What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooper Extends Dragons Contract

Willow

Assistant Moderator
As predicted. All the players are in the same Dragons team Jonno. Get over it.
Im a fan of Cooper. My ties with Cooper, and the Cooper family go back a long way before he ever wore the Red V.
And I can choose not to take your word for it. But I'm not talking about that. Read back.
jonno_knights said:
I am well within my rights to comment on a Cooper thread.
lol. The ownership of a player thing. Got it.

jonno_knights said:
All i'm doing is sticking up for the History of the Steelers. I was a Steelers supporter growing up as a kid, and am still a supporter of the Steelers and "Illawarra" part of the merger and enjoy watching the Illawarra juniors come through the system (many of whom for the Dragons). So why am I not allowed in here? Just because I dont agree with the way the Steelers are acknowledged? Ill guarentee you there are many in the same boat in the Illawarra region.
Yeah, yeah... I get it. You're a Knights fan who thinks he supports the Illawarra but dislikes St George and claims he speaks for many so he feels he is a defacto stakeholder in the Red V and is therefore qualified to tell Dragons supporters how we should support our club. Pretty close to the mark eh? It's called divisive trolling. Look it up.

God-King Dean

Immortal
223920-matt-cooper-and-chris-mcqueens.jpg

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It's still great watching that again. Extraordinary thing is that there was still some work to do as he got the ball away. Notice how Creagh and Morris come in looking to help Cooper, and then both immediately peel off to the left and right to cover the 50uff$ supports.

big pat

Coach
Im a fan of Cooper. My ties with Cooper, and the Cooper family go back a long way before he ever wore the Red V. I am well within my rights to comment on a Cooper thread.

And why would a troll write this;

All i'm doing is sticking up for the History of the Steelers. I was a Steelers supporter growing up as a kid, and am still a supporter of the Steelers and "Illawarra" part of the merger and enjoy watching the Illawarra juniors come through the system (many of whom for the Dragons). So why am I not allowed in here? Just because I dont agree with the way the Steelers are acknowledged? Ill guarentee you there are many in the same boat in the Illawarra region.

so you're a big fan of cooper, grew up as a steelers fan, yet you call yourself jonno knights, very strange.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
Im a fan of Cooper. My ties with Cooper, and the Cooper family go back a long way before he ever wore the Red V. I am well within my rights to comment on a Cooper thread.

And why would a troll write this;

Because your one gay TROLL

jonno_knights

Juniors
so you're a big fan of cooper, grew up as a steelers fan, yet you call yourself jonno knights, very strange.

No, not strange at all.

Yes Im a supporter of Cooper as I from Shellharbour, and as a kid he and Luke Bailey (as well as Barrett, Timmins etc.) spent time running steelers clinics at my junior footy club. I then went on to play for Cooper/Baileys club as I got older.

I am a steelers supporter because I had a season pass, and went along to a lot of their games. I grew up with a Steelers jersey with Wisharts number on the back, and even as a knights fan he'd have to be one of my all time favourite players.

The reason I go for the knights is one of my first ever jerseys was a knights jersey as a 3 yr old. One of my earliest rugby league memory was the 1997 grand final. I was a knights fan in the lead up to that game and its stuck ever since. I was only a 6 yr old back then, and dont have any stories like my dad brought me up following a certain side, because he was turned of league at the time due to the SL war. If not for that I could be a Balmain supporter.

Anyways, back on topic, its good to see Cooper extend his contact as I think he still has a lot to offer in the NRL, and its good to see him stay loyal, and not chase the big bucks in the SL.

Bingerz

Juniors
Awesome news...Coops has been playing really well in the past couple of years, he has kicked again. I'm confident he will be quality for us for a couple of years to come

smi962

First Grade
I love how a post about Cooper resigning gets hijacked into issues about the joint venture, rod wishart and johno's life history. And lol@50uffs, but at least that bit is still amusing.

big pat

Coach
you can never get enough of lol@souffs, and yes very happy super dooper cooper, will stay a one club man for the dragons, coops and hornby 2 favourite saints men.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Cooper wants to continue Dragons domination post Bennett

BY TIM BARROW
22 Jul, 2011 04:00 AM

Dragons centre Matt Cooper has made it his final NRL mission to help ensure St George Illawarra remain a premiership force long after Wayne Bennett heads for Newcastle.
Shrugging off interest from cashed-up English Super League clubs, the 32-year-old yesterday signed a two-year contract extension, ensuring he will be a career one-club man.

Cooper reignited the Dragons' title defence with a man-of-the-match performance in the 38-8 demolition of Cronulla on Monday night, in his first game back from a fractured cheekbone and wrist.

Having lived out his lifelong dream when he won the premiership after a decade in the NRL, Cooper said he was motivated to play a key role in coach Steve Price's project development next year.

"I didn't want to go anywhere else," Cooper said. "I want to stay here at the Dragons. I've been here my whole career and I love the club and the fans.

"We're going to lose Darius [Boyd] and Gaz [Mark Gasnier] and a couple of other younger boys and we're going to miss them.

"But we've still got a great core of players here in Dean Young, Ben Hornby, Ben Creagh, players like that. We're going to be strong next year and I'm looking forward to seeing how Steve goes.

"I rate him as a coach and as a person. I'm good mates with him and I support him all the way."

A Shellharbour junior, Cooper is the Dragons' second most-capped player with 211 games and is the joint venture club's leading try scorer with 111.

The star centre also leads the premiership try list this year with nine.

Continuing the good news for St George Illawarra, second-rower Beau Scott trained at a rain-soaked WIN Stadium yesterday. But he is yet to be cleared to play against the Raiders at Canberra Stadium on Monday night.

Cooper said his fractured cheekbone and wrist had turned into a back-handed blessing, as it had left him feeling fresh for the run in to the finals series.

"I was pretty lucky this time, it was only a couple of broken bones," said Cooper, who has struggled with hamstring and foot injuries in previous seasons.

"They heal pretty quick and it didn't limit my training too much.

"A week out of surgery and I was back running, so that's helped.

"I probably look at it as a good thing. I got to freshen up coming into the back end of the season.

"I had to look at it like that and train hard to get back on the field."

The Dragons have lost their past eight NRL games in Canberra, a hoodoo stretching back to July 2000.

Cooper, who didn't play in the victory in 2000, has failed to win in the capital in five starts.

However, he claimed the Dragons would break the drought if they reproduced the form which saw them sweep to a 24-nil lead at half-time against the Sharks.

"That first half was really good, " he said.

"If we can go down there with that attitude and put together what we did [on Monday], then hopefully the win will come."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...ination-post-bennett/2234332.aspx?storypage=0

Minh

First Grade
Cooper, Hornby, Soward, Fein, Creagh, Scott, Young, Weyman not a bad bunch of leaders taking us forward in 2012 and beyond.

Latest posts