-final-two-years-of-his-contract/

Bulldogs release Nic Cotric from final two years of his contract​

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs would like to wish Nic Cotric all the best with the next stage of his career, after agreeing to release the winger immediately from the final two years of his contract.
Bulldogs Chief Executive, Aaron Warburton, thanked Cotric for the great effort he had put in while representing the club:
"I'd like to thank Nic on behalf of the club, for the great effort and level of professionalism he has shown while here at the Bulldogs.
Cotric gets his first try as a Bulldog

He has been a fantastic ambassador for the club, on and off the field, and we greatly appreciate the way that he has carried himself through this process.
We now wish Nic all the best with the next stage of his career, in the knowledge that he will always be a part of the Bulldogs family."

I think it's going to be an interesting week for player transfers. Cotric leaving means someone is coming to the dogs. Might be a few other balls in play as well for other clubs.

nick87

Coach
I know the Bulldogs would like to thank Nic, but i personally would like to thank the Bulldogs

I really appreciate you handing out a contract which EVERYONE except the Bulldogs (and their fans) could see at the time of the deal (this is not hindsight! We call that in real time) was an absurd overpay, so that you could rent the guy for a year and now have to continue paying part of his wages so he can play for the Raiders on a money less than we offered to retain him to begin with!

And big shouts to all those dogs fans who got upset with me when i tried to explain that paying a winger 150k over the market rate, just to get him in the door and then play him out of position at centre was not going to work out for you, particularly when your halves are headed by Lachlan Lewis

Dogs Of War

Coach
I know the Bulldogs would like to thank Nic, but i personally would like to thank the Bulldogs

I really appreciate you handing out a contract which EVERYONE except the Bulldogs (and their fans) could see at the time of the deal (this is not hindsight! We call that in real time) was an absurd overpay, so that you could rent the guy for a year and now have to continue paying part of his wages so he can play for the Raiders on a money less than we offered to retain him to begin with!

And big shouts to all those dogs fans who got upset with me when i tried to explain that paying a winger 150k over the market rate, just to get him in the door and then play him out of position at centre was not going to work out for you, particularly when your halves are headed by Lachlan Lewis

I think it's worked out quite fine given the players that have been attracted since. As I said, I think that was just the first ball rolling of a few player movements that are about to go down between certain clubs which will benefit the lot of them.

nick87

Coach
I think it's worked out quite fine given the players that have been attracted since. As I said, I think that was just the first ball rolling of a few player movements that are about to go down between certain clubs which will benefit the lot of them.

LOLOLOL
Oh yeah, it worked out great for the bulldogs!
Nic Cotric has exactly zero to do with the players attracted since, no one was attracted to the club because you guys over paid a guy by so much that it's an f**king albatross contract 12 months after it was signed.

Wizardman

First Grade
LOLOLOL
Oh yeah, it worked out great for the bulldogs!
Nic Cotric has exactly zero to do with the players attracted since, no one was attracted to the club because you guys over paid a guy by so much that it's an f**king albatross contract 12 months after it was signed.
Here is the kicker mate....they have made the same mistake twice by signing JAC for fullback money! Good luck scoring tries with Flanagan there.

nick87

Coach
Here is the kicker mate....they have made the same mistake twice by signing JAC for fullback money! Good luck scoring tries with Flanagan there.
Indeed. JAC will probably be back on the wing where he belongs by round 10
But at least they've finally addressed the halves and hooker spot. I dont know if Burton will be as good in the halves as he is centre, but that's a bet you make 100 times out of 100. And Mahoney is a good hooker... So presumably they've at least got 2/4 spine positions addressed
Rather than spending 650k on a winger to play centre and having nothing at fullback, the halves or hooker

They might be slow learners, but i think they are learning.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Proof will be in the pudding. Roster is much better than it has looked for many years.

I note that Cotric signed an extra year for the Raiders. I wonder how that is playing out. Dogs paid an exit fee from the contract and Raiders commenced a new one for him.

nick87

Coach
Proof will be in the pudding. Roster is much better than it has looked for many years.

I note that Cotric signed an extra year for the Raiders. I wonder how that is playing out. Dogs paid an exit fee from the contract and Raiders commenced a new one for him.

How it plays out is pretty simple
The dogs will be paying a chunk of his salary in 2022 and 2023, we'll take on full freight from 2024 onwards.

Dogs Of War

Coach
How it plays out is pretty simple
The dogs will be paying a chunk of his salary in 2022 and 2023, we'll take on full freight from 2024 onwards.

You can only guess at that. It wasn't like the Raiders didn't have other clubs interested. It's just he preferred going back to the Raiders rather than the other options available to the Dogs. He may have just cut and run faced with that. Many ways to play that game.

dogslife

Coach
Not gonna lie, a bit disappointed as I was interested to see how he would go with a much better team around him, our backline was abominable. Be interested to see how much we're kicking in for next season, and if we're freeing up cap space for someone else in 2022. Nick carrying on like we're paying 75% freight and Cotric is the missing link between the Raiders and top 4 finish is as equally hilarious to me as the enjoyment he seems to be getting from it

nick87

Coach
You can only guess at that. It wasn't like the Raiders didn't have other clubs interested. It's just he preferred going back to the Raiders rather than the other options available to the Dogs. He may have just cut and run faced with that. Many ways to play that game.
"It's just he preferred going back to the Raiders rather than the other options available to the Dogs. "
LOL! Oh honey...
They had no other options because this is not the NFL or the NBA where the dogs can just trade him to another team without his consent. I guarantee you he didn't a damn cent on the table from that Dogs deal and no way in hell the Raiders, who wouldn't give him more than 500k 12 months ago, would take him now at the sticker price of 600-650k coming off the worst year of his career.
He's not at the Tigers because Cotric decided he didnt want to play there. The tigers could have offered the best deal in the world and the Dogs cant do shit unless he agrees... So no, dogs options were:
a) deal him to canberra on terms they agree to
b) keep him

Don't be stupid all your life mate, the dogs made a very bad deal and they'll be paying for it over the next 2 years.

Not gonna lie, a bit disappointed as I was interested to see how he would go with a much better team around him, our backline was abominable. Be interested to see how much we're kicking in for next season, and if we're freeing up cap space for someone else in 2022. Nick carrying on like we're paying 75% freight and Cotric is the missing link between the Raiders and top 4 finish is as equally hilarious to me as the enjoyment he seems to be getting from it

I never even mentioned how much freight you guys are paying, nor have i said anything about the Raiders finishing top 4. All i've done is laugh at your stupid idiotic club for not being able to figure out what idiots on an internet forum like me (and many others) did at the time they signed this deal

FWIW - i expect the dogs are paying somewhere between 150k-200k in freight, media reports said they were happy to pay 150k, i'd wager the Raiders squeezed a little more juice from that orange but probably not that much more, and the Raiders will likely finish outside the top 8 this season.

dogslife

Coach
I never even mentioned how much freight you guys are paying, nor have i said anything about the Raiders finishing top 4. All i've done is laugh at your stupid idiotic club for not being able to figure out what idiots on an internet forum like me (and many others) did at the time they signed this deal

FWIW - i expect the dogs are paying somewhere between 150k-200k in freight, media reports said they were happy to pay 150k, i'd wager the Raiders squeezed a little more juice from that orange but probably not that much more, and the Raiders will likely finish outside the top 8 this season.
I can't speak for other Dogs supporters, but I and most others accept that when you're a shit team, you need to pay overs for good players, which will hopefully attract other good players. The Dogs have finished 12th, 12th, 15th and stone motherless in the last 4 seasons, and Cotric signed for us when we hadn't even named a coach for this season, of course he was going to be on overs, but I accepted that a means of turning things around, which we've done massively roster wise for next season and beyond.

Whitesnake were on tour and Boyz II Men were top of the pops the last time Canberra saluted, are you suggesting they haven't had to fork out overs for a player in the years since?