What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Consolidation, reclamation and expansion with additional clubs in the NRL

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Looks at it another way ? Perhaps factor in money invested , fees and potential influence at the top end of town? But no these things don't count in the "all is rosy world " you portray for rugby league.

It's not doing RU in this country any good is it? Stop with the ''all negative world'' you portray for RL. The game is bigger than ever and played in more places than ever.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I don’t know how much progress you really think would take place. You’re looking at such a small number of potential people and the actual number who would take it up if offered would be an even smaller number.
I would like to see it happen but I don’t think you would be able to measure the progress I would make.
Rugby league is the most popular code in NSW with this human rights violation taking place, what’s going to change?

lol

Stallion

First Grade
It's not doing RU in this country any good is it? Stop with the ''all negative world'' you portray for RL. The game is bigger than ever and played in more places than ever.

You seriously have no idea do you!? Absolutely ignorant and a complete lack of understanding. That's your domain . Not mine.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You seriously have no idea do you!? Absolutely ignorant and a complete lack of understanding. That's your domain . Not mine.

Is that all you've got... really? Memberships, attendances, TV ratings, participation, revenue and media coverage is at or near the highest they've ever been and certainly sh!tting all over RU in Australia and you are running around telling us all that the sky is falling.

Tell me again who has no idea...

Pommy

Coach
Is that all you've got... really? Memberships, attendances, TV ratings, participation, revenue and media coverage is at or near the highest they've ever been and certainly sh!tting all over RU in Australia and you are running around telling us all that the sky is falling.

But some second (or maybe third) tier team got 10 thousand to a game over Manly. Origin hasn’t got shit on that.

Stallion

First Grade
#codeincrisis

Absolutely foolish ignoramuses in action. Let's hope you people never gain a position whereby future rugby league growth and improvements are an aim. You basically have no idea of identifying/recognising underlying issues. That's a fact!

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade

You have NO IDEA!

Taking The Two

Juniors
I’m English so not au fait with the cultural differences between RL fans in the U.K. and Australia, but why exactly do we need to be moving a Sydney side?

I get that Manly or another may not be the most heavily supported side, but if they’re doing well financially, have a pretty stable following and are offering things on the pitch (results and development of young players, for example), do we really need to move them?

The Great Dane

First Grade
I’m English so not au fait with the cultural differences between RL fans in the U.K. and Australia, but why exactly do we need to be moving a Sydney side?

I get that Manly or another may not be the most heavily supported side, but if they’re doing well financially, have a pretty stable following and are offering things on the pitch (results and development of young players, for example), do we really need to move them?

They aren't doing pretty well financially (most of the smaller clubs are totally reliant on NRL grants to survive, that's not a good situation), though their following may be stable it's relatively small and there's next to no room for growth as things stand, their junior development isn't anything that another club couldn't takeover and do just as well (if not better in some cases), and on field results should never come into a business decision like this.

Let me try and explain this to you. The Sydney market is totally over saturated, which is not only stunting the potential of the Sydney clubs that could become huge clubs but the competition as a whole.

We have a situation where we are desperately holding onto some small suburban clubs in the name of tradition (really because of a we were here first mentality) because the NRL is afraid to hurt anybodies feelings when it'd be better for both the NRL and clubs if they were playing in a lower grade more suited to their financial position and popularity, as it'd allow the clubs to thrive in amongst more equal competition and it'd free up the NRL to better invest in projects to grow the sport.

Let's put it this way, imagine that there was no pro&reg in your part of the world, so when Bradford collapsed there was nowhere for them to go. Now imagine that when they went bankrupt the RFL propped them up because they were scared of the public backlash if they let Bradford die and be replaced, so now the RFL is propping up a carcass of a club that realistically isn't going to grow into anything great or powerful and is just preventing somebody else who does have the potential to grow into something great and powerful, and now you have a close approximation of the situation in Sydney.

Personally I don't think that Manly is a good option for rationalisation, the NRL needs a club north of the bridge in Sydney, but if Manly are going to survive they need to adapt from a Manly club into a North Sydney club, and so far they refuse to do so, and it's not only screwing their club but it's totally screwing the NRL's presence in NS.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
They aren't doing pretty well financially (most of the smaller clubs are totally reliant on NRL grants to survive, that's not a good situation), though their following may be stable it's relatively small and there's next to no room for growth as things stand, their junior development isn't anything that another club couldn't takeover and do just as well (if not better in some cases), and on field results should never come into a business decision like this.

Let me try and explain this to you. The Sydney market is totally over saturated, which is not only stunting the potential of the Sydney clubs that could become huge clubs but the competition as a whole.

We have a situation where we are desperately holding onto some small suburban clubs in the name of tradition (really because of a we were here first mentality) because the NRL is afraid to hurt anybodies feelings when it'd be better for both the NRL and clubs if they were playing in a lower grade more suited to their financial position and popularity, as it'd allow the clubs to thrive in amongst more equal competition and it'd free up the NRL to better invest in projects to grow the sport.

Let's put it this way, imagine that there was no pro&reg in your part of the world, so when Bradford collapsed there was nowhere for them to go. Now imagine that when they went bankrupt the RFL propped them up because they were scared of the public backlash if they let Bradford die and be replaced, so now the RFL is propping up a carcass of a club that realistically isn't going to grow into anything great or powerful and is just preventing somebody else who does have the potential to grow into something great and powerful, and now you have a close approximation of the situation in Sydney.

Personally I don't think that Manly is a good option for rationalisation, the NRL needs a club north of the bridge in Sydney, but if Manly are going to survive they need to adapt from a Manly club into a North Sydney club, and so far they refuse to do so, and it's not only screwing their club but it's totally screwing the NRL's presence in NS.

Well said

Perth Red

Post Whore

To put it into a context that might make sense. Imagine if Birmingham had a strong growing RL jnr set up, was regularly getting 20k crowds to SL games being played there, had a decent stadium and some millionaire backers who were willing to bankroll them. But they couldnt get into SL because it was a closed shop and unwilling to go beyond the current number of clubs and you had the likes of Salford and Leigh with a couple of thousand fans and no money taking up some of those spots.
Thats kind of what weve got here. There are simply better options.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
To put it into a context that might make sense. Imagine if Birmingham had a strong growing RL jnr set up, was regularly getting 20k crowds to SL games being played there, had a decent stadium and some millionaire backers who were willing to bankroll them. But they couldnt get into SL because it was a closed shop and unwilling to go beyond the current number of clubs and you had the likes of Salford and Leigh with a couple of thousand fans and no money taking up some of those spots.

But, but, but that third division RU team that pulls less than Manly do are a threat!

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Could also look at it like this:

Greater Manchester has a population of 2.799 million people and has two EPL teams, Manchester United and Manchester City, perfect for a good local rivalry. Now imagine if that same population had 6 or 8 teams there, the crowd averages would be a lot lower because the population has more options. If you throw into that another 2 or 3 elite level sports all competing in the same market at the same time of year then your fan pool is significantly reduced.

There are plenty of arguements for relocation (not saying I want that to happen) and in a way it does make sense but I think the better option is reallocation of the NRL licence if a team goes bust.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I know this will probably stir up a bit of heat and what not but here goes....

If you could bring back/establish a new Sydney/NSW team at the expense of another NSW based team; which teams woud they be AND why?

I want to know people's reasoning behind their decision rather than just plucking 2 clubs for no real reason other than "because".

For me, I would let Manly go/rebrand in place of their place re-establish the Northern Eagles brand or something playing out of Gosford. My reasoning is simply to bring Manly out of the peninsula bubble and establish a club that covered more of the North. This would also allow the inner city teams some breathing space with the Roosterspushing into North Sydney but still keeping the Sydney Roosters tag and push some influence on the north shore. Maybe hold a few training sessions out of NSO and pre-season games. Have a heritage round game played out of there with Souths or Wests.

Just an opinion. I have no hate towards the Eagles personally.

Last edited:

Latest posts