What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contract situation is black and White

aqua_duck

Coach
At this stage if we go in with a 4 man front row rotation, (2 starting props, and 2 bench props) we should be right with Cross and Simmo starting with Tolar, Fa'aoso and Wicks fighting for 2 bench spots, however we do need someone like a Matt White who would come pretty cheaply for depth along with Timmy, and Taufua. When it comes down to it I really don't see Royal as a must to be re-signed especially not on big money considering he's 29 next year and was a nobody 6 months ago

Yosh

Coach
I personally dont think Tolar is anything special either... I would go White over Tolar, I think White has more potential and is younger however I think Royal at the moment is better then both of them. He is playing great footy now and has been all year, probably has a good 2 or 3 seasons left in him, I dont see why we dont sign him for 2 more years, decent to good money and 1 year extention opition or something...

Ciraldo is a dud.

Houston is pretty good, however he lets himself down by giving away 3409 penalties a game plus drop balls... Defense is very solid though and runs the ball pretty hard. Could become a much better player with experience.

Wicks definately could be the best player out of these guys... Needs to improve his defense immensely though, then his work rate:sarcasm:

Inferno

Coach
I don't see how you can say that.

Houston, Wicks and Ciraldo may not be performing to their potential yet, but they've shown touches of class that the likes of Royal(with the exception of the Tigers game last year) and White haven't.

These two will never be rep quality. Houston and Wicks could be, and Ciraldo has shown that he has good skills for a backrower.

Hope Ciraldo does come good, but we were waiting for 2 years for him to show something that would stamp him as a first grade regular but it never came.

Hi, Im new here:cool:

Some of you may already know me:D

But out of all our forwards i think Mark Taufua has the most potential, He's 26, and with a baby girl on the way its going to spark him so much more. and im not sure about Royal, yes he's been solid and every one has been saying well he can only get better, what if he doesnt? Id rather take two younger players for his price in White and Taufua. I'd feel safer with that.

Adsy

Juniors
Didn't know Taufua was about to become a dad. It sparked some form and extra motivation for Tolar this year so hopefully it does the same for him.

BG

Juniors
Seriously, Smith is fudging the prop figures badly if he is counting Zeb and House in the roster.

With regards to Houston, Smith did say at the press conference to announce his signing that he originally looked at him as a front-rower. He said that because Saints had subsequently used him effectively in the backrow his attributes were being re-considered and Smith felt they were getting "two [positions] for the price of one". Perhaps he has only trained in backrow since he arrived, but just going on what he said, Smith certainly saw him as prop potential initially.

Didn't know Taufua was about to become a dad. It sparked some form and extra motivation for Tolar this year so hopefully it does the same for him.

Yeah, Angie (Mark's Partner) is due in December i think.

roopy

Referee
I was thinking today that we should bring Warren Schillings into grade next season. He is in that pic of Western suburbs juniors with Walsh, Mullo, Inglis, Jon Tupou etc and was slowly developing in our 2006 and 2007 flegg sides as a prop and this year has represented Newcastle and been one of the best in the local comp.
Next year he is 22 or so and it sounds like he has continued to develop. He looks and plays like a young Jesse Royal and a good off season should see him ready to rejoin a heap of his mates in our grade list.

Adsy

Juniors
Thata boy Roops! Send an email to the Newcastle talent scouts about the young man.

aqua_duck

Coach
everyone is saying re-sign Royal, but we don't know what he's asking for and honestly 6 months ago he was a nobody. I think if Royal was 20 instead of 28 he'd be re-signed by now but we have to be careful with late bloomers, prime example Cross and Reyno

Karmawave

Bench
The reluctance or " slow " movement on re-signing Jesse Royal has to be driven by the coaching staff ( and I figure Brian Smith ) having some sort of doubt as to whether he fits into the plans for next season?

It can't be anything other than that ... surely.

De Ja Vu?

Serc

First Grade
I should like to hope he is in the plans for next season as he has easily been one of our best performing props this year, I also think someone with a few years behind him (no not footy years, but you know what I mean) is incredibly valuable in our team currently as our senior forwards are not going to be here forever, most obviously Buderus of course, but Simmo isn't going to be here forever either.

If we can hold onto Luke Macdougall for 2 years to see how he goes we can hold onto Royal for a similar pittance!