What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contracts

shaggs

Coach
Star wasn't explosive enough for league.

Our junior league is too parent friendly. All toughness/willingness to do the hard stuff, is refereed out of them.

Our junior league gets bashed regularly by the bigger, "harder" leagues.

Do t get me wrong, our players are exceptionally skillful, and some are talented footballers. They just don't want to work hard when it gets tough.

My opinion, I'm sure some of you experts will disagree.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal

Our junior league is too parent friendly. All toughness/willingness to do the hard stuff, is refereed out of them.

Do t get me wrong, our players are exceptionally skillful, and some are talented footballers. They just don't want to work hard when it gets tough.

Im with ya. on all counts there.
You reckon we will ever see a junior from the shire playing for the Sharks again?
CT is the best on offer & whilst im sure he is a good kid & all , well, hes no cooper cronk.

shaggs

Coach
Yeah I agree about chad. I'm probably his biggest fan. He is an awesome kid who I have a lot of time for.

But,

He is a manufactured 7. The kid should be at 6. Too bad he hasn't gotten any bigger cause a ball playing 13, would be his go. When I first spotted him, he was bashing big wests players a year older than him. He was the best player out of 40, across both teams.

All of those calling for peachey to be the new 9 off the bench, have already seen the player that should be.

Out of all the juniors from the dominant yarrawarah team he is the best. Mills doesn't excite me. Maybe when fit. It seems all his injuries have stolen his explosiveness. Perhaps he fits my other posts perfectly.

A few years ago there was a dominant engadine team. Barely anyone got new them. Everyone said he will play NRL, so will he etc. The only one who has gotten close is Ryan Carr. A great kid with plenty of Curtis about him. At souths now, too bad Reynolds can actually play. Ryan was signed to play 7 if Reynolds needed more time. Oh well, gotta be in the right place at the right time.

How many real juniors have we ditched that have gone on at other clubs?

webShark

Crap. Our junior league only starts to meet other leagues at Matthews Cup Level. The Toyota cup team have done better in the last 2 years when fielding more locals.

Townsend played for NSW Schools containing players from all over the state. Cronk , for Reefy,s benefit , played Union at school.

The local comp aint great but are you saying we abandon it. It is better than a couple of other Sydney comps. Dragons comp is average.

Our problem is scouting. When was the last time we got a gun junior from anywhere? Remember when we signed about 30 islanders. Now that was a great success.

shaggs

Coach
Webshark are you saying there no interleague games across the age groups?

No he is using selective quoting. You may have seen the line where I said the players were talented, but soft.

How else would they find out if they were tough enough with out playing against other districts.

Question for you webshark. How many true juniors, not scouted, born and bred sutherland shire players have come through, either for us or someone else??

3/5ths of FA is the answer.

webShark

Question for you webshark. How many true juniors, not scouted, born and bred sutherland shire players have come through, either for us or someone else??

ET, Rogers and the Limmo:)

2/5 of FA. Here's hoping.

Last edited:

newman

First Grade
I'm good mates with the Sharks SG Ball coach (queanbeyan quokkas reef) and have been to training a couple of times. Compared to other districs the Sharks have bugger all numbers of regular players to make a full pre season squad of 40 from, let alone enough elite players for a week to week 17 that can compete. It's simple mathematics. I think this year there were 6 teams in this age group to select kids from. 6. We are forced to import talent, usually through endeavour h.s and using a mix of local kids and imported talent (who usually then are classed as cronulla juniors when they are in the system for a few years) we punch above our weight and have made the semis in the last couple of years. We simply don't have enough kids playing and it's going to be a long time until we have a nationally recognised superstar junior. We should be proud that we have developed Mills, Chad, Simmo etc instead of flaming them.

shaggs

Coach
This tines 10.

Look at Penrith. They have millions to choose from, but end buying the limmo and clint newton. Sometimes the quality just isn't there.

Since when was there quokkas in queenbeyan. Aren't they native/indigenous to rottnest island? Haha. You mean Dave, Newman?

carcharias

Immortal
OT for a second here.

I was on Rottnest ( camping ) years ago when travelling around oz with mates.

We went to the pub or bar or whatever it was that sold beer there.

when we got back somebody had robbed us...they'd nicked our food and beers from our eskys.

These pricks were camped near us , anyway the next day morning my mate cracked it and went into their tent and opened there esky to find all our stuff.
Needless to stay he got it all back ...it helped that he was a psycho .

A bit later a cop came around and asked us about grafitti and stuff....so we dobbed on the thieving merkins.
Turned out one of them got pissed and played a bit of quokka soccer.
They also broke into a hall and trashed it.

So we dobbed them right in.

the best part was seeing them all get chucked off the island and then by pure luck
about a week later we just happened to be driving past the courthouse in perth I think it was.
We saw them all dressed in their court clothes waiting out the front.

Didn't we give them shit from the car .
It was unreal.

ok back on topic

My nephew goes to Endeavour sports high and plays footy.
He wants to play for the warriors....he is a kiwi...like most of the others there.
I know Ricky was doing his best to coerce the kids at that school to trial for the sharks but do any of them actually end up playing for the sharks?

Frailty

First Grade
No he is using selective quoting. You may have seen the line where I said the players were talented, but soft.

How else would they find out if they were tough enough with out playing against other districts.

Bryson Goodwin... Gymea Gorillas

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
OT for a second here.

I was on Rottnest ( camping ) years ago when travelling around oz with mates.

We went to the pub or bar or whatever it was that sold beer there.

when we got back somebody had robbed us...they'd nicked our food and beers from our eskys.

These pricks were camped near us , anyway the next day morning my mate cracked it and went into their tent and opened there esky to find all our stuff.
Needless to stay he got it all back ...it helped that he was a psycho .

A bit later a cop came around and asked us about grafitti and stuff....so we dobbed on the thieving merkins.
Turned out one of them got pissed and played a bit of quokka soccer.
They also broke into a hall and trashed it.

So we dobbed them right in.

the best part was seeing them all get chucked off the island and then by pure luck
about a week later we just happened to be driving past the courthouse in perth I think it was.
We saw them all dressed in their court clothes waiting out the front.

Didn't we give them shit from the car .
It was unreal.

ok back on topic

My nephew goes to Endeavour sports high and plays footy.
He wants to play for the warriors....he is a kiwi...like most of the others there.
I know Ricky was doing his best to coerce the kids at that school to trial for the sharks but do any of them actually end up playing for the sharks?
f**k I think that is almost a jailable offence the ole quokka sokka

Ads

First Grade
Possibly though I'm sure he played at yarrawarrah with Reece. Think he lived in the St George area but played in the shire.

Latest posts