What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cooper cronk an offseason target for the dragons

Yes Goldthorpe is the last good halfback we had, and there was an pommy guy, cant remember his name, Im pretty sure he played 7, he was an elusive runner.

Yes well Cronk would be an excellent option, far more useful than Gasnier (and probably the same price), but of all the people the Storm would let go, hes not the one to lose.. you can replace Slater or Inglis, but Smith/Cronk are critical. Unless Cronk wants to shed himself of the club and all the baggage.

J Smith is amazing in form, but its been nearly 2 years now, guess we will see later in 2010, Hornby is heart and soul, if you can keep him for cheap, put him in at hooker?

Why keep him cheap when the guy can get decent coin in England, he still would have good football in him by next year..

to_ddeath

Coach
As long as moving from a permanent base down south isn't a massive issue... then why the hell not? Surely Smith, Coops & Hornby would be roughly a million of the cap gone(not that im going to assume too much)... I'd take Cronk over just about anyone in the comp right now, Gaz included.

T.

Wobbygong

First Grade
ive heard from a reliable source (won't name for legal reasons) who is a family friend and who is a former dragons great. that the dragons have told matt cooper and ben hornby to look over to england for playing contracts next year, and with that money that plan to sign gaz and their number 1 target is cooper cronk

now ive been thinking an maby this is a good thing we would have a real halfback an gaz back and have some left over to retain players

the only thing i dont like about it is the fact that their telling life time dragons ben and matt to piss off

what are your thoughts

My thoughts? I reckon you are full of sh*te.

SilentAssassin

Juniors
Getting Cooper Cronk is just a pipe dream. Hornby wants to stay and I can't see the Dragons telling him to go look elsewhere.

Can't believe people rate Cronk over Thurston. Imagine if Thurston was playing for the Storm during 06-09. Would have easily won another grand final.

grandorient

Bench
f**k,

Is it just me; am I just a poor, simple, mis-guided fool, who rates players like Horny, Young and Coops as tough staunch Saints men. Perhaps I like living in the past !!!

But, I for one would not like to see Hornby or Cooper go anywhere, although I would luv to see Cronk at the Dragons. I guess you can't have everything. Smithy, well luv him as a Dragons player, but unfortunately, sits in the injured list much too much. Would be great to have him in the semi's and finals, though.

Who knows what the future will bring, Boyd back to the Broncs because of home sickness, and then Horny to fullback. The possibilities for the remainder of this season and the next are nearly endless.

Lets just think about this for a while.

Where's my Zoloft.

GO

dclayw

Juniors
Smithy, well luv him as a Dragons player, but unfortunately, sits in the injured list much too much. Would be great to have him in the semi's and finals, though.GO
Did he have a history of injuries at the Storm? Is the tough game he plays just catching up with him? Is it bad luck? Or what?

j0nesy

Bench
f**k,

Is it just me; am I just a poor, simple, mis-guided fool, who rates players like Horny, Young and Coops as tough staunch Saints men. Perhaps I like living in the past !!!

But, I for one would not like to see Hornby or Cooper go anywhere, although I would luv to see Cronk at the Dragons. I guess you can't have everything. Smithy, well luv him as a Dragons player, but unfortunately, sits in the injured list much too much. Would be great to have him in the semi's and finals, though.

No it's not just you - I rate these guys too. These bloke are the heart of our team. Beside, Hornby had an excellent game tonight. He just puts in week in week out, as does Young. All careers come to an end, but I don't think Hornby and Cooper are there yet, one more contract I think. As for Young, he has plenty of football left in him.

Red Bear

Referee
Pretty sad to move Hornby on, he's team captain and has been close to your best player this year. Playing much better than Jamie Soward, who was pretty average tonight and has been much of the year.

Cronk would be a great signing but it still seems harsh on both Cooper and Hornby if this were to be true.

Kiki

First Grade
Cooper Cronk wont leave Melbourne, especailly to the Dragons were he would be in constant danger of being penetrated by Kiki.

dude...what?

anyway, i would love Cooper at the Dragons but not at the expense of Coops and Hornbag. they are the heart of our team

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
There is no way that Coops or The Bag will be shown he door. It flies squarely in the face of everything Bennett is building. Its not about individual talent at Saints any more -its a TEAM ethos, above all else. No way would the show our most capped St George Illawarra Dragon, who is also our captain, the door - it would cause turmoil in the ranks and tear at our fabric. Same goes for Cooper. Both original players from the merger in the Steelers system, debuted in 2000, 200 odd games each.

f**k getting rid of our heart and soul for one player, no matter if he's a better talent.

These two blokes ARE the Dragons.

On the other hand, if the players were to approach the club and express a desire to leave for the coin in the UK, then I'd be all for getting Cronk. But unless thats the way it goes down, then no thanks.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Cooper and Cromk are silmilar type players. Both great kicking games. Not a good move dudes. They have a player like Kyle Stanley who is a great 5/8 in the making, Beau Henry a future star at halfback. Soward and Kyle will be the starting halves.

Hornby I can see as a future No.9 or back to FB with Boyd's returning to QLD. Reports I hear is that he is homesick similar to Hannant and want's to go back to QLD. Boyd was awesome against Parra and would be a HUGE loss.

Cronk would be a waste of money.

Before Gaz Saints were keen on JMoz. I would rather JMoz.

Willie Peter and Thirman whatever his name was was our next big thing and he got injured most of the time.

Matty Head awas also a gun 1/2 but had injuries. Our previous best before was Goldthorp. He made NSW for Super League.

Gas Panic!

First Grade
Cronk would not be a waste of money.

Matt Cooper and Ben Hornby have been fine servants to our club but we want premierships, not 35 year olds running around in a few years time purely for sentimental reasons.

Bennett will do what it takes to win us premierships, and if that means bringing in a gun like Cronk thats what will happen, and I for one will welcome it with open arms.

RedVee

First Grade
yep i'll second that.

I back this horse also.

f**k,

Who knows what the future will bring, Boyd back to the Broncs because of home sickness, and then Horny to fullback. The possibilities for the remainder of this season and the next are nearly endless.

Lets just think about this for a while.

Where's my Zoloft.

GO

and this is why the salary cap needs tweaking - more than tweaking in fact. I'd hate to see Hornby/Cooper/Young playing in other colours, especially when pushed.

Latest posts