What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooper Cronk sinbinning.

Meth

Staff member
Probably the most significant moment in the game. Either a penalty try was going to be awarded, or Cronk was going to be awarded.

I am interested to hear from QLD supporters whether you were happy with Cronk's action. Did he do the right thing?

I am interested to hear from NSW supporters whether you would have preferred a penalty try over a penalty, and Cronk being sinbinned.

To me, I would have been happier for Cronk to risk conceding the try and not committing the professional foul (or Slater getting to the ball, or Carney not scoring etc). If I was a NSW supporter, I'd have been happier with the penalty try (although it would have been hugely controversial, as penalty trys generally are), even though that 10 minute period ended up working out very well for NSW.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Professional foul, thats what the sinbin is for.

fair decision imo.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Hard one to call. Gus said as a coach he would have wanted Cronk to do exactly what he did, but from the looks of things, Slater would still have got there to bat the ball away.

We could have only given a try away there and still had Cronk on the field for the next ten minutes.

Either way, Parker, Slater, Hodges and Tate's injuries hurt us too much to come back in the end.

Edit - Twizzle, I don't think anyone would argue that it wasn't worth ten in the bin.

Frailty

First Grade
I wouldn't have awarded a penalty try.

Though I think Carney would have got there (especially if you account for Cronk not holding and allowing Carney to get up to full speed), but the bounce was very high, and I don't think you can say without a doubt that he would have grabbed the ball and grounded it correctly... Most would have though Dave Taylor would have as well...

Was happy for the No Try and penalty (with the sin bin of course)

RWB

Bench
I wouldn't have awarded a penalty try but if I did think it was a penalty try a sin binning would still be given. They're not exclusive and I've certainly never seen anything in the rules that suggests such a thing so I'm not sure I really get the question.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
you couldnt give a penalty try given how close slater was to the ball as well as watching taylor f**k up what could have been a simple try earlier. 10min bins are too long for most things, cant figure out why it's so hard to use a 5 min bin as well (ffs the ref only has 1 hand to hold up even for those nongs it cant be too confusing)

given the stage of the game he was better off giving up a try than spending 10 in the bin. if it was the last 5 minutes then maybe the impact is lessened but it ended up being a very costly penalty. what i found interesting is when he got back onto the field and nsw made a break he tried to hold back hayne as well...

sharknows

Bench
Carney still got to the ball slightly ahead of Slater despite the interference from Cronk. Odds are he scores in that situation. Refs can never be 100% sure that a try would be scored but that was the likely outcome in this case. Definitely a penalty try should have been awarded.....and Cronk also to the sin bin.

Meth

Staff member
For some reason, I thought it was typically one or the other...a penalty try, or a sinbinning.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Carney got to the ball first, despite wearing Cronk as a suit for most of his chase, to me that suggests that without Cronk's involvement carney likely beats Slater to the ball comfortably

if you want to talk about have no doubt etc, then scrap a penalty try as nothing is ever certain.

that being said, the sin binning ended up being more valuable points wise, it results in 12, rather than 6-8

I dont think you can award a penalty try and sin binning. It's one or the other i would think, i think they got it wrong but i can live with it given at least they took some significant action

betcats

Referee
Without Cronks interference Carney gets there imo, but there was enough doubt on it for it not to be a penalty try.

Rodent

Bench
I'd like to see professional fouls out of the game. They rob the fans of seeing how the play will pan out. I'd like to have seen whether or not Carney would have scored. Cronk blatantly cheated to prevent the try. In soccer he would have been sent off. In that situation I'd like to see a penalty try and a 10 min sin bin. If a player knows a penalty try and sin bin is the most likely result of a professional foul in a try scoring situation, they won't try it on. Even Gus Gould said Cronk did the right thing "do whatever it takes to stop the try and put it on the officials".
Whilst the rules state that a ref must be sure a try would have been scored, the players will continue to blatantly cheat. Tweak the rule!

Joker's Wild

Coach
you couldnt give a penalty try given how close slater was to the ball as well as watching taylor f**k up what could have been a simple try earlier. 10min bins are too long for most things, cant figure out why it's so hard to use a 5 min bin as well (ffs the ref only has 1 hand to hold up even for those nongs it cant be too confusing)

given the stage of the game he was better off giving up a try than spending 10 in the bin. if it was the last 5 minutes then maybe the impact is lessened but it ended up being a very costly penalty. what i found interesting is when he got back onto the field and nsw made a break he tried to hold back hayne as well...

Stewart grounded the ball before Taylor even got to it mate. It wouldnt have been given even if Taylor didnt try his superman act

On topic. I applauded Cronk actions in committing the foul at the time because he stopped a near certain try and backed his team to defend the 10min. 50/50 hindsight I guess but the amount of times I have seen teams keep their opposition scoreless or even score themselves when they are down to 12 men makes it a risk worth taking.

Last edited:

simostorm

Bench
Coaches in that situation must teach there players to do that.. thats what i got out of seeing that and hearing Gus's comment..

Mr Saab

Referee
Deserved to be binned, but you cant give him 10 mins in the bin AND a penalty try. One or the other.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Stewart grounded the ball before Taylor even got to it mate. It wouldnt have been given even if Taylor didnt try his superman act

On topic. I applauded Cronk actions in committing the foul at the time because he stopped a near certain try and backed his team to defend the 10min. 50/50 hindsight I guess but the amount of times I have seen teams keep their opposition scoreless or even score themselves when they are down to 12 men makes it a risk worth taking.

If we didn't have Corey Parker off the field with his leg butterflied open it probably would have been worth it, as Ash Harrison and Nate Myles wouldn't have been so tired in defence. Parker was fresh. Hindsight I guess.

Jason Maher

Immortal

The ultimate example was the Dragons holding Melbourne scoreless with 11 men in the semi in 1999, then proceeding to belt them on their own dunghill.

Ozzy

First Grade
Hard one to call. Gus said as a coach he would have wanted Cronk to do exactly what he did, but from the looks of things, Slater would still have got there to bat the ball away.

We could have only given a try away there and still had Cronk on the field for the next ten minutes.

Either way, Parker, Slater, Hodges and Tate's injuries hurt us too much to come back in the end.

Edit - Twizzle, I don't think anyone would argue that it wasn't worth ten in the bin.
On a side note, does anyone know how Parker got his injury?

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
On a side note, does anyone know how Parker got his injury?

I assumed he caught an errant stud in a tackle somehow. It couldn't have happened from impact, it was sliced open like a sausage. It looked deep enough to have exposed the bone.

Latest posts