What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contract Hunting Season 2007/2008

• Thread starter Deleted member 10972
  • Start date
Achillies said:
All the signings we have made this year will mean nothing if we lose guys like Fa'alago next year.Guys like Heggarty and Mellor are off contract at the end of next year and i ve got no doubt we paid overs to Heggs from the roosters so we should have enough cash to keep Fa'alago.Wouldnt be suprised to see guys like Galavao and Lowe who have years to run on there contracts offered releases to free up some cash to keep who we want and chase a few more.

That will definately happen.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
>zuzu< said:
They will gun to keep McDonell, he is set to replace a winger and/or Hodgson. Harrison could be released to another club imo. He was "made for FG" but has yet to make an impact that his name has lead him too. As for the rest, fairly solid players there. I think Whatuira will attract the most attention.

I doubt Mcdonnell will go to another club, his dad is our recruitment officer ;)

I also doubt Fulton will be heading to another club as well

Harrison isn't a prop and has been played there for the last 2yrs by Sheens. I would prefer to see him causing damage running wide with another club than be wasted at ours. Harrison and SBW in the backrow with Matuia would be the most attacking combination running around in the NRL IMO.

The 2 that really concern me on the list are Rhino and Jeffery but there is a long time to go to extend their contracts.

D

Deleted member 10972

Off contract at the Roosters is:

Craig Wing
John Doyle
Heath L'Estrange
Craig Fitzgibbon
Chris Beattie
Charlie Tonga
Steve Meredith
Danny Williams (not the king hit man)
Frank-Paul Nuuausala
Adam Schubert
Grant Millington
Josh Lewis
Mitchell Pearce
Anthony Watts
Setaimata Sa
Iosia Soliola
Vince Mellars
Joel Monaghan

Ideally, if we are going to have a shot at signing O'Meley and/or O'Donnell, we would have to get rid of all the loose luggage. Therefore, L'Estrange, Beattie, Williams, Schubert, Millington, Watts would be first to go. Doyle re-signed for us for 2007 in a hope to blood Pearce into Premier League slowly. If Pearce re-signs, which he better, then Doyle should be released, or as he stated before, retire from footy. His role at the club would be similar to what Gavin Lester did with Soliola, playing an experienced hand in bringing him through the ranks. All the rest should stay, Tonga to provide experience in the Newtown ranks along with an explosive option in depth, & the others all having plenty to offer, especially Wing & Fitzgibbon, two great clubmen. The only other consideration of releasing out of those off-contract is Monaghan if he performs badly, no point re-signing him otherwise. As for players on contract who we should release, one or two of our 3 FG locks (Flannery, Anasta, Harrison). IMO, unless Flannery finds his niche at centre (in which case, bye-bye to Monaghan), or Anasta finds his feet at 5-8 (highly unlikely) we have to get rid of two of them, with the best one playing as our full-time lock. If we do this successfully, & hypothetically pick up O'Donnell & O'Meley, our 2008 team would look like:

Sydney Roosters (First Grade)

Anthony Minichiello
Amos Roberts
Iosia Soliola
Chris Flannery/Joel Monaghan (release the worst performing one)
John Williams
Jamie Soward/Braith Anasta (if Anasta, Soward to PL, if Soward, Anasta released)
Josh Lewis
Mark O'Meley
Craig Wing
David Shillington
Luke O'Donnell
Craig Fitzgibbon
Ashley Harrison

Nate Myles
Nigel Plum
Anthony Tupou
Danny Nutley

Newtown Jets (Premier League)

Shaun Foley
Shaun Kenny-Dowall
Sam Perrett
Vince Mellars
David Pangai
???????????? (Soward if Anasta is FG 5-8)
Mitchell Pearce
Charlie Tonga
George Ndaira
Shane Shackleton
Mickey Paea
Lopini Paea
Mitchell Aubusson

Steve Meredith
Setaimata Sa
Frank-Paul Nuuausala
Clifford Manua

That is a perfectly attainable side if Roosters play their cards right. Good balance of experience & youth.

Navjot

Juniors
Is craig wing definately staying at the roosters next year or is a move to penrith still on the cards?

D

Deleted member 10972

Definately staying. Rumor has it that he, along with a few other players, were on the verge of walking out because of Ricky, but the moment he left they decided to stand strong. I for one hope Wing, Fitzgibbon, Soliola, Lewis, Pearce & Meredith retire as Roosters.

Navjot

Juniors
Yeah wing has been at the joint for so long now it would be hard to see him playing for another side, i still find it strange to watch steve price now when he was a bulldog for so long.

Disco

Bench
As For Manly's off contract players

i know

Burns
Robertson
Dunley &
Williamson are

Maybe

Hicks
Watmough
Rose

The Fruit Pickers said:
Wests Tigers
Liam Fulton
Paul Whatuira
Rangi Chase
Bronson Harrison
Chris Heighington
Shannon McDonnell
Ben Jeffery
Sam Moa
Jarrod Saffy
An update....can scratch Ben Jeffery and Shannon McDonnell from that list….While I have not heard anything official an article today on the Wests Tigers website in reference to Jeffery, McDonnell and Stuart Flanagan suggest all 3 may be signed up till 2008 or even 2009…..

Excerpt from Wests Tigers website…Roar Facts - A SEASON TO REMEMBER FOR YOUNG GUNS by Wayne Cousins - Wests Tigers Media Officer
As for the future, all three are locked away for the next few years with the Wests Tigers.

Latest posts