What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Consolidation, reclamation and expansion with additional clubs in the NRL

The Great Dane

First Grade
Continuing on with your negative theme! I would like the access to all levels of schooling given to union and the massive junior player numbers for soccer.

The "access" that RU gets to all levels of schooling is a cultural relic of English class cultural where playing school sports like rugby signals social and class status. Such cultural influences are largely outside of the NRL's control (except in a passive way), so the possibility of them replicating what RU has is slim to none, but who cares anyway because it's mainly a private school thing and though RU may get advantages, such as the aforementioned high school sports teams, from said cultural relic they also get disadvantages that come along with that, like the image that the sport has of being a game for the upper classes and the rich.

Besides RL can continue to do what it's done for decades now: let the kids play RU at high school, then sign all the best players once they come out the other side, because broadly speaking RU can't compete with the money on offer in RL in this country. In other words, as long as most of the ones we want get to RL in the end who cares if we let RU develop them for us along the way.

Soccer's massive juniors numbers are a social issue where parents (lets be honest it's mostly the mothers) hold the idea that soccer is safer than RL (and most other sports) to play, that isn't really the case at the younger ages, and the younger that you introduce a kid to tackling the safer it is, but that doesn't matter because the social perception of the violence in sports and how dangerous they are as a result is almost totally outside of the NRL's control except in a passive way. So since they have no control over there really isn't any point in worrying about it to much.

Stallion

First Grade
Lol. Your theory basically excluding rugby league from elite private schools as "cultural" has been debunked by parents complaining of this unfair exclusion of rugby league in the independent Private schools of Brisbane which are now playing the "ostrocised culturally " denounced code of rugby league in term 3. The QRL is facilitating this rugby league competition. So this is a very real example of rugby league being played in elite private schools. And yes it matters and is possible! And NSW elite private schools are long overdue for such a "revelation! "
Your dismissive regard for soccer junior numbers is laughable. Soccer is a great game which enables most players to play the main elements of the code in all positions on the field. Much like rugby league (compared to union or gridiron etc) Added to this , I do recommend Leaguetag be looked as a introductory junior form of rugby league which seems to be sadly missing in junior comps to date. This would increase participation and relevance of the rugby league big time! (in Newcastle anyway)To date no junior leaguetag comps in the Newcastle to complement/capitalise on well attended school gala days of recent years.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Lol. Your theory basically excluding rugby league from elite private schools as "cultural" has been debunked by parents complaining of this unfair exclusion of rugby league in the independent Private schools of Brisbane which are now playing the "ostrocised culturally " denounced code of rugby league in term 3. The QRL is facilitating this rugby league competition. So this is a very real example of rugby league being played in elite private schools. And yes it matters and is possible! And NSW elite private schools are long overdue for such a "revelation! "
So you're telling me that the culture shifted in Queensland to the point that parents demanded that the schools run RL programs, and all of this happened totally independently of any direct influence from the NRL.

Mate, you've just further supported my point!

Oh Staillion, what're we gonna do with you mate, lol.

Your dismissive regard for soccer junior numbers is laughable. Soccer is a great game which enables most players to play the main elements of the code in all positions on the field. Much like rugby league (compared to union or gridiron etc) Added to this , I do recommend Leaguetag be looked as a introductory junior form of rugby league which seems to be sadly missing in junior comps to date. This would increase participation and relevance of the rugby league big time! (in Newcastle anyway)To date no junior leaguetag comps in the Newcastle to complement/capitalise on well attended school gala days of recent years.
I'm not dismissing soccer's junior numbers. I'm saying that realistically there's nothing that the NRL can really do about the situation even if they wanted to.

Also "your" League Tag idea has been tried at hundred times across the country by multipule different organisations in multiple different sports, and it's never produced very good results.

Generally speaking parents are more willing to let their kids play League Tag then full contact RL sure, but even so most who wouldn't let their kids play full contact still would't let them play full contact RL after they'd been exposed to one of the non-contact versions anyway, and by the time that a kid is old enough to make the decision for themselves it's generally to late.

As I alluded to before, we've seen the same sort of plan over and over using OZtag, Touch, and other similar things in other sports, and the conversion rate of kids that have only played those forms of the game to the full contact version is next to none in real terms.

Stallion

First Grade
So you're telling me that the culture shifted in Queensland to the point that parents demanded that the schools run RL programs, and all of this happened totally independently of any direct influence from the NRL.

I'm not dismissing soccer's junior numbers. I'm saying that realistically there's nothing that the NRL can really do about the situation even if they wanted to.

Also "your" League Tag idea has been tried at hundred times across the country by multipule different organisations in multiple different sports, and it's never produced very good results.

Generally speaking parents are more willing to let their kids play League Tag then full contact RL sure, but even so most who wouldn't let their kids play full contact still would't let them play full contact RL after they'd been exposed to one of the non-contact versions anyway, and by the time that a kid is old enough to make the decision for themselves it's generally to late.

As I alluded to before, we've seen the same sort of plan over and over using OZtag, Touch, and other similar things in other sports, and the conversion rate of kids that have only played those forms of the game to the full contact version is next to none in real terms.

When you paraphrase get it right! The QRL supported the private school competition as a result of parental demand. It's yet to be seen whether the NSWRL will have the same endeavour! At as yet no such endeavour. Long overdue. I also find your lies about leaguetag as amazingly innept in understanding of sports culture. Are you aware that leaguetag originated in southern NSW to offset the aggressive growth/invasion of AFL in that area? It has done so and has made its way to Newcastle finally. It's now attracting plenty of primary schools for gala days but the local junior competitions haven't been organised enough to provide weekend competition for this growing form of rugby league. You are deriding one of the genuine good development stories of rugby league when you dismiss something like leaguetag. Rugby league lost plenty of its influence in touch (formerly tippy league )over twenty years ago when the ARL knocked back an affiliation request from touch in 1996. (that year touch got rid of the play the ball rule and marker) Touch is now a "run and dump" affair. (Sadly much removed from rugby league these days) Leaguetag maintains many of rugby league's rules without the body contact. Mums like that sort of thing. Even Dads. So go figure "Mr paraphraser"!

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
When you paraphrase get it right! The QRL supported the private school competition as a result of parental demand.It's yet to be seen whether the NSWRL will have the same endeavour! At as yet no such endeavour. Long overdue.

I did get it right... You said it yourself right above, there was a cultural shift, the parents demanded change in the schools as a result of said cultural shift, the QRL came in and facilitated the change in schools.

The QRL didn't create the cultural shift, they weren't even the ones that forced the change in the schools, that was the parents, they simply capitalised on the cultural shift.

The NSWRL won't force RL into schools that don't want to run RL programs because they don't have the means to force the necessary cultural change to make such a thing possible anymore then the NRL does or the QRL did. So unless you are suggesting that the NSWRL offer big grants to private schools in NSW to run RL programs, which seems like a poor use of resources to me (and that most of the big important schools will refuse anyway), it's pretty unlikely that you'll see RL in private schools across NSW like you are hoping to see.

I also find your lies about leaguetag as amazingly innept in understanding of sports culture. Are you aware that leaguetag originated in southern NSW to offset the aggressive growth/invasion of AFL in that area? It has done so and has made its way to Newcastle finally. It's now attracting plenty of primary schools for gala days but the local junior competitions haven't been organised enough to provide weekend competition for this growing form of rugby league. You are deriding one of the genuine good development stories of rugby league when you dismiss something like leaguetag. Rugby league lost plenty of its influence in touch (formerly tippy league )over twenty years ago when the ARL knocked back an affiliation request from touch in 1996. (that year touch got rid of the play the ball rule and marker) Touch is now a "run and dump" affair. (Sadly much removed from rugby league these days) Leaguetag maintains many of rugby league's rules without the body contact. Mums like that sort of thing. Even Dads. So go figure "Mr paraphraser"!

What lies about League Tag?

I mean you aren't even addressing what I said about League Tag at all!

I didn't say that parents won't let their kids play it or that kids don't/won't play it, I said that next to none of the kids that do play it will go on to play full contact, so in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't get more kids playing full contact RL, it doesn't really add anything the playing pool, and all it does is boost shallow surface level participation numbers (which isn't a bad thing, but it's not solving the problem you are looking to fix)...

BTW, League Tag is just the knock off Oztag that the NRL owns/is partnered with right?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Continuing on with your negative theme! I would like the access to all levels of schooling given to union and the massive junior player numbers for soccer. My question to you is rugby league should be well above AFL. Reckless and poor strategic planning and decisions have clearly limited rugby league's growth in Australia and internationally. I prefer rugby league to be the number one rugby code worldwide to an extent it's the alternative to soccer . That's my wish and hope. Clearly not yours with your underwhelming aims and boasts.

That's not a question - lol

Ok - so you are wiling to swap positions with RU in Australia for access to the 0.04% of schools that play RU and not RL (with most of the top talent getting picked off by NRL clubs anyway) and you are willing to swap positions with soccer in Australia because of their junior playing numbers - ok, good luck with that.

I'll take our position in Australia over RU and Soccer any day thanks. TV viewership, revenue, members, attendances and media attention all dwarf both of them..

Pommy

Coach
Just give up guys. This is the exact same conversation we were having 12 months ago stop wasting your lives on him.

Pommy

Coach
I note that the News ltd agenda of carving up Sydney clubs hasn't lost its place on NRL 360! It's such a shame and real indictment that such journalists like Paul Kent can voice an opinion aimed at pushing the relocation agenda . Hooper offered some opposition in the form "Haven't we learnt from the past? " Probably orchestrated to look like their is some balance on this show ? So it's very dissapointing that FOX is pushing an agenda of relocation instead of genuine expansion through additional teams/clubs. In fact Kent was not making sense as he was mentioning 18 teams and also assuming that relocation must occur for 18 teams to occur? My math tells me there is currently 16 clubs. An additional two clubs makes 18! No need for relocation at all! In fact a consolidation /reclamation(Central Coast Bears) should be in the mix! Overall it's sad to realise that News ltd is still crunching away at the core strength and substance of this envied competition ; the Sydney clubs!

Freedom of the press, such an indictment.

f**k sake he sucked me in.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
If we are thinking long-term footprint of the game, Adelaide is in front of Central Coast in the queue, unless a team from Sydney relocates there. Central Coast is to RL what Tasmania is to AFL.

Stallion

First Grade

We differ. My belief is that leaguetag is very useful in attracting more people to rugby league. You don't! We differ. It's remarkable you see no benefit for the code in being played at elite private schools around Australia! I do. Remembering that the other codes have universal presence. The Brisbane example was an example of public lobbying that complained about the lack of choice in such private schools given that union , soccer and AFL were in the curriculum. Rugby league was not. Human rights issues were at play and the parents succeeded. That takes alot of lobbying and a worthy cause.Only through popular demand has rugly league got presence in public and Catholic schools (in Newcastle the Catholic rugby league presence is waining). Laurie Daley stated "Why can't his son, whom went to an elite private school,not be given the opportunity or choice to.play rugby league?" This is an important underlying issue for rugby-league and you would rather heckle my comment than promote a positive agenda for the code. We differ.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
We differ. My belief is that leaguetag is very useful in attracting more people to rugby league. You don't! We differ. It's remarkable you see no benefit for the code in being played at elite private schools around Australia! I do. Remembering that the other codes have universal presence. The Brisbane example was an example of public lobbying that complained about the lack of choice in such private schools given that union , soccer and AFL were in the curriculum. Rugby league was not. Human rights issues were at play and the parents succeeded. That takes alot of lobbying and a worthy cause.Only through popular demand has rugly league got presence in public and Catholic schools (in Newcastle the Catholic rugby league presence is waining). Laurie Daley stated "Why can't his son, whom went to an elite private school,not be given the opportunity or choice to.play rugby league?" This is an important underlying issue for rugby-league and you would rather heckle my comment than promote a positive agenda for the code. We differ.

What human rights issues were at play?

As we have told you before the reason Laurie Daley’s son couldn’t play is because his dad willingly chose to put his son in a school that didn’t offer it. It pretty much sums up how dumb Laurie Daley is.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

As we have told you before the reason Laurie Daley’s son couldn’t play is because his dad willingly chose to put his son in a school that didn’t offer it. It pretty much sums up how dumb Laurie Daley is.

Plus NRL clubs pretty much pick the best talent up when these kids come out of school anyway so it is not really costing the game anything that this miniscule percentage of schools don't offer RL as a sport.

Oh and just checked the United Nations declaration of rights, and Rugby League wasn't mentioned. ;)

mongoose

Coach
players like Inglis, Hayne, Slater, Mitchell aren't coming through private schools anyway... the benefit of having connections with these schools are for corporate reasons.

Stallion

First Grade

No ! That's not correct. Laurie Daley assumed rugby league would be in the curriculum. He was astounded and puzzled when his son was making sports choices later in the year that rugby league was not an option. That's the truth.

Stallion

First Grade
Plus NRL clubs pretty much pick the best talent up when these kids come out of school anyway so it is not really costing the game anything that this miniscule percentage of schools don't offer RL as a sport.

Oh and just checked the United Nations declaration of rights, and Rugby League wasn't mentioned. ;)

Probably would not be recognised as with the international sports accord body: GSAIF! Fools. You people are truelly innept in identifying fundamental issues facing rugby league. We battle on.......!

Stallion

First Grade

Cannot see why rugby league is not an option in such schools! Union is given opportunity everywhere however the genuine real world popularity of RL has rugby-league mostly prevailing(in Australia ). Seeing rugby league having such universal presence in schooling would be a big step forward for the code. If for you cannot see the merit in this? We fundamentally dissagree.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
No ! That's not correct. Laurie Daley assumed rugby league would be in the curriculum. He was astounded and puzzled when his son was making sports choices later in the year that rugby league was not an option. That's the truth.

Again proving how dumb he is. Why bother reading about this product you’re buying when you can just assume and get outraged later?
I’m going to buy a Ferrari and bitch that I can take it out bush.

Latest posts